What's new

Considering switching my fall half to a full marathon

I've been running for several years, always focusing on the half marathon, but after a terrible, terrible year of training, I have absolutely no chance of pulling a PR this fall at the half I always run in November. I've been throwing around the idea of running my first full marathon. I know my time wouldn't be great, but considering it's a new distance, I would be happy with a decent time and wouldn't be so hung up on trying to beat a tough PR.

Thoughts? I'd have 21 weeks to get my training in order.

Thanks all!

Out of curiosity, what is your PR? I'd think that 21 weeks is enough time to get yourself ready to PR in the, as long as you are healthy.

What do you mean by a terrible year of training? Do you have any base? If you can run 10 easily now, even if slowly, 21 weeks is plenty to work up to a full marathon. If your top run is 3 miles, it would be tough to get into shape for an enjoyable marathon in 21 weeks.

Out of curiosity, what is your PR? I'd think that 21 weeks is enough time to get yourself ready to PR in the, as long as you are healthy.

1:35:00 is my PR for the half. I'm completely out of shape now. I don't know if I could break 25 mins for a 5k now. I know I wouldn't be sub 24 for that distance. I'm coming off injuries. Achilles and a fallen arch/posterior tibial tendon stuff. I could be wrong, but my gut tells me there's no way I'll beat that pace this year. I ran that PR in the fall of 2012. I was injured last fall, so I paced my nephew and just jogged a 2 hour race just to help the guy get across the line.

I'm currently signed up for a half and if a friend signed up for it, I'd just pace them at that distance (the half) and I've contacted the race director about being a pacer, if I can pace the race, I will do that. I love pacing.

Last edited:
What do you mean by a terrible year of training? Do you have any base? If you can run 10 easily now, even if slowly, 21 weeks is plenty to work up to a full marathon. If your top run is 3 miles, it would be tough to get into shape for an enjoyable marathon in 21 weeks.

I can do 10 now just fine. It's just a lot slower than it used to be.

Your last 2 posts contradict each other. There's no way you can do 10 now "just fine" and still be "completely out of shape."

I gave DrAverageDad a training program for a full marathon. If you can do 10 now, in 21 weeks you'll be up to marathon distance. You may be slower than you want, but it's a simple program with enough rest and a gradual enough mileage increase that you should be able to avoid injury/re-injury.

My thoughts - you have plenty of time to train and be able to incorporate any issues that arise (i.e. having to rest for an injury). The issue is motivation and determination. Prior to running Boston, I had run two halfs so I had the training down pat and felt comfortable with it. This sounds obvious, but the training is more than twice as hard as training for a half. Aside from the distances, which you can easily see from any training regimen, the logistical issues were also something I had to learn to deal with. At this point, any mileage less than 10 I can easily accommodate in less than two hours (including pre-and-post-run), but in training for the marathon, that time commitment goes way up, all the way to 5-6 hours. And then all the gear and stuff you need to get.

Personally, I think its completely and totally worth it.

I don't know, Tim. If you are coming off a year of injuries I'm not sure committing to marathon training is the right thing to do. I'd spend the year getting back in shape and making sure you don't re-injure yourself. Maybe see how you feel in September and decide if you want to run your half for a PR or just be a pacer? Or you could run the half just for fun, to keep your streak alive.

Your last 2 posts contradict each other. There's no way you can do 10 now "just fine" and still be "completely out of shape."

I gave DrAverageDad a training program for a full marathon. If you can do 10 now, in 21 weeks you'll be up to marathon distance. You may be slower than you want, but it's a simple program with enough rest and a gradual enough mileage increase that you should be able to avoid injury/re-injury.

A couple years ago, I could run 10 in 75 minutes no problem, now it's more like 100. When I said out of shape, I probably was being more hyperbolic than I need to be, I still have solid endurance (I won't be doing the Western States any time soon) but I can still handle a long run, but my speed has slowed a lot.

Last edited:
I don't know, Tim. If you are coming off a year of injuries I'm not sure committing to marathon training is the right thing to do. I'd spend the year getting back in shape and making sure you don't re-injure yourself. Maybe see how you feel in September and decide if you want to run your half for a PR or just be a pacer? Or you could run the half just for fun, to keep your streak alive.

Thanks for the honest advice.

At the very least, I'll run the half, even if I just jog it really slow. I've already paid for it after all. :001_smile

If you're coming off a year of injury, doubling your race might not be the best idea.

That said, I totally understand where you're coming from. It's sort of a Mallory thing: "Because it's there!"(though he may never have said it); you have to prove something to yourself. You'll have to be honest with yourself, setting a goal of anywhere from "finishing" to finishing for time, and sticking to it, or you'll risk further injury. Enjoy!

Yeah Dave was very helpful for me. If you can run 6 miles at any speed 18 weeks prior to the marathon, then you are in good enough shape to finish 26.2 after those 18 weeks of training. That is assuming you sick to your training schedule and really push and challenge yourself!

The Monumental? It would be a great full since it's an easy flat and fast course. Hal Higdon's beginner marathon trainer is only 18 weeks, do it, you're probably more ready and "in shape" than you think. Unfortunately I can not run the Monumental this year since I will be either in school or with one of our birds going through a major inspection.

Top Bottom