What's new

Contest - "How cold was it?"

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
The winter of 1977 was the worst. The Ohio River was frozen over. I could walk a mile on the ice to get to Kentucky. And the streets were completely covered with ice for about 80 days.

It was the coldest winter ever.

And I’m in.

I'm in, 2015 and again in 2017....I do streetcar/rail construction....these two years happened to be streetcars in two separate cities in the US midwest. Same situation on both, racing to get done, doing testing with cars and hot lines, so, middle of the night work. 2015 was in march, and thermometer shows -5F out, no idea what the wind chill was. 2017 was in January, thermometer showed -8F, brake lines freezing on our trucks (water vapor in the air brakes). Neither was fun...both required a full beard which I didn't have :)

Well, yesterday was the coldest day I ever experienced. I live about 45 miles northwest of the Chicago loop (about an hour away from the Captain). When I went out to get the newspaper, the temperature was - 27 degrees F with a 17 mph wind. Thus, the wind chill was down around -55 degrees. I was only outside for about a minute layered with long johns, my flannel pajamas and a pair of blue jeans, but my legs still got cold. I wish I had insulated snow pants.

In the afternoon, the temperature warmed up to a balmy -17 degrees.

This morning, I woke up to a temperature of - 28 degrees, which was even colder than yesterday, but there was little wind, so it did not feel as cold.

I live about 25 miles from Woodstock, IL, the home of Woodstock Willie of Ground Hog Day movie fame. This Saturday Willie will wake up to be greeted by hundreds of fans standing in snow hoping that he sees his shadow and we will have only six more weeks of what has been a brutal winter in Northern Illinois. However, even if he does see his shadow, I suspect we are still in for at least 8 more weeks of winter. We may still have snow on the ground in April.

I am not entering the contest as I already have a few Captain's Choice soaps. The Captain's Bay Rum is my favorite bay rum scent and the new Venture scent is wonderful.

It was -1 degree this morning in The Bronx in New York City! I could see people out of the window in my hospital window scurrying around to get to their destinations as quickly as possible! It got up to about 6 degrees when I left the hospital around noon! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! It was the coldest I ever experienced in New York City!

Last edited:
And-the-winners-are-graphic.jpg

Random.org has selected our winners. Recall the first two numbers selected each have $30.00 to spend in our store. Then the third winner receives our Copper lather bowl that is a "second." The fourth winner receives our Cobalt lather bowl which is a "second."

The winners are:

1. Toothpick - $30.00 gift card

2. Rory1262 - $30.00 gift card

3. dladuke - Copper lather bowl

4. Frozenshades - Cobalt lather bowl

Congratulations to our winners and thank you to everyone for such interesting stories. Now, stay warm out there!

~ The Captain

I lived in the middle of Maine as a teenager in the mid 80's. A couple of friends and I decided we would walk about a mile across this lake to a friends cabin and do some ice fishing. Oh and also drink a 12 pack we had gotten our hands on. There was no road to this cabin so you either got there by boat or across the ice in the winter. The cabin was only 3 season but it had a woodstove so we figured we'd spend the day fishing then spend the night in the cabin knocking back some brews. Unfortunately no one paid much attention to the weather forecast...............

After a day of fishing we went into the warm cabin and preceded to drink. About 9 o'clock that night the beer was gone and we noticed it was getting colder in the cabin. No problem threw some more wood in and scooched closer to the stove. Over the next two hours the cabin got colder and colder. One friend took an old army cot and stuck it up in the rafters because it was slightly warmer up there. We realized at our current pace we would run out of wood fairly soon. The decision was made to head back to town on the other side of the lake. We started to walk back across. The wind was howling and blasting the snow across the frozen lake. I have never been so cold before or since. We stumbled into my house which was just off the lake and crowded around the woodstove. Come to find out an Alberta Clipper was blowing through. It was -18F and -32F wind chill according to the weather guy. Every few years I see some of the old friends and we still talk about the death march across that lake.

LOL I was in the middle of typing my story then got pulled off onto something else for a bit. By the time I finally finished and posted it was over!! Maybe next time! Congratulations to all the winners!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Thanks Scott!! I’m going with the 45th Parallel shave balm. Will replace my current balm I’m just about out of.

Cheers and thanks to Scott for his ongoing support of the B&B community.
I entered with my wife in mind and shall see what strikes her fancy.
She loves to make lather for her evening face-washing regimen...so one of the bowls could be the thing.
Being Japanese, she appreciates the art of ceramics, but the copper bowl is a beaut too.

congratulations to the winners. If you have never used these products you're in for a treat. Had to bust out the North Soap/AS/ASB Wednesday due to polar vortex temps.

View attachment 948499

Random.org has selected our winners. Recall the first two numbers selected each have $30.00 to spend in our store. Then the third winner receives our Copper lather bowl that is a "second." The fourth winner receives our Cobalt lather bowl which is a "second."

The winners are:

1. Toothpick - $30.00 gift card

2. Rory1262 - $30.00 gift card

3. dladuke - Copper lather bowl

4. Frozenshades - Cobalt lather bowl

Congratulations to our winners and thank you to everyone for such interesting stories. Now, stay warm out there!

~ The Captain

Congratulations to the winners!

Great products given and to choose from a great vendor.

Top Bottom