What's new

Contract Tech questions

I'm currently in possession of a black, all-metal contract tech. I've previously been in possession of the gold all-metal contract tech, and I have a few questions:

1 - why are they called "Contract Techs"?

2 - I'm aware of 3 versions: all-metal black, all-metal gold and a metal and bakelite/plastic version. Are there others?

3 - Why the different versions?

4 - What years were the various versions produced?

Thanks in advance for your input!

US Gillette Dating Information
This chart makes no mention of the word "Contract"
but it does state that the War Production Board ordered razors and blades in 1942, 1943, and 1944.

mr-razor Tech razors
According to this page, the Contract Tech was made in 1945 and 1946,
at least those are the examples that Achim has in his collection.

Yes, I know that these two references seem to contradict each other in terms of dating.
Perhaps another member can give you a more definitive answer.

US Gillette Dating Information
This chart makes no mention of the word "Contract"
but it does state that the War Production Board ordered razors and blades in 1942, 1943, and 1944.

mr-razor Tech razors
According to this page, the Contract Tech was made in 1945 and 1946,
at least those are the examples that Achim has in his collection.

Yes, I know that these two references seem to contradict each other in terms of dating.
Perhaps another member can give you a more definitive answer.

That (the two conflicting references) is one reason why I'm tossing this out there. I'm curious as to the "real" story behind these razors, if anyone knows what the "real story" is.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

1. Gillette was contracted by the US government to supply troops with razors (these razors) during ww2.
2. Maybe the all bakelite version is also a contract tech, idk for sure.
3. Maybe to cut costs, manufacturing time, or they were experimenting to reach the most cost effective and durable solution.
These were also sold to the public, maybe Gillette wanted a bigger sortiment.
4. I have no clue, I'd guess 1941-45 military, after 45 it continued to the public.

Adam

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
During the war the US Government often contracted with a variety of companies to build the same item to the exact same specifications so that parts would be interchangeable and quantity needs met. This happened even when a given company held a patent on the design. For example the Colt 1911 .45s were made by Colt & Ithica Gun Works but also by companies from other industries like Union Switch (railroad signals) and Singer (sewing machines) and Remington (Type writers). It seems likely that the Bakelite razors in particular were contracted out to other companies than just Gillette.

It is often amazing what companies did during the War; for example Sheaffer Fountain Pen Company was a major source for bomb and shell timers and fuses.

It is often amazing what companies did during the War ...
Prior to the US entry into WW2,
both Ford Motor Company and General Motors manufactured vehicles for the German Wehrmacht,
while IBM supplied them with computers.

Hi,

Like the original Jeep, made by Bantam who also made trailers. They took the best bits from Bantam, Kaiser and Ford prototypes and made a new Jeep which Ford and Kaiser produced - and Bantam made trailers.

The bakelite handle would be to reduce brass useage, which was better off used for shell casings.

Even during my 30+ years working for IBM and GE, there are a lot of such goings-on with DoD contract work. Whatever they need, is done. Their way, of course. ;)

Note that it is always referred to as Contract (whatever it is). I would not be surprised to see Eversharp produced Contract Techs show up. Eversharp being the makers of Schick Injectors.

Stan

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Hi,

Like the original Jeep, made by Bantam who also made trailers. They took the best bits from Bantam, Kaiser and Ford prototypes and made a new Jeep which Ford and Kaiser produced - and Bantam made trailers.

The bakelite handle would be to reduce brass useage, which was better off used for shell casings.

Even during my 30+ years working for IBM and GE, there are a lot of such goings-on with DoD contract work. Whatever they need, is done. Their way, of course. ;)

Note that it is always referred to as Contract (whatever it is). I would not be surprised to see Eversharp produced Contract Techs show up. Eversharp being the makers of Schick Injectors.

Stan
Eversharp GEM razors as well so set up to make most any metal object.

Top Bottom