What's new

Conoisseur's t-shirt a contradiction in Terms?

If I were to wear a v neck tee under a white shirt should it be a dark color (navy) or white?

With a tie? White, no doubt at all.

Without a tie, or more casual, white?

I can't see much reason to wear a non-white T-shirt under a dress shirt, even for casual reasns, however, GQ and men's journal may show me to be quite wrong.

:)

The Icebreaker T's are phenomenal for active wear, they don't get stinky and they hold heir shape very well. Pretty comfy too.

My choice for casual wear or the last four years or so has been Lucky Brand T's. The material is pretty much always the perfect weight and feel, soft and high quality, with a great fit. They have some graphic T's and some plain, and the designs are changed up regularly. My favorite T's all come from Lucky. I usually order 3-4 at a time because of the duty, but I only order maybe once a year or so. Price is extremely fair given the fit and quality.

Highly recommend them.

Gf

Amen to Lucky Brand tees. They rock! