What's new

Contest - guess the new name!

congrats, good name too. Although personally I still prefer "Ocean Breeze soap..it's like taking an ocean voyage except there's no boat and you don't go anywhere."

Let me apologize if you mentioned it somewhere else and I missed it.

Which of the 2 scents was chosen?

Let me apologize if you mentioned it somewhere else and I missed it.

Which of the 2 scents was chosen?

Has not been mentioned before so I'm glad you asked. We had this out with over two dozen volunteers, some here, some on our Facebook, some relatives/neighbors. It was very nearly a tie, 15-13 in favor of "B." I actually spent a lot of time rereading each review and it was clear that although "B" won out that in the case of both versions there were volunteers who were very enthusiastic about the one they chose. So "A" had some real vocal fans.

That caused me to reflect back on our first aftershave, Bay Rum. It was very well received right off the bat. It has been our top seller for ten years running now. But I kept getting emails from guys who would ask if I could tweak it to give it some more burn. After a year of that I knew I didn't want to alter a winning formula - maybe I would develop a second formula with more burn to it. Thus, Cat O' Nine Tails was created. And from the day it was released it has been our number two seller.

Which brings me to Land Ho! The formula for Land Ho! is the "B" version, that was the winner and it happens to be my favorite as well. The news gets better. The "A" version will be available in Land Ho! as well. Here is how it will be done. The "A" version will have the same label but a sticker will be put onto the label indicating "RESERVE." That version will only be available directly from Captain's Choice, not any retailers and will sell for the same price.

Well, the B version is one I can get behind with a purchase. It pairs very well with Houbigant Fougere Royale, one of my favorite colognes.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You've ALMOST got me ready to risk the wrath of my lovely War Department Cap'n! Both sound really good my friend.

You've ALMOST got me ready to risk the wrath of my lovely War Department Cap'n! Both sound really good my friend.

Both are nice scents.

My leaning was to the "A" scent because it had twice the lasting power.

If you use EDC "B" would be the choice.

Just get them both and decide for yourself.

We have been doing all of the behind-the-scenes stuff on this new scent. We have the aftershave formula for Land Ho! nailed down and are now working on getting the soap, cream, and balm products to match the aftershave experience when used. This takes longer than you may imagine since all four products have a different viscosity.

Label design on all products is being finalized. Often the label designed can have a different tint to it in the design when compared to the actual label from the commercial printer. For instance, the test batch we just received today is way too light so back to the designer to darken slightly, then buy another batch from the printer. We can get close at the outset but there is always this back and forth to get just the tone we are after.

Product description I write myself and then send in to a brainiac who is a serious wordsmith. They edit and massage it for the sake of clarity and flow. This brainiac also happens to be an employee who has a very exacting personality. You won't find any crooked labels coming out of our factory I can assure you.

Here are the two product descriptions for the two aftershave products:

Land Ho!

The cheerful personality of this pleasant and cheerful scent will make you grin every time! Our interpretation of the classic Fougere scent will beckon you to inhale deeply again and again. The crisp, soothing profile has a light citrus forward with lavender in the background that captivates upon application.

Land Ho! RESERVE

Land Ho! RESERVE is only available directly from Captain’s Choice. It is the result of a “happy accident,” shall we say. During development, two variations of Land Ho! were created and presented to dozens of volunteers. Both versions had enthusiastic fans, and RESERVE was the very close runner up to the slightly more popular Land Ho! Interestingly, this version was the favorite of wives and girlfriends of the volunteers surveyed. Some comments: “That smells like a guy, very masculine.” “Oh, I like that one — it smells incredible.” “I wouldn’t mind if you smelled like that one bit!”

RESERVE is a separate formulation entirely, with hints of spice and a sweetness faintly reminiscent of vanilla. Top notes, middle notes, and base notes blend seamlessly into a smooth, more prominent fragrance. Many volunteers noted a sweet tobacco leaf scent that lingered upon dry down. RESERVE has an earthiness and distinct masculine personality to it with greater longevity.

When will this be available?

We are looking at end of August, Ted. Final stages of label design getting the light green tone just how we want it. The only way to do it is to have small batches printed and shipped until it is right. Meanwhile the scent concentrations on the soap, cream, and balm are being finalized over the next week. By the time it is a go and all products are finished it takes longer than you would imagine. It may well be that the aftershave is done first, it usually is.

Is this going to be made into a soap as well. It is a really nice scent.

Thanks for the compliment, we have had long-time customers insist that this may well displace our #1 seller Bay Rum. We will see!

And yes, we will have it available in all product lines - aftershave, soap, cream, and balm. Even right now we are calibrating just the right fragrance levels in all four lines. Four different viscosities means it takes time to get right since we want the customer experience to be equal irrespective of what item they are using.

Thanks for the compliment, we have had long-time customers insist that this may well displace our #1 seller Bay Rum. We will see!

And yes, we will have it available in all product lines - aftershave, soap, cream, and balm. Even right now we are calibrating just the right fragrance levels in all four lines. Four different viscosities means it takes time to get right since we want the customer experience to be equal irrespective of what item they are using.

I can not wait for the line to be available.

Top Bottom