What's new

Contest - "How cold was it?"

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Not in, thanks, but I was up in Minnesota just last week, and this was about as cold as I've ever been in ... phone screenshot:

Very thankful I'm not there tomorrow! Great people up there, great food: will cross fingers for them ...

AA

I was living in Ohio around 15 years ago, not the absolute coldest place on earth but we got the wind whipping across the lake at times and it could get into the below zero digits without the wind chill. Add in the wind chill and you could be negative twenty or more at times.

So my daughter is about 10 years old and I'm doing this thing called Indian Princesses (name has since been changed to a more politically correct Adventure Princesses) with her. It's a father daughter thing where you get put into a group with a dozen or so other dads and daughters. You meet monthly at one of the kids houses, they do a craft activity, the kids play and have a great time. There are several camping trips throughout the year that we all help plan as well as several other events. Fund raisers, charity events, day trips, hiking, canoeing, etc The camping trips are a big deal as they're all of the tribes so like three to four hundred people. Lot's of activities, campfires, archery, bonfires, crafts, etc. It's a really nice way to get some one on one time with your daughter and they have a great time with all of their friends. My daughter loved it.

So one of the Winter camping trips fell on what happened to be the coldest day of the year, which was also the coldest day that it had been in several years. Temperature was -9 degrees, with the wind chill it was like negative thirty something. I'd been in a lot of cold weather but this was the coldest day I've experienced. We're talking long john's under your jeans, hunting boots, a couple pairs of socks, about three shirts under a sweatshirt covered by a down filled coat, a warm hat, waterproof Gortex gloves and a thick scarf. So cold that every time you blinked your eyelashes would stick shut. The kids didn't even want to go outside in it to sled ride. Some went down the hill once and that was enough, then into the cabin they went.

It was a Friday and we left for camp as soon as I could get away from work. We weren't late but we were the last ones to arrive and naturally got the bunk beds closest to the door. Fortunately we did have a cabin, and very good sleeping bags, but the cabin was a bit rustic and it wasn't what I'd call warm by any means even with the heater going at full blast all night long it was still freezing.

The kids got the top bunks and wanted to push all of the beds together so that they could sleep in what would become one giant bed. Problem is that the dads aren't too fond of this idea. I have no desire to sleep next to Sara's dad. I mean he's a really nice guy and all, but I don't want to sleep with him. Anyway, the beds stay where they were at with ours right by the door.

One of the dads was up all night having some stomach issues and the bathroom was around 50 yards from the cabin. So every 20 minutes he'd leave the cabin and walk to the restroom before returning to the cabin again to repeat the process. The cabin wasn't even remotely warm nor could it get warm and every 20 minutes I'd hear "I'm so sorry" as the door would open and close again. This went on all night long.

Most of the guys bailed after the first night and skipped the second night all together. My daughter said "let's go home, it's too cold here" and that was good enough for me. We both ended up with colds after that trip.

Not in but here's my story.

I was in San Juan Puerto Rico when my office called and said I needed to get to Duluth, MN. It was in early March in the 1970s. I picked a flight from San Juan PR to Chicago. When I left San Juan it was 86 degrees and very humid. I arrived at O'Hare airport where it was 0 degrees. I then had to board a Convair airplane operated by North Central Airlines. In those days you boarded such airplanes by using steps that exposed you to the elements. All I had on was a light-weight business suit and a raincoat without a liner. Next stop was Green Bay WI where it was -10 and windy. I froze boarding that flight. Finally, I arrived in Duluth where the actual temperature was -15 but the wind chill factor was -25. My fingers, toes,ears, etc. felt as if they were on fire. I was shivering from the cold. A regional office rep met my flight and told me we were booked at a Best Western Motel overlooking Lake Superior. The rooms doors faced the lake. Every time you opened the doors the temperature of the room dropped 15 degrees. At 7:00 a.m. there was a knock on my door and a woman dressed in a snowmobile suit brought me a carafe of coffee. The coffee was cold and when I opened the door the temperature dropped tremendously. I found out there was a regular hotel in downtown Duluth and checked out of the Best Western and into the Radisson. I was there for four days and this was the first time I had experienced such extreme weather. Going from 86 degrees to -15 in one day is cruel and unusual punishment.

That was my first of many trips to such places as Fargo, International Falls, Duluth, Bemidji, Great Falls, Houlton, etc.

