What's new

Contender #1 - Simpson PJ3 Thread

First Use

Once you soak this brush in hot water, it REALLY opens up and only then do you get an idea of just how large this brush is. While it may only be a 24MM knot, because it is so dense, it acts like a 26mm shavemac. Although it is large, it is by no means unweildly or hard to control, and its density and size still allow for one to "build up" lather on your face, and control the application of lather. It is much larger than its brother, the PJ2 (see pictures below) and as a result does not have the light/agile feel of the PJ2, however the greater size allows for a more luxurious feel. It did a simply splendid job at whipping up a superb lather with salter mint - this brush is certainly a keeper. Like every simpson I have owned - it did not lose so much as a single hair in its maiden voyage.

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The PJ3 Super is now my everday brush, and its a great touch of luxury with which to start each day!

I used my PJ3 this morning, and just re-affirmed my growing suspicion that I dislike Simpson brushes. There is something funny about the hair quality and the way the bundles are made that makes the "effective loft" much smaller than the actual number. I find that the hairs only bend about half way up their length, as opposed to most other brushes which bend near the knot. This makes the Simpsons feel like short-haired scrub brushes. Not at all luxurious as far as I am concerned. I'll take a SR, Kent, Shavemac, etc. any day of the week.

Just keepin' it real among the Simpson's sycophants here. :wink:

Sc0tt0- I'm still gettin' used to my Chubby2, so I'm not officially a "Simpson fanboy." Yet. (But I'm sure that I am now officially a WetShavingFanboy...

As with 99% of the elements in wet shaving, it's probably just a matter of personal preference & taste. The thing that I think makes a great shaving brush is consistency that the brush provides what you like, whatever that is. Now that I'm getting the hang of lathering my Chubby (I still can't type that without laughing) I'm starting to see why some people love it.

It never fails to produce a rich lather that lasts for pass after pass. The feeling that one gets while applying it to the face is distinct. I happen to prefer stiffer tips on some days, so I like the Simpsons. On those days. There's absolutely a different (not softer, but less stiff, maybe more flexible?) feel to the Kent, Vulfix, Shavemac brushes...

There's one thing that I know- although the shaft of my Chubby is stiff, the tips of my Chubby are soft.

Ha ha! =-)

Okay, back to being an adult.

NYLaw said:
Sc0tt0- I'm still gettin' used to my Chubby2, so I'm not officially a "Simpson fanboy." Yet. (But I'm sure that I am now officially a WetShavingFanboy...

As with 99% of the elements in wet shaving, it's probably just a matter of personal preference & taste. The thing that I think makes a great shaving brush is consistency that the brush provides what you like, whatever that is. Now that I'm getting the hang of lathering my Chubby (I still can't type that without laughing) I'm starting to see why some people love it.

It never fails to produce a rich lather that lasts for pass after pass. The feeling that one gets while applying it to the face is distinct. I happen to prefer stiffer tips on some days, so I like the Simpsons. On those days. There's absolutely a different (not softer, but less stiff, maybe more flexible?) feel to the Kent, Vulfix, Shavemac brushes...

There's one thing that I know- although the shaft of my Chubby is stiff, the tips of my Chubby are soft.

Ha ha! =-)

Okay, back to being an adult.
Keep that up and you'll go blind! And NO, you can not play with your chubby till you need glasses either...:a19:

guenron said:
Keep that up and you'll go blind! And NO, you can not play with your chubby till you need glasses either...:a19:

OR.........

You'll be able to throw the brush away and just lather with the palm of your hand.:tongue_sm :tongue_sm

I have a quick question and need your help. Which brush do you think is better, the Kent BK12 or the Simpsons Chubby CH3? Both of them are extremely expensive and I want to make sure that I pick the right one for my father. Thank you.

I have a quick question and need your help. Which brush do you think is better, the Kent BK12 or the Simpsons Chubby CH3? Both of them are extremely expensive and I want to make sure that I pick the right one for my father. Thank you.

There really is no "better" with those brushes; they're both extraordinary brushes. It really comes down to what features and designs you prefer. The Kent handle is probably easier to work with for bowl lathering; the CH3's stubby flat handle is best suited for face lathering. My sense is that the CH3 is denser and stiffer than the BK12. Both will feel very luxurious, with the Kent *possibly* feeling a wee Scot more luxurious. Simpson's "Best" grade of hair is getting rave reviews, and rightly so, so you can save a fair bit of coin by going for the CH3 in "Best" rather than "Super".

That said, those are both HUGE brushes. Is your father Paul Bunyan?:001_rolle Seriously, I would think very carefully about the size issue. While I'm sure to get flamed, my impression is that anything larger than 24 mm knot size starts to get difficult to work with, and wastes far more lather than ten men could use. If you're still sticking with the Kent/Simpson's choice, you might do better to choose the BK8, the Duke 3, the Tulip 3, the Polo 8, or my personal best bargain/quality choice, the Commodore X3.

On the other hand, if the only thing you're trying to say is "Dad, you're a SUPERHERO!", the Kent BK12 and the Simpson Chubby 3 both say that. And if you're trying to say "Dad, you're a Supersized Superhero!", then check out the Simpson Samson.

There really is no "better" with those brushes; they're both extraordinary brushes. It really comes down to what features and designs you prefer. The Kent handle is probably easier to work with for bowl lathering; the CH3's stubby flat handle is best suited for face lathering. My sense is that the CH3 is denser and stiffer than the BK12. Both will feel very luxurious, with the Kent *possibly* feeling a wee Scot more luxurious. Simpson's "Best" grade of hair is getting rave reviews, and rightly so, so you can save a fair bit of coin by going for the CH3 in "Best" rather than "Super".

That said, those are both HUGE brushes. Is your father Paul Bunyan?:001_rolle Seriously, I would think very carefully about the size issue. While I'm sure to get flamed, my impression is that anything larger than 24 mm knot size starts to get difficult to work with, and wastes far more lather than ten men could use. If you're still sticking with the Kent/Simpson's choice, you might do better to choose the BK8, the Duke 3, the Tulip 3, the Polo 8, or my personal best bargain/quality choice, the Commodore X3.

On the other hand, if the only thing you're trying to say is "Dad, you're a SUPERHERO!", the Kent BK12 and the Simpson Chubby 3 both say that. And if you're trying to say "Dad, you're a Supersized Superhero!", then check out the Simpson Samson.

I concur that these are both HUGE brushes and though very fine brushes, something a little smaller would be my preference.

Top Bottom