What's new

Considering Aftershaves

Great list!

Since you asked, my favorite Stirling options are: Baker St, Executive man and Sharp Dressed Man. However, I have not found one that I did not like.

In terms of lavender, I suggest Fine Lavender Pour Homme if you can find some.

Speick splash and balm are excellent value if you want something more sophisticated with fantastic skin nourishing ingredients then Saponificio varesino is the way to go

Just buy most of them..

20210923_184118.jpg

...And then
A bay rum

Just how different is one bay rum from another? Is it simply a name with no definable scent or is there a basic scent and different companies accentuate this or that ingredient over the others?...

The original bay rum is a classic old-fashioned aftershave made by extracting essential oil from bay tree leaves with rum or other ethyl alcohol. Other essential oils are often added to this, like lime, clove and possibly nutmeg, allspice or cinnamon. So, there are many different bay rum scents, depending on which spices are added to the aftershave.

The bay tree is an evergreen tree similar to myrtle. It is a different plant than what we use for bay leaves (aka bay laurel) that are used in cooking. The bay tree is from the Caribbean. Sometimes, the local people call this the "spice tree".

1610366622981.png

There are products called alcoholados used like rubbing alcohol. Usually, just bay oil in alcohol, sometimes with eucalyptus or menthol added. Superior 70 is an example.

So here's how it went:

Cella - was on clearance at one place for less than $11. 😃 But they were sold out. 😩 Didn't buy.
Osage Rub - bought this for both the menthol, and I have a little of Dad's Skin Bracer left, so I can make the Green Freeze.
Stirling Sharp Dressed Man or Razorock Irish Countryside - will leave these for another day. Didn't buy.
Speick - still considering. Unsure. Will probably wait, since I bought the Osage Rub and ⬇

And then
A bay rum - bought the ingredients to make @OkieStubble's Bootlegger's Bay Rum.

No, I am a fan of menthol. I was asking about people's favorite menthol aftershaves in a different thread. Osage Rub came up numerous times. A couple people mentioned the Bootlegger's version with 1/2 Osage Rub and 1/2 something I forgot.
Did this for summer. Not a big fan of either aftershave alone. But mixed I quite enjoyed it. Definitely in my summer rotation. I added some menthol crystals, but that's just me.

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought Speick aftershave,too. I was looking at a couple websites, and I could get the Speick AND Tabac (tallow).

When I bought Tabac some months back (for the first time, expecting the glorious soap everyone spoke of) but got the less than exciting new Tabac, I was seriously disappointed. So at one site, I could get the Tabac stick for $11. At the other I could get the puck in a bowl for just under $20. The difference in total price after shipping was $5. I went with the stick. I’m frugal. Plus I never used a stick before, so this will be a new experience, and I like trying new things.

To be honest, I like trying all the old things, MWF, Tabac, Proraso, Williams, Pinaud Clubman, Brut 33, etc.

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought Speick aftershave,too. I was looking at a couple websites, and I could get the Speick AND Tabac (tallow).

When I bought Tabac some months back (for the first time, expecting the glorious soap everyone spoke of) but got the less than exciting new Tabac, I was seriously disappointed. So at one site, I could get the Tabac stick for $11. At the other I could get the puck in a bowl for just under $20. The difference in total price after shipping was $5. I went with the stick. I’m frugal. Plus I never used a stick before, so this will be a new experience, and I like trying new things.

To be honest, I like trying all the old things, MWF, Tabac, Proraso, Williams, Pinaud Clubman, Brut 33, etc.
The Tabac stick is more likely to be the tallow formula, so good choice on that. The Tabac stick container is also one of the best; great for traveling (if we ever get to do that again).

The Tabac stick is more likely to be the tallow formula, so good choice on that. The Tabac stick container is also one of the best; great for traveling (if we ever get to do that again).
Both were the tallow formula. I e-mailed both to ask.

Fair warning: if you have an Avonite countertop, mix the Bootlegger’s bay rum elsewhere. The Superior 70 ran down the cup I had poured it into and left a couple rings where the cup sat on the counter. I haven’t been able to remove the mark, so be careful if you mix some up.

D3230CDE-296A-483B-9582-52AA7E29579D.jpeg

Myrsol makes some of my favorite aftershaves. They are very affordable in Spain but a tad pricey in the US because of the shipping. Aqua de Limon is refreshing, Aqua Balsamica has a very mild scent, and the Blue is sublime. They have milder, not in-your-face scents.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
In my humble opinion, the latest Original Floid 1932 The Genuine is the finest Floid ever created in terms of scent, ingredients list and face feel.

My experience on Bay Rum's is very limited, but Captain Choice is outstanding.

I have captains choice Cat O Nine Tails, and while it somewhat smells like a bay rum, it really doesn't. I have no experience with Captain's Choice Bay Rum, but I have heard good things about it, and that people really tend to like it.

Cat O Nine Tails burns let me tell you.

Top Bottom