What's new

Constant ingrown hairs

hey @TheBeast , just wondered how you’re getting on and if you’ve been able to make any further improvements?

Been reading this thread over the weeks and I’m curious as I have the same issue in the same area (a small patch on one side of the neck).

hey @TheBeast , just wondered how you’re getting on and if you’ve been able to make any further improvements?

Been reading this thread over the weeks and I’m curious as I have the same issue in the same area (a small patch on one side of the neck).
I just got a shave a few hours ago with Mühle R41 and a Feather blade. Let that sink in...

No irritation, just a little tingle from the alum block at one spot but that's because I went over it a few times. I don't even have any red or pink spots.

In general, shaves are getting better. I did have some where 24-36 hours I had these weird purple spots show up. I needed to let those heal and then I was able to shave every day or every other day without much trouble until a shave went bad like this. When I need to let those spots heal and I want to trim the beard and shave the neck, I use my Philips OneBlade. This way I'm not introducing any irritation to the skin and I know I won't shave any area too close as to not invite ingrowns. I Remember a time when I was able to use that thing to shave really close without any irritation or bumps so now I'm chasing those results with wet shaving and I'm quite certain it's only a question of getting it right for yourself and your special needs.

Sure, I still get some bumps but I can see steady improvements. It's better than it ever was since I started getting bumps and ingrowns. I don't need to go digging with a pair of tweezers anymore, they grow out sooner and the effected area, smaller to begin with, Also heals faster.

I'm still looking for my ultimate line-up of products and I enjoy using all of my stuff and finding out what works best and learning what affects my shaves the most. I would say it's about 70% technique and 30% Choice of products/gear. With good technique, I busted the myth (at least for myself) that you need to get a mild razor and use it with a mild blade for your sensitive or ingrown prone skin. I can tame "The Beast" - R41 with a Feather with surprisingly great results. As I'm improving my lather and technique with every shave, so am I getting better shaves that result in less ingrown hairs.

Still not the end of the journey, so I'm really glad to see that you guys are actually learning with me! Wish you All the best of luck and hopefully, we Can find answers together. Just Remember, don't quit, it is remarkably rewarding to keep trying because one day it will click and I am living proof.

I'm heading to the slopes tommorow for 3 days so I will see how the hairs react after such a Nice shave when they are left to grow out in kind of harsh conditions. No comfort of my army of products so I hope it will go Well and I'll get back home just to enjoy another great shave.

Thanks for the thorough response. I like the 70/30 point and agree. I can ‘feel’ during the shave if I’ve irritated the area.

Glad you’re making satisfactory progress.

Thanks for the thorough response. I like the 70/30 point and agree. I can ‘feel’ during the shave if I’ve irritated the area.

Glad you’re making satisfactory progress.
Thanks! If you'd like, feel free to send me a message. I will gladly share All the details and listen to your issues to see if I Can be of any help.

For anyone interested, I will upload some pictures. I already posted what it looked like in February 2021 when I completely destroyed my face in comparison with a pleasant shave (photo was 24hrs after the shave).

Currently I'm battling yet another issue. Right after the shave, my neck is beautifly white. When I use a flash to illuminate the area closly in a small mirror, I can spot some issues of slightly irritated skin - but that is not visible if you were to stand in front of me in broad daylight and talk to me.

Issues begin 24 hours after shaving. Acne looking spots appear in places where the razor haven't been shaving. Razor bumps appear where the razor Has Been along with red to purple discoloration. In reality, all of this is more visible and brighter so it stands out more on my pale neck. Pictures included below.

Attachments

• IMG_20220224_200024.jpg
    IMG_20220224_200024.jpg
    869 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20220224_195132519.jpg
    PXL_20220224_195132519.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm so glad that things are starting to work out for you and that you are starting to enjoy traditional wet shaving.

Developing your technique and shaving daily when you can, really helps. The daily part accustoms your skin to your shaving and more quickly develops that technique.

I'm so glad that things are starting to work out for you and that you are starting to enjoy traditional wet shaving.

Developing your technique and shaving daily when you can, really helps. The daily part accustoms your skin to your shaving and more quickly develops that technique.
Thank you for your kind words. I shave as often as I can. Obviously, I cannot shave everyday if my skin is blemished like in the pictures above, it only makes it worse. However, the time needed for my skin to clear is shortening.

