What's new

Contest for Independence Day

4th-july-US-Independence-day-2018-1.jpg

Not referred to as July 4th here on the good ship Captain's Choice. It was and is Independence Day which brings up a fun twist on this contest. When was a time you really felt the sense of independence? The turning over of a new leaf, starting a new chapter, taking a fresh start at life?

What was it and how did it feel to you, that new sense of independence in your bones? Tell us your story and you will be entered in the contest. Random.org will draw the winning entry, or maybe draw more than one - stay tuned.

What can you win? Hows about a $50.00 credit to be spent right here: All Products — Captain's Choice

That is right - peruse the store and select at will. This is CONUS only please due to shipping expense. Good luck to each of you and let's hear your story!

Awesome giveaway. My sense of independence came upon graduation as a Warrant Officer. I had a new position and training that enabled me to see new possibilities, although with new responsibilities. It also gave me the motivation to pursue new educational goals.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leaving home. Pretty scary but I knew I wasn't going back. For better or worse I was my own boss.

Leaving home and moving 300 miles away in my late teens was true independence.

A true feeling of Independence day in itself was celebrating the day back in 1976.

Odd. I've never felt independent.

I've always been tired to someone or something.

I guess I have something to look forward to after all.

Tomorrow makes eleven years of Independence for me. I stopped being a slave to the good times. They weren't all that good anyways. I now take that money and spend it on shave gear. I guess not all that free after all. Thanks for the chance to try some new stuff.

A time that I felt independent was when I graduated out of university. It was an odd feeling at graduation because it did not feel like much change. However, a day after graduation, it hit me pretty hard. No more days of procrastinating for that next paper. No more winter breaks. No more tests to study for the night before. The real world hits you pretty hard.

I was free to do whatever but that independence comes at a cost. Now I have to work towards a career and build myself towards something that I can achieve for. Career, experience, family, and etcs. Nothing comes easy and the work life hasn't been easy. However, now that I am free from the "shackles" of education, I can slowly climb towards the goal. Although I do appreciate all the knowledge from university, it definitely feels nice to step out into a career and work towards the prize.

Also, it allows me to enjoy all the wet shaving gears so that's a big plus as well! I think I'm done with my brush collections... or am I? :001_cool:

My first real sense of independence was the week I came back from my honeymoon, gathered the last of my things, and said “goodbye” to my parents. My wife and I got married in our very early 20s, both right out of our parents’ homes, never having lived away from them before. We had chosen to move 3+ hours away (not an astronomical distance for many I know) for my degree and because of finances there was no way we could move back if something happened, it was truly sink or swim!

It was probably the better start to our than marriage we could have ever asked for. We learned the hard way a lot, but we did it with out a “crutch”, and we did it “independently” together.

This year will be #16!

I have begun to feel independent of work demands. We’ve had a recent reorganization that was, as near as I can tell, not thought through at all well. I have had so much piled on that I couldn’t get half done. So now I am not going to worry about it. I’ll do what I can and someone else can worry about the rest. I’m not going to sweat it

My first sense of independence came back in 1970 when I graduated from high school in Hawaii and went to college in Ohio. Not only was it nearly 2500 miles from where I called home, but it was a totally different culture and a totally different experience to be starting college. I found out very quickly that I had to learn and observe and change my perception of my small universe. I also found out that my history was not known and so I could make anything up and change myself in the process.

BTW - before moving there, my cousin gave me two barber's shears and two Weck hair shapers so I could trim my own hair and always look presentable. I used the Weck to double as a straight razor, and when I returned to wet shaving about five years ago, I pulled out the Weck and started using those. Another lesson learned from my first moment of independence.

My life has been a series of independence days. June 26, 1989 I gave up my party way of life...so far so good. On June 30, 2002 I had my last cigarette. I've been free of alcohol and tobacco, now I need to learn to eat sensibly.

My big independence day was leaving college & being posted to a ship in a place I'd never been. All new people to meet, new friends to make & a new life of experiences to have. Never regretted & never looked back. It was strange to be on my own & responsible for me.

Thought it might be fun to chip in here but don't enter me in the contest. :001_smile

My Independence Day came when I was fired from my job. It sure didn't feel like it at the time but looking back it was the beginning of a new day for me. There we were newly married with two old cars living in an apartment, I was fired and had decided to start my own business. I am sure my father-in-law was having second thoughts about his new son-in-law. In fact, he did his best to discourage me at the news of my new business saying, "Well, this will be a good lesson for you." I recall not taking it personally but just thinking, "We will see."

Being fired is what it took for me to start a small distribution company that I ran for 28 years before launching Captain's Choice. I even put the word "Liberty" in the name of the distribution company for the feeling it gave me. Not like it set the world on fire but it provided a living and independence which I value.

Thought it might be fun to chip in here but don't enter me in the contest. :001_smile

My Independence Day came when I was fired from my job. It sure didn't feel like it at the time but looking back it was the beginning of a new day for me. There we were newly married with two old cars living in an apartment, I was fired and had decided to start my own business. I am sure my father-in-law was having second thoughts about his new son-in-law. In fact, he did his best to discourage me at the news of my new business saying, "Well, this will be a good lesson for you." I recall not taking it personally but just thinking, "We will see."

Being fired is what it took for me to start a small distribution company that I ran for 28 years before launching Captain's Choice. I even put the word "Liberty" in the name of the distribution company for the feeling it gave me. Not like it set the world on fire but it provided a living and independence which I value.
Sometimes things work out for the better when your back is up against the wall and failure is not an option. :thumbsup:

Great story. Thanks for sharing it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing Scott! We’re sure glad things turned out the way they are now for CC!

My independence was just about a month ago. I was told I had a cancer growth on my kidney in February. So surgery was the only option. It was my 1st in my young ha ha 57 years.
But it was taken out. And oh yes the most painful thing ever I had my independence of this cancer on April 16th.
Your health is EVERYTHING. Most times you can create a better healthy lifestyle. But sometimes you just get dealt a bad card.
Captain also thanks so much for sharing your independence story with us as well.

Scott thank you for the opportunity found in this contest and for your story.

As one who has just been "laid-off" (read fired) in the past 2 weeks after 15 years with a company, I have taken your reflection from history to heart. You are a generous man to be sure.

My independence was just realized and what to do with it now is going to take some regrouping and some soul searching on my part... wish me luck!

-Robby

Scott thank you for the opportunity found in this contest and for your story.

As one who has just been "laid-off" (read fired) in the past 2 weeks after 15 years with a company, I have taken your reflection from history to heart. You are a generous man to be sure.

My independence was just realized and what to do with it now is going to take some regrouping and some soul searching on my part... wish me luck!

-Robby
boy, can I relate. I work in the newspaper industry (a troubled one to be sure). I was laid off after 22 years with the company (plus numerous awards, promotions, etc). The paper I work at now (7 years) is dwindling. I used to be part of a team of 6 and now I'm all alone after layoffs and attrition. Of course, they still expect the same results when we had 6, without a pay increase.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
My first sense of independence came when I grew up and moved out if my run down neighborhood. The only thing to do there was to get into trouble.

I learned there is life and experiences without having to watch your back or worry about a person's motivation for doing something for you. I learned I could break the chains, not follow the status quo of being helpless and accepting things the way they are. I didn't have to be poor. I didn't have to depend on the government to take care of me. I didn't have to be on welfare. I didn't have to get in trouble with the law. I could be a good person. I could have moral fiber.

I could succeed in life and not be in the rut everyone else in the neighborhood was in.

Hope everyone has a nice Independance day. Thanks for your generosity, Scott.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom