What's new

Considering spyderco

For one I'm a huge fan of his work via Martial Blade Concepts. I have 2 Kershaw's but after finding out they are outsourced to china, it admittedly loses some of the appeal.

I'm just getting into knives after considering that my Glock my not be the best defense in every situation, so if anyone would want to drop some knowledge on a newb I'd be grateful.

I own a Tenacious and they are decent knives. They are, however, China made which probably won't appeal to you either. Spyderco does make knives that are USA, Japan and Thailand made with a wide range of prices that will fit most budgets.

As far as getting a knife for self defense? I can't envision a scenario where I would pick a knife over a gun. If I'm in need of pulling a knife, I'd probably be justified in pulling the gun instead. I could see using something like OC ( pepper spray ) so you might want to look into getting something like that.

In the end, and this is just my opinion YMMV, but I would buy a knife based on EDC needs, and pick up something different for back up or a less than lethal option.

I own a Tenacious and they are decent knives. They are, however, China made which probably won't appeal to you either. Spyderco does make knives that are USA, Japan and Thailand made with a wide range of prices that will fit most budgets.

As far as getting a knife for self defense? I can't envision a scenario where I would pick a knife over a gun. If I'm in need of pulling a knife, I'd probably be justified in pulling the gun instead. I could see using something like OC ( pepper spray ) so you might want to look into getting something like that.

In the end, and this is just my opinion YMMV, but I would buy a knife based on EDC needs, and pick up something different for back up or a less than lethal option.

There are situations (formal, family, etc) where I can't carry concealed. Should the event present itself, I always have a knife on me.

There are situations (formal, family, etc) where I can't carry concealed. Should the event present itself, I always have a knife on me.

Ah, gotcha. Nothing wrong with carrying a knife, but you're talking about hand to hand combat. There are certainly times where you could catch someone off guard and not have to struggle with them, but most likely they will see you coming. I still like the OC option, because I can possibly stop a threat from several feet away as opposed to physically being on them. Knife fights are no fun and I would like to be able to stop them, if i could, just in case the bad guy were able to get my knife from me. JMO of course.

I carry a knife that could be used in a self defense scenario, but I would have to be pretty desperate to use it. I do, however have options, so that has something to do with it as well.

Last edited:
Well here's three choices starting from lowest price to high price.
1. Ontario rat 1, liner lock, unassisted but wicked fast, tough as nails and 30 dollar range.
2. Kershaw knockout, strong frame lock, fast flipper style assisted opener, thin, made in the USA and around 55 bucks.
3. Hogue EX-01, really strong button lock, lockable, unassisted but flicks open with authority, aluminum frame like the knockout and USA made price about 150.00. All these folders blades are 3 inch and up.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Unless you have some training, a knife is probably not the best answer. They are great when you're in very close quarters (try to draw and shoot a blue gun before a threat closes from 15 or less feet).

If I'm going somewhere that a gun is hard to conceal and illegal to have, I opt for a ball topped cane. I know, it sounds old-fogy and all...but a noggin knocker is easy to use and DEVASTATING. Think more reach than a knife and the ability to choke up and deliver blows in close. Not to mention the whole, it's illegal to ask you why/if you need a cane in the states due to disability protection laws, thing. You can even bring them on a plane for the same reason.

Unless you have a LOT of training, utilizing a knife as a form of defense is a recipe for disaster. Finding a knife defense instructor (the best training for using a knife is knowing how to defend against one) isn't as easy as finding a good firearms instructor. They are out there but usually not anxious to teach outside law enforcement or martial arts venues. Believe me, there's a lot more to that discipline.

I used to carry a folder for "self-defense" reasons as well. Now the only defense I could think of is maybe a rabid dog. Many options better than a folding knife if your life or another's is on the line. I carry, more as a all-around survival tool, a fixed blade ESEE Izula. Disappears in front pocket.

On knife "fighting" logic:
http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Ah, gotcha. Nothing wrong with carrying a knife, but you're talking about hand to hand combat. There are certainly times where you could catch someone off guard and not have to struggle with them, but most likely they will see you coming. I still like the OC option, because I can possibly stop a threat from several feet away as opposed to physically being on them. Knife fights are no fun and I would like to be able to stop them, if i could, just in case the bad guy were able to get my knife from me. JMO of course.

I carry a knife that could be used in a self defense scenario, but I would have to be pretty desperate to use it. I do, however have options, so that has something to do with it as well.

