What's new

contest loot

Not sure I could even begin to pick. I'm truly impressed with all the sponsors of the contest, both for volunteering anything at all and for the magnitude of some of the prizes. Bravo!

(Ok, ok, I like the SR brush :tongue: That EJ chrome safety razor is nice too...)

Like everyone....almost anything would be welcome. But the Duke
or Superior brush would be my favorite, or maybe the Merkur HD,
or maybe the Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Gift Sets, or maybe
......what the hell....any of it!

For me it would be
1. the Lee's razor kit with the brush and HD.
2. Any of the brushes
3. The blade sampler

Thats just because I'm shaving with and old gillette travel razor and a Proraso brush :)

185 entries into the drawing, 58 Prizes, $2400 value ($41.38 average). Here is some statistics...

31.35% chance of winning
$12.97 Expected value

For those who don't know, expected value is basically the probability of a win multiplied by the amount of that winning. It provides an opportunity cost for entering. Assuming that the contest is run an unlimited number of times and a truly random drawing, you can expect an average of $12.97 in winnings over the long haul. Business types would tell you that if someone offered you $13 in cash to drop out of the contest, you should take it. :tongue:

BTW: This makes my 10th post. I qualify :biggrin:

Frisco,

Send me 13 dollars and I'll pull your name out of the pile! :001_tongu

Just kidding.

Nice to see so many lurkers signing up at B&B. A little bit of loot goes a long way!

-joedy

Doesn't seem right to me, all these newbies snagging the prizes, I reckon prizes should only be awarded to those of us that have done, something in the region of, erm over 800 posts maybe?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
How long do you think it will be before half of this stuff starts showing up in the shaving mall?:sneaky2:

Same thing happened over on StraightRazorPlace recently. We had a shave ready razor giveaway and I'd swear that we almost doubled our membership over a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, few decided to stick around or contribute much after the contest...Oh well, I guess there's no fighting human nature.

Cheers,
Ed

Yeah, I suppose one could have limited the contest to those who ALREADY had ten posts. But then, I assume a large part of the contest was in fact to encourage new members. And of course, much as I might like some of this stuff, it is presumably the newest members who are most likely to need it. (Recognizing, of course, that a fair number of new members are experienced classic shavers).

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
ForestryProf said:
Same thing happened over on StraightRazorPlace recently. We had a shave ready razor giveaway and I'd swear that we almost doubled our membership over a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, few decided to stick around or contribute much after the contest...Oh well, I guess there's no fighting human nature.

Cheers,
Ed

It's hard to judge participation. I haven't posted at SRP in months, but I'm on there every day.
I would hope that folks are here for more than a free gift.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
ForestryProf said:

Cheers,
Ed

The few that stick are the ones worth having I would imagine. Like any group, some want it to stay small while others want it to be the largest around. Any group worth being a part of is bound to get lots of tire kickers just checking it out.

I don't think I would have been content to just lurk and not join without the contest, but the contest definitely prompted the move. Having a 10 post requirement also forces people to jump in the water and join in. I have never seen a contest like this in any of the other forums I occassionally view, (maintaining 4 used vehicles with 2 teenagers keeps me in auto forums).

As I don't currently own a good brush, definately one of the brushes. But I would have no objections to any of it.

Top Bottom