What's new

Contest - $50.00 gift card to the winner!

first job was washing dishes and busing tables in the 80s as a young teen at Knoebles amusement resort. I remember it was $1.65 an hour. my bosses were husband and wife who were very nice bosses. my whole family worked at this park at one time or another. the park is still going strong today and been around for about a 100 years. if ever in PA check it out.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
first job was washing dishes and busing tables in the 80s as a young teen at Knoebles amusement resort. I remember it was $1.65 an hour. my bosses were husband and wife who were very nice bosses. my whole family worked at this park at one time or another. the park is still going strong today and been around for about a 100 years. if ever in PA check it out.
I made that much my first job that wasn't mowing lawns, etc.

LOL! Thought I was rich doggone!

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Here is a winner.

pri.jpg

My first job was at a software firm at the age of 24.
As a tester or anything I could work on.
I learnt about people backstab each other
-the rat race wherein all fall in to say yes and jump on each other to reach at the top.

-all want help on their plate but no one's to pay back when its their time

Within a span of 1yr i almost had 3-4 managers unofficially.
For 1 entire month i learnt whats it like to sit on bench and learn something else.

Official manager was wonderful unofficial were all crap with over expectations to work on everything within just a few months.

Then came the sacrifice of personal time although i went there early we were never supposed to go out early. It gave a wrong impression.

Was at a client location for a month

After a year based on performance appraisal got 5/5 and was transferred to another location where health took on toll with shivering cold and fog the entire day.

Then i got my golden ticket to resign or continue.
I just hanged my id card selected quit and that day was the best day of my life.
Now I'm self employed

My first job was selling magazines door to door. A friend did it and talked me into it. An adult, I was 14 at the time, dropped us off and gave us an hour to sell the high priced mags. This was definitely a job I was not out for, at all!! About 50% of the doors were slammed on me and the others had no interest in purchasing any mags. I ended up with no sales. This. BTW was in the late 50s. I tried once more and was threatened ha if I made no sales again I would be left in the neighborhood to find my way home.

After that I was a lot boy at a car dealership and later taught Geology labs in college. Pay was $ an hour, which I thought was great...taught me that I wanted a steady job, none of this part time work. So after college I was commissioned in the USMC, just in time for VietNam. Great timing!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My first job was selling magazines door to door. A friend did it and talked me into it. An adult, I was 14 at the time, dropped us off and gave us an hour to sell the high priced mags. This was definitely a job I was not out for, at all!! About 50% of the doors were slammed on me and the others had no interest in purchasing any mags. I ended up with no sales. This. BTW was in the late 50s. I tried once more and was threatened ha if I made no sales again I would be left in the neighborhood to find my way home.

After that I was a lot boy at a car dealership and later taught Geology labs in college. Pay was $ an hour, which I thought was great...taught me that I wanted a steady job, none of this part time work. So after college I was commissioned in the USMC, just in time for VietNam. Great timing!
Thank you for your service my friend. My first job now that I think of it was selling "Grit" newspaper, weekly. I want to say it cost 25¢ and I got to keep a nickel and earn prizes. I STILL have a little metal safe I earned from that...

My family farms. First job was carrying a sandbox bucket with 🐖 feed. Buckets kept getting bigger as I did until they were about 50 pounds each. Got 20 bucks for gas and a movie on the weekend. Thought I was rich!

Old thread, but my first job was as a mate on a party fishing boat. (Think 40 old geezers on a 65' wooden boat drift fishing.) Pay was 2.50 an hour, completely under the table as I was 14 and you needed to be 16 to work that job. The real money was in tips - knowing that the old men wanted a fresh beer before the old one went dry, and family with kids needed help untangling lines and baiting hooks. That, plus 25 cents per fish to fillet them when we got to the dock. Good old Captain Speedy passed away a while back, but the Jib VI is still plying the waters 35 years later.

First job though no pay was pitching bales on my grandfather's farm. In Saskatchewan. Very nice. 90 degrees, 70% humidity. It was every boys fantasy. My first paying job was collecting shopping carts at Woolco, now Walmart in Saskatoon. Same summer weather but it added the fascinating dimension of doing it in the winter too when it was 20 below. All for the princely sum of $2.75 an hour.

18-year-old working at a summer job in a factory, a job that my father had gotten me through a friend at church who owned the factory. Two months later I got fired, For not making the part rate however this particular foreman had a reputation of running through employees.

Fast forward about six years later, my parents got divorced and this church friend was killed in a car accident. My father ended up marrying his widow and raising his daughter. awkward at family holidays, As I always had a dislike for this family after my brief experience working with them.

Just shows the importance of treating people with respect and fairly because you don’t know when your paths might cross again.

Top Bottom