What's new

Constant Comment

I love Bigelow's Constant Comment tea. A "secret recipe of orange rind and sweet spice". Does anyone know of a shaving soap or cream with the same smell? This would be perfect on these cold winter mornings.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 229
I'd say something that has a blend of cloves and orange rind; those seem to be the two strongest notes in the stuff. Maybe a bit of cinnamon. The clove might be tough to find in a grooming product. Most stuff in that type of scent I've tried tends instead towards sandalwood or cedar.

Even though we here in Paris have some superb options for fine tea, like Mariage Frères and Fauchon, I do enjoy me some CC. I brought back a few boxes of it to drink at work last time I went to the States.

My wife and I like that tea as well. The scent is pretty great--if there was a shave soap in that scent I'd consider getting it too.

Italian Barber's Christmas in Tuscany comes to mind. LE soap
Made by the same artisan that makes the ABCBA.

When I saw Bigelow tea I first thought of Proraso shaving cream then I realize it's no the same company as C.O. Bigelow.

But I agree that Ogallala Bay Rum & Sweet Orange shaving soap may be the closest.

I hear a number of the artisanal soap makers are open to producing custom scented soaps. While Stirling Bay Rum may have a few notes in common, I suspect it'll be a general neighborhood resemblance. Don't forget -- there's also the scent of the tea.

Why not canvas a few of the B&B vendor soap makers and see how large an order they need to produce a cost-effective price/unit of soap? Then, if you need to rustle up more orders, post about it in the Soap forum. I'll bet there'd be interest... I'd be inspired myself.

I suspect making tea scented soap should be reasonably straightforward. Tea can easily be produced as a concentrated liquid, and I suspect that'll mix well with soaps, retain its aroma, and also have the health benefits of the spices and tea.

I've been fantasizing about Earl Grey, Lapsang Souchong, spiced Chai, pumpkin pie and coffee scented soaps.

Last edited:
I haven't tried constant comment. I will have to pick up a pack.

Seems like the recipe for the tea is just black tea, orange rind, cinnamon, clove.

Ogallala will get you the clove and some cinnamon. Haven't tried the orange variation yet but I would imagine it's quite close.

If you need it to be exact, fill the bottom of your scuttle with boiling water and a black tea bag, let steep 3-5 minutes while you lather in the top with bay rum soap...:bayrum2:

Good Day,

You might give either of the Musgo Real 'Orange Amber' or 'Spiced Citrus' creams a try. Wonderful lather, and a close match for the 'Constant Comment'.

$musgo reaql orange.jpg

all the best,

Rudley

I was looking for this thread the other day, Mystic Waters makes an Orange Spice Tea scented shave soap and Barrsiter & Mann make an Earl Grey type soap its called Cheshire. I've not used either of these soaps, but thought you might want to know this information.

I was looking for this thread the other day, Mystic Waters makes an Orange Spice Tea scented shave soap and Barrsiter & Mann make an Earl Grey type soap its called Cheshire. I've not used either of these soaps, but thought you might want to know this information.
Thanks for the tip!

Thanks Shawn1

Top Bottom