Did the Captain's original post actually specify what he is so kindly offering? I didn't see anything in particular.

My gosh, details details - and that is not a strong suit of The Captain. Hmmmm, lemme see...

How about a "gift certificate" where the two winners each have $30.00 to spend in our store?

It gets better, guess what I found? I have two lather bowls that are seconds. One copper and one cobalt. So for these... hmmm, how about we have FOUR winners? The first two have money to spend and #3 gets the copper bowl and #4 gets the Cobalt lather bowl? Yes, let's go with that.

Will let it run another day or so since the next two days here are scheduled to be -26 now. Wind chill drives it to -45.

IMG_0092.jpeg

For me, the coldest will be happening tomorrow, -9 with a windchill of -40 or so. Unfortunately I probably won't have a story to tell as I will be working at home. I will update if I have any unexpected adventures.

I once drove from Cleveland to Sandusky (about 90 minutes) with the car heater on full blast in defrost mode with ice on the inside of the front window the entire way there. It never melted the entire way there. It was like negative ten degrees with the wind chill putting it in the negative thirties. The wind whipping off Lake Erie when it's that cold is unpleasant to say the least.

The coldest day i remember was last year in january i had to shovel snow for 12 hours straight for my landscaping job to help people who lived in condos in Illinois. it was rough and it was almost below 0 but it was nice putting up with the cold to help people and be thanked :001_smile we were back logged due to on coming snow and these condos were very large. we removed snow from morning to night with shovels and snowblowers from door step to walkways then shoveled by garages 5 ft out so plow could get in. it made me appreciate warmth.

Last edited:
Not in but here's my story.

I was in San Juan Puerto Rico when my office called and said I needed to get to Duluth, MN. It was in early March in the 1970s. I picked a flight from San Juan PR to Chicago. When I left San Juan it was 86 degrees and very humid. I arrived at O'Hare airport where it was 0 degrees. I then had to board a Convair airplane operated by North Central Airlines. In those days you boarded such airplanes by using steps that exposed you to the elements. All I had on was a light-weight business suit and a raincoat without a liner. Next stop was Green Bay WI where it was -10 and windy. I froze boarding that flight. Finally, I arrived in Duluth where the actual temperature was -15 but the wind chill factor was -25. My fingers, toes,ears, etc. felt as if they were on fire. I was shivering from the cold. A regional office rep met my flight and told me we were booked at a Best Western Motel overlooking Lake Superior. The rooms doors faced the lake. Every time you opened the doors the temperature of the room dropped 15 degrees. At 7:00 a.m. there was a knock on my door and a woman dressed in a snowmobile suit brought me a carafe of coffee. The coffee was cold and when I opened the door the temperature dropped tremendously. I found out there was a regular hotel in downtown Duluth and checked out of the Best Western and into the Radisson. I was there for four days and this was the first time I had experienced such extreme weather. Going from 86 degrees to -15 in one day is cruel and unusual punishment.

That was my first of many trips to such places as Fargo, International Falls, Duluth, Bemidji, Great Falls, Houlton, etc.

I live in south central MN and I really enjoy the Duluth area. I don't think I've ever experienced such a change in temperature in such a short time as I did in Duluth. It was a nice sunny day and we were goofing around on the shore of Lake Superior. The wind was blowing off of the lake and it was freezing! It was so cold we had to cut our time short. A couple of hours later we were at the Duluth zoo which was out of the wind and it was so hot I was sweating!

Not in. :em2300:

Went dog sledding with our troop north out of Ely along the Canadian border just prior to Christmas one year. Out four days and three nights. No tents. Seriously. Each of the twenty-four of us were in a "sleeping system" and we were very comfortable. Essentially a sleeping bag with layers of foam and air underneath you, all inside a breathable nylon sack. Slept every night on whatever lake we had arrived at. First task was to use an ax to chop a hole in the ice for water. Froze getting into the bag and froze for the first five minutes getting out. Drawstring cinched down tight around your face so only your mouth and eyebrows were exposed. Beans were not served for dinner for obvious reasons. :yikes: One Scout was stumbling around in his frozen boots first thing in the morning and had frost coating his eyebrows, I have the picture. Coldest night according to Ely was -17 degrees. No wind at all during the trip, just still. No wildlife spotted either. Our boots were frozen for the first half hour after putting them on until body heat softened the rubber. A shower never felt better upon our return to base and I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Not in. :em2300:

