What's new

Constant ingrown hairs

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thank you for your tips, I will check it out, seems promising even though it means another round of risky shopping.
You should already have brush, soap and blades. A decent half-DE blade shavette should cost you under USD 10. Mine in post #17 cost me about USD 7 including shipping.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You know, somebody recently posted a review of the one from Maggards that takes injector blades for $20. That seems like a better bet, or Artist Club.
Yes. My suggestion is probably the cheapest. There are of course many good shavette options available. We don't know @TheBeast's financial situation. Not everyone is super-rich like you and I am 💰.

Thank you gentlemen, @rbscebu I will look into some options that I have available in central europe, since that is where I am located and consult it with you guys in the new SS/SR thread. Great tips, I am glad you were able to help. I have a new spark of hope.

My financial situation is - University student, I know exactly how much I can spend. And I have a window for Merkur Progress which is 50€. Seems like that money will be better spent on a shavette so far and I will even save some

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thank you gentlemen, @rbscebu I will look into some options that I have available in central europe, since that is where I am located and consult it with you guys in the new SS/SR thread. Great tips, I am glad you were able to help. I have a new spark of hope.
I normally would not recommend a shavette type SR for a beginner. They can be a little less forgiving than a traditional SR. I suggested a shavette type as you might be on a limited budget. A traditional SR setup would probably set you back about USD 150 or (much) more.

Both types will take about the same time to basically master.

Just to get things straight - Straight razor is expensive and I need gear like leather strop and stones to strop and sharpen. That's something I'm not going to invest in.

Shavette takes single edge blades and I can get a decent one for 10-20 USD and it could help to get rid of ingrowns and that is what I am going to get a look at.

Correct?

My financial situation is - University student, I know exactly how much I can spend. And I have a window for Merkur Progress which is 50€. Seems like that money will be better spent on a shavette so far and I will even save some
Why don’t you try and have a straight razor shave from a barber you trust or is very experienced in straight razor shaves.
If the result is satisfactory then you know it is achievable and maybe you should try a straight.
The barber should prep your face properly and have a light touch.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Just to get things straight - Straight razor is expensive and I need gear like leather strop and stones to strop and sharpen. That's something I'm not going to invest in.

Shavette takes single edge blades and I can get a decent one for 10-20 USD and it could help to get rid of ingrowns and that is what I am going to get a look at.

Correct?
Correct. With a shavette, you also have to factor in replacement blades. Proprietary type replacement blades can get rather expensive although there are a few different designs available. Generic DE type blades are generally much cheaper and may be easier to source, depending on your location.

You don't need sharpening stones with a traditional SR. If you start with a truly shave-ready SR, I can be kept shave-ready indefinitely with just a diamond pasted balsa strop setup costing well under 80€. You will also need a decent clean leather strop that can be had for about 20€ or more. You should be able to pick up a good second-hand shave-ready SR for about 50€ or a bit more.

I can understand your reluctance to spend on equipment that has no guarantee of giving you what you desire. For that reason, a shavette is probably the better option for you. If that works, you can later venture into shaving with a traditional SR.

Why don’t you try and have a straight razor shave from a barber you trust or is very experienced in straight razor shaves.
If the result is satisfactory then you know it is achievable and maybe you should try a straight.
The barber should prep your face properly and have a light touch.
I have not been able to visit a town with a real barber for nearly two years, the reason - so called pandemic and the rules in my state which make it a pain in the *** to travel anywhere. In my small hometown, there are only wanna-be barbers in their 20's. I surely do not trust them. I would rather spend 20 bucks on a shavette which I won't ever use then to pay it to some tattoed punk.

I will Visit one when I will get the chance.

Correct. With a shavette, you also have to factor in replacement blades. Proprietary type replacement blades can get rather expensive although there are a few different designs available. Generic DE type blades are generally much cheaper and may be easier to source, depending on your location.

You don't need sharpening stones with a traditional SR. If you start with a truly shave-ready SR, I can be kept shave-ready indefinitely with just a diamond pasted balsa strop setup costing well under 80€. You will also need a decent clean leather strop that can be had for about 20€ or more. You should be able to pick up a good second-hand shave-ready SR for about 50€ or a bit more.

I can understand your reluctance to spend on equipment that has no guarantee of giving you what you desire. For that reason, a shavette is probably the better option for you. If that works, you can later venture into shaving with a traditional SR.
Very well said. Thanks again.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I‘m not sure if I can be of help at all but have you ever tried something like a Bic Metal?
SE, superlight and the right angle is built into the head. Even though they are disposable they hold up for a long time. I tossed my first one after 10 shaves.
View attachment 1374015

I love these! I used them for maybe 25 years+ in my working days.

They still get used a lot on back of the neck duty.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I get the odd ingrown hair and they can be painful. All I suggest is a worn out tooth brush and when you see a red spot you more than likely have a ingrown hair starting and by gently brushing that spot you might redirect the ingrown hair from going back into the flesh area. I did some research and this thread might help you?

A few things that really helped me with ingrown hairs on my neck: - I almost never get them anymore.

1. I really carefully mapped my beard growth on my neck. It turns out that on the lower part of my neck the hair grows up at an angle and on the upper part of my neck it grows down at an angle. Shaving exactly with the grain(down at an angle on the upper part and up at an angle on the lower part) helped quite a bit vs. shaving straight down on my neck which I used to do. Only do one pass on your neck for now until you stop getting ingrowns. Make sure that you are using as little pressure on the razor as possible.(It took me a long time to really understand what no pressure meant)

2. Using only natural castile soap or olive oil soap to wash my face like Dr. Bronner's or Kiss My Face. The idea is to eliminate as much as possible any possible irritation being caused by something in a cleanser or soap. Also only use a gentile wash cloth or your hands to wash your face, don't scrub too much in order to avoid possible irritation. Do not use hot water on your face before your shave, only warm water. Hot water makes your face more sensitive.