It should also make you happy that my first SR is on its way to me and I will be switching to SR only for 30 days soon.

PERFECT SHAVE ACHIEVED

I'm sitting here 24 hours after a shave with my R89 and Voskhod blade. No trouble. Right after the shave there was some slight irritation, but now it's perfect. No time to lose, I got my first straight razor today. I'll keep my historic clean look untill tommorow as I'm attending a birthday lunch and want to look my best. After that, it's straight to a straight razor shave.

Thank you everyone, you've been a great help. Anyone with simmilar issues, don't give up.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thought I should mention this also for folks who suffer from irritation, skin bumps and ingrown hairs is to allows use cold water rinses on your skin and I just watched a video on cold water rinsing your razor instead of using hot water rinsing a razor. I read the comments from viewers on rinsing the razor with cold water test and folks claim it works better with less irritation and was recommended by dermatologist to this fellow client. I always cold water rinse after each pass and now I will be rinsing my razor. Cold water calms the skin from my experiences.
It seems to make the blade more rigid possibly where hot water expands the blade and weakens the edge a little from the expansion and contraction, the very tip of the blade is measured in millionths of inch. So maybe there is some truth to it, some claim the blade lasts longer also.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Thought I should mention this also for folks who suffer from irritation, skin bumps and ingrown hairs is to allows use cold water rinses on your skin and I just watched a video on cold water rinsing your razor instead of using hot water rinsing a razor. I read the comments from viewers on rinsing the razor with cold water test and folks claim it works better with less irritation and was recommended by dermatologist to this fellow client. I always cold water rinse after each pass and now I will be rinsing my razor. Cold water calms the skin from my experiences.
It seems to make the blade more rigid possibly where hot water expands the blade and weakens the edge a little from the expansion and contraction, the very tip of the blade is measured in millionths of inch. So maybe there is some truth to it, some claim the blade lasts longer also.

This helped me. I had problems on my neck early on when I was using carts and even when I first switched to a butterfly DE razor. This was one thing that helped.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This helped me. I had problems on my neck early on when I was using carts and even when I first switched to a butterfly DE razor. This was one thing that helped.
I found out about this recently with Geo Fatboy on Youtube who use to always use warm to hot water to clean razor he claims. I read some of the comments and the fellows seem to like it, so it works. I did my first shave with a RR Wunderbar slant and worked very well or a least the results indicated excellent shave. Time will tell, he still keeps his lather warm but the razor stays cold, it is worth watching because he explains it better. I have been cold water rinsing my face after each pass for years but never tried a cold razor, it is a nice sensation also even if some can not be convinced of its benefit.

I've suffered from ingrown hairs for 40 years or so (mid 50s now). Also suffered a lot from cluster-follicles. I used to get ingrown hairs about halfway down between my ear and collarbone that basically required me to conduct surgery on myself to remove them, some of them being up to 5cm long. Cluster-follicles were mainly all around my chin, but some on my cheeks as well. I've had cluster-follicles which contained over 20 hairs in a single follicle sheath that was nearly impossible to grip and pull with tweezers. My basic solution has been to go over my face BEFORE shaving, with a pair of very sharp pincer tweezers, and remove each and every hair that even looks like it is fatter than normal, clustered, or is otherwise growing out of a raised bump. Sometimes, I stand there in front of the mirror for over 20 minutes pulling out about 300 EVIL hairs before I shave. Since I started going crazy pre-shave with the tweezers, I maybe get a handful of ingrown hairs on my face per year. Back of my neck is a different story and my wife attacks those with the tweezers - if she starts, she ain't stopping until there is at least a dime-sized bare patch around the aggravated area.

I have been plagued since I was fifteen years old with this exact same issue thinking that I am unique and living with what looks like rope burn around the neck until I discovered more and more aggressive DE razors helped to mitigate, but not eliminate the problem. Since I have switched to straight razors I have NO ingrown hairs.

It may be an investment once again, but well worth the time and effort to acquire the skills to leave this in the rear view mirror once and for all. Noting is more comfortable than a straight razor and frankly nothing else will work for me.

I should be a case example for a Dermatology conference due to my unique beard which it sounds like you have.

One thing I have stumbled across to help me virtually cure ingrowns over the past few weeks - switching to open comb razors if using a DE. For me it must be something about that safety bar that does it.

Top Bottom