Sound, wise advice... As always.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Unless you have some training, a knife is probably not the best answer. They are great when you're in very close quarters (try to draw and shoot a blue gun before a threat closes from 15 or less feet).

If I'm going somewhere that a gun is hard to conceal and illegal to have, I opt for a ball topped cane. I know, it sounds old-fogy and all...but a noggin knocker is easy to use and DEVASTATING. Think more reach than a knife and the ability to choke up and deliver blows in close. Not to mention the whole, it's illegal to ask you why/if you need a cane in the states due to disability protection laws, thing. You can even bring them on a plane for the same reason.

Are those all your canes Spartan? I haven't seen a Irish Blackthorn Shillelagh that's in the pic on the end since the early eighties.

Are those all your canes Spartan? I haven't seen a Irish Blackthorn Shillelagh that's in the pic on the end since the early eighties.

Sadly, no. Just snagged a random photo for an example. I've got a similar one lying around somewhere. They were originally carried as a sort of ccw, and were banned at one time in Ireland. Ya can even get lead core models that are MEAN.
It helps that I have some light knee problems and a medical history to back it up :001_cool:. Heck, sometimes it even helps to walk!

Yikes! I just PIFed my Tenacious to a buddy of mine at work. If I still had it, I would've been glad to send it for the cost of shipping.

Personally, I don't view knives as self-defense weapons. Not only are they extremely dangerous to use in situations like that, even if you're properly trained, the wounds they create can often be far worse than any bullet hole. The intimidation factor that a larger knife provides is a small advantage, but things like that can escalate very quickly. Needless to say, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you're relying on a knife to save your life - which is never the best option, to begin with - you'd better be prepared to, err...neutralize the threat for good.

Anyways, forgive my rambling; on to Spyderco! In my humble opinion, Spyderco produces outstanding knives at nearly any price point. If I ever get the bug to buy something new, Spyderco is the first place I look. However, as mentioned, the Tenacious and it's brothers the Resilience (largest), Ambitious and Persistence are all Chinese made. They're still great knives for the money, though. Their US knives are made in Golden, Colorado; other models are made in either Taiwan or Japan, respectively. You'll pay more for them, but the craftsmanship is superb. I have never, ever been disappointed with any Spyderco purchase at any price point.

Since Spyderco makes so many damn knives, it'd help to know what kind of price point and other features you're looking for. If you're trying to find something similar to a Tenacious in terms of price, I'd recommend raising your budget a little and possibly look at models like the Delica and Endura. As many knives as I own at different price points, I always have either one of the two not too far from reach.

At somewhat higher price points, you have lines like the Native, Caly, Manix, Paramilitary, etc. You really can't go wrong with any of them. If you want a real tank with with very high build tolerances, though, check out the Gayle Bradley.

As always, the gentleman at BnB have gone above and beyond. When I say for protection, I'm not thinking Rambo. I mean as a last line of defense. My rationale is people are crazy nowadays, so you never know what situation will present itself to you when.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I know, it sounds old-fogy and all...but a noggin knocker is easy to use and DEVASTATING. Think more reach than a knife and the ability to choke up and deliver blows in close. Not to mention the whole, it's illegal to ask you why/if you need a cane in the states due to disability protection laws, thing. You can even bring them on a plane for the same reason.

You say that here, of all places? :biggrin: Seriously, I have been thinking of supplementing my pepper spray with one of these. There are idiots on my walking path who have large dogs (lots of pit/pit mixes amongst them) and severely inadequate fences. Pepper spray won't stop all dogs, but if you cave their chest in they won't fight for long.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I carried a BM Griptillian for years. Then recently picked up a Manix 2 to replace a stolen BM Dejavoo. I love it. For a little more than a hunnert I have a G10 scaled s30v positively locking DLC coated knife. Some think it heavy but for me its perfect.

Very well made.

a very wise man said to me
"if you are going someplace that you think you might need a gun, you should not go there."

I'm a big Spyderco fan, but like a couple of other posters I see the defence aspect being limited to saving your life, not fighting, for example being tangled in a mess of monofilament line whilst diving (where my love affair with them started).

I'll always remember our head instructor (of some fifty plus years teaching) responding to getting into a knife defence situation "I would be on the other side of the road running in the opposite direction".

I personally see knives as tool, something that might just save your life in a sticky situation but of limited defence value in everyday life. That's not to say it doesn't have value for military and law enforcement, just that most of us probably won't ever need to use a knife in this way.

Otherwise though I have no problems adding spyderco knives to the collection :biggrin1:

Top Bottom