What's new

Consensus opinions you disagree with

After my initial post a few days ago, I decided to have a proper look back in the archives to see what people have been saying about the blades I’ve used previously, and I was surprised to read that my opinions often differed quite significantly from the prevailing wisdom here on B&B.

That got me thinking - how often does this happen? Have you ever found yourself struggling against the tide of popular opinion here on B&B? Do people love a blade you hate, or do you hate a blade that everyone loves? I’d like to open this question up to the floor. For me, my biggest surprises were:

Permasharp - lots of love here on B&B. I found them sharp/efficient, but quite often irritated my skin.

Russian made Gillette 7 o’clock Green - similar story to the above. Lots of love here on B&B, but I think this irritated me worse than the permasharps, perhaps because they are not as sharp

Dorco 300ST - these gave me pretty fine shaves. Close enough, and super smooth...people here don’t seem to like them though!

Shark SS and Lord Platinum - Mixed bag on the forum, but they are my absolute favourites (so far).

What blades do you love that everyone else hates, and vice versa?

I have been using Derby Extras for several years. They were very popular and liked back around 2008 on a lot of forums. Now it gets some of the most negative comments. Regardless I continue to use these blades after 10 years.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
After my initial post a few days ago, I decided to have a proper look back in the archives to see what people have been saying about the blades I’ve used previously, and I was surprised to read that my opinions often differed quite significantly from the prevailing wisdom here on B&B.

That got me thinking - how often does this happen? Have you ever found yourself struggling against the tide of popular opinion here on B&B? Do people love a blade you hate, or do you hate a blade that everyone loves? I’d like to open this question up to the floor. For me, my biggest surprises were:

Permasharp - lots of love here on B&B. I found them sharp/efficient, but quite often irritated my skin.

Russian made Gillette 7 o’clock Green - similar story to the above. Lots of love here on B&B, but I think this irritated me worse than the permasharps, perhaps because they are not as sharp

Dorco 300ST - these gave me pretty fine shaves. Close enough, and super smooth...people here don’t seem to like them though!

Shark SS and Lord Platinum - Mixed bag on the forum, but they are my absolute favourites (so far).

I think Derby Extra are perfectly fine blades, despite them being the forum whipping boy.

Conversely, I think Polsilver SI are awful. In a mild to moderate razor, they tug at the root more than any other blade I've used. Only in an aggressive razor are they tolerable, but still no better than many blades out there.

Gillette Silver Blue are comparatively short lived, and not particularly smooth. Ditto for Nacet.

After the first few shaves, Feather are incredibly smooth blades

Biggest ones for me:

- most here love Feather blades....I cannot use them at all.

- most here love GSB...I find them just 'meh'

That said...I don't really use any blades that are universally disliked here.

Interesting thread!!

For me it is blades from Moscow: they just don’t get along with this old guy’s skin!

I can’t use Astra blades—I find them harsh and get more weepers and razor burn than any other blades. Derby has always worked for me, though.

I really like the Merkur Blades, Wilkinson Sword from China.

I did not like Derby at all. Had a weird experience with GSB (smooth but not efficient at all). Didn’t like Voshkod all that much.

There are two blades that I could do without. First, is Astra. I just get a mediocre shave with them and find them rough. Second up is Voskhod. The first shave is great but they deteriorate after just one shave.

Good thread! I personally like Dorco blades especially the ones made in Vietnam. They work for me. I also like all of the PPI blades I have tried so far even though I dislike Gillette. Voskhod blades are overrated and Ladas blade are the worst blades I have shaved with. Dollar Tree Assured blades are better than Ladas!

I haven't tried a lot of blades, but my most recent was Personna Lab Blue; most seem to love these blades, but they give me a lot of irritation, so I can't use them. I have the same problem with Wilkinson Sword blades, also.

Funny, I feel the same about the blades you've mentioned. But...as always...YMMV. That's why all the great discussion here on product. One man's treasurer might be another man's garbage...women too.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

One thing I have found when it comes to blades is that ones I didn't like in a standard straight bar DE, actually performed much better in my slant, primarily Derby Extras. My Personna blues and Astra SP's perform equally well in both and Voskhods and Rapira PL are my favorites in the slant for all around performance and longevity. Nacets just don't have good longevity for me. They are very good on the first shave but only last about 5 shaves. My slant is now my daily driver and my only razor so blades that work in it are all that matter now.

So many items on the B&B are YMMV. While some do not like that expression, it is used because many post "the best ...." topics.

For me I like several types of blades, and I know some are not popular.
Derby, Lord, Rapira, Voskhod, Green and Yellow Gillette's.

Shark and Bic do not work well for me.

Does this only account for blades or all shaving related items and products?

On the blade front. I wouldn't call it consensus but more a point of contention. Since DE blades are so cheap, you shouldn't push to get the most uses from that blade. Whatever the price, I believe that one should make maximum use out of an item rather than discard at some random point. This way, when one eventually does discard, one is not wasteful.

The more posts I see, the more I realize just how much variation there is. A quick search can land a clutch of posts that might seem largely to be in praise of a particular blade, but as I keep reading I always find plenty of contrary opinions to balance things out.

That said, there is one blade that has a good share of supporters and yet was an absolute disaster for me, and that's Astra SP. To my surprise I got on pretty well with its sibling Astra SS. My technique has improved a lot since I tried the SP so maybe it wouldn't be so bad now, but I'm not keen to re-test it any time soon.

I was hooked on Shark SS for a while, but now Silver Star is favorite. The others I've tried all fall into the "usable but not great" category: Derby Extra, Treat Platinum, Shark Platinum, Shark SC, Wilkinson Sword (in the black container with white label), Merkur, Voskhod, Tesco. I've got some Rockwells but I haven't tried them yet.

Top Bottom