Went dog sledding with our troop north out of Ely along the Canadian border just prior to Christmas one year. Out four days and three nights. No tents. Seriously. Each of the twenty-four of us were in a "sleeping system" and we were very comfortable. Essentially a sleeping bag with layers of foam and air underneath you, all inside a breathable nylon sack. Slept every night on whatever lake we had arrived at. First task was to use an ax to chop a hole in the ice for water. Froze getting into the bag and froze for the first five minutes getting out. Drawstring cinched down tight around your face so only your mouth and eyebrows were exposed. Beans were not served for dinner for obvious reasons. :yikes: One Scout was stumbling around in his frozen boots first thing in the morning and had frost coating his eyebrows, I have the picture. Coldest night according to Ely was -17 degrees. No wind at all during the trip, just still. No wildlife spotted either. Our boots were frozen for the first half hour after putting them on until body heat softened the rubber. A shower never felt better upon our return to base and I would do it all again in a heartbeat.
awesome story! I hope you guys made it back safe!

Great offer, I'm in!

I lived outside Chicago for a few years when I was young and once we had severe blizzard conditions for a few days. Snow doesn't cancel school there, but when it's around -60F with wind chill and being outside for more than 2-3 minutes can leave you frost bitten they will!

I was in a cross country Ski race north of Tabernash Colorado ay ten below.
The snow crunched with every stride and it took a while to get warmed up.
Skiing in the trees and skiing uphill kept you warm, but when you skied out of the trees, it was a chilling experience.
Stay warm. Ski on!!

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Life time Duluthian here, where -20 is not that big of deal (Although my car did not start this morning...) I have camped out in -29 with gusty winds and found the key was staying busy and moving during the day without ever sweating, and then having a quality sleeping bag and pads - no tents for me in the winter. Finally, a pee bottle is a great idea so you don't have to get all the way out of your sleeping system when nature calls.
But my coldest night out ever was a descent from the summit of Mt Assiniboine after a nice climb. It is an easy mountain to get benighted on. I think I was too slow, and my partner's headlamp burned out on the way down so we had to stop rappelling in the dark. I had a ledge to sit on, and a thin rain shell for a jacket, and to be honest it was barely below freezing, but it was the longest and coldest night of my life. We had no food left and the water was soon gone. I put my legs into my empty backpack and pretended it was a sleeping bag. I think I checked my watch every 10 mn, hoping for morning. At times, I did sit-ups to warm up. And although we still had to get off the mountain, walk 20 some miles back to the car with no food, I don't think I ever saw such a lovely sunrise.

Im in.
Well I was going to say about 15 years ago in Utah, it was hitting below zero. My dad aas driving in the mountains with chains on the tires. Pretty scarry as a kid seeing all that snow and a steep drop.

However Illinois is about to hit -50 windchill, so that beats anything I have ever experienced.

Excellent idea, I'm in!

Currently, the temperature here is -27 degrees but only feels like -54 degrees with wind chill. This is the new record for the coldest day I can remember, and I think it's supposed to reach -32 actual temperature by early AM. The coldest day I remember before this was as a wee lad waiting for the bus in elementary school. For some reason, I always had to be the first in line for the school bus, so I was at the stop early as usual. I knew it was going to cold, so I dressed appropriately for what was about -23 degrees. Nobody else was showing up to the bus stop and my mother comes out to inform me that school was cancelled. Nothing like waiting until the last second to tell a guy.

Not in, but I lived here - Google Maps - for 7 years.
-40ᵒ (no wind chill) was not uncommon in January.
The worst of it was having to chop through 4-6 feet of ice to get a fishing hole.

The coldest I ever been was monitoring some youth on a winter overnight about 10 years ago. Nothin even close to the freeze you all are having over there!

Any way, the evening started out just fine...until, right before lights out, the heat went out! The temps dropped well close to zero that night. To top it off, I was the last one to bed... the last space open was a lazy-boy that didn’t decline and I found out that my sleeping bag had been forgotten! I only had a flimsy blanket one of the kids wasn’t using.

One of the most miserable nights of my life - cold, barely covered, sleeping (well trying to) upright, after spending a full evening exerting myself keeping an eye on pre-teens!

Top Bottom