3. Use a really simple and natural shaving soap like Mike's Natural Soap or any decent simple shaving soap. There might be something in Proraso that you are sensitive to since it has quite a few ingredients. Don't use any pre shave oil or product, just shave with a well hydrated lather. As an aftershave use Witch Hazel along with something like Jojoba Oil as a moisturizer if you need it. For now you want to try and avoid as much as possible anything that might be causing irritation or clogging pores etc.

4. Salicylic Acid - This really helps combat razor bumps from ingrowns. There are many products that contain Salicylic Acid. Clubman No Bumps Gel works well and is formulated to be used as a post shave type of product.

Last edited:
I get the odd ingrown hair and they can be painful. All I suggest is a worn out tooth brush and when you see a red spot you more than likely have a ingrown hair starting and by gently brushing that spot you might redirect the ingrown hair from going back into the flesh area. I did some research and this thread might help you?
Certainly, brushing the area gently with any type of brush helps, also the use of a wascloth or facial scrub. Thanks for the link.
You're only doing one downward WTG pass?
Yup, one gentle pass with the grain. Only it doesnt grow downards. I mapped my faced and the growth directions which I follow.
A few things that really helped me with ingrown hairs on my neck: - I almost never get them anymore.

1. I really carefully mapped my beard growth on my neck. It turns out that on the lower part of my neck the hair grows up at an angle and on the upper part of my neck it grows down at an angle. Shaving exactly with the grain(down at an angle on the upper part and up at an angle on the lower part) helped quite a bit vs. shaving straight down on my neck which I used to do. Only do one pass on your neck for now until you stop getting ingrowns. Make sure that you are using as little pressure on the razor as possible.(It took me a long time to really understand what no pressure meant)

2. Using only natural castile soap or olive oil soap to wash my face like Dr. Bronner's or Kiss My Face. The idea is to eliminate as much as possible any possible irritation being caused by something in a cleanser or soap. Also only use a gentile wash cloth or your hands to wash your face, don't scrub too much in order to avoid possible irritation. Do not use hot water on your face before your shave, only warm water. Hot water makes your face more sensitive.

3. Use a really simple and natural shaving soap like Mike's Natural Soap or any decent simple shaving soap. There might be something in Proraso that you are sensitive to since it has quite a few ingredients. Don't use any pre shave oil or product, just shave with a well hydrated lather. As an aftershave use Witch Hazel along with something like Jojoba Oil as a moisturizer if you need it. For now you want to try and avoid as much as possible anything that might be causing irritation or clogging pores etc.

4. Salicylic Acid - This really helps combat razor bumps from ingrowns. There are many products that contain Salicylic Acid. Clubman No Bumps Gel works well and is formulated to be used as a post shave type of product.
Thank you, great tips! I am strictily following my growth direction and I have the Clubman No Bumps Gel which can sometimes help and so does any product with salicylic acid - chemical exfoliant (the theory is to get rid of dead skin cells and clear a path for the hair to qrow out succesfully). I have it applied right now even.

One downward pass produces ingrown hairs...I almost hate to suggest this...but it may be the tool you're using. Try a different blade and/or a different razor.
Yup, seems impossible. I am currently looking into trying a shavette. I'm thinking about Parker SRX.

I had problems with ingrown hairs until I switched to a more aggressive razor. When I switched, I got closer shaves that felt better with far fewer ingrown hairs. You have to find what works best for you, obviously, and that's going to take some experimentation. For me, I've found a razor with some positive blade exposure seems to work best. When I use a shavette, which I've only somewhat recently started with, I don't think I've ever had an ingrown hair. The problem with the shavette is that it takes too long for me to shave, so I frequently use a DE.

The R41 seems to work quite well for me, and it's not really all that expensive. The Blackland Dart and Blackland Blackbird are my favorite every day razors, but they are more expensive. Oddly enough, when I use a more mild razor, I tend to have more problems with ingrown hairs.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Yup, seems impossible. I am currently looking into trying a shavette. I'm thinking about Parker SRX.

I saw on the internet somewhere that open comb safety razors are better for guys who suffer from ingrown hairs. If your venture into straights isn't what you hoped, try something like this with a Gillette Silver Blue blade:

The Original Phoenix DOC Safety Razor - New NICKEL Plated! - https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/collections/phoenix-razors/products/the-phoenix-dbl-oc-safety-razor

I had problems with ingrown hairs until I switched to a more aggressive razor. When I switched, I got closer shaves that felt better with far fewer ingrown hairs. You have to find what works best for you, obviously, and that's going to take some experimentation. For me, I've found a razor with some positive blade exposure seems to work best. When I use a shavette, which I've only somewhat recently started with, I don't think I've ever had an ingrown hair. The problem with the shavette is that it takes too long for me to shave, so I frequently use a DE.

The R41 seems to work quite well for me, and it's not really all that expensive. The Blackland Dart and Blackland Blackbird are my favorite every day razors, but they are more expensive. Oddly enough, when I use a more mild razor, I tend to have more problems with ingrown hairs.
Thanks for your experience. I enjoy traditional wet shaving and I do it in the evening to give my skin a whole night to recover if anything goes bad. So I think I will really try that shavette.
I saw on the internet somewhere that open comb safety razors are better for guys who suffer from ingrown hairs. If your venture into straights isn't what you hoped, try something like this with a Gillette Silver Blue blade:

The Original Phoenix DOC Safety Razor - New NICKEL Plated! - https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/collections/phoenix-razors/products/the-phoenix-dbl-oc-safety-razor
Thanks. I'll try a more aggressive open comb if shavette doesn't work.

Top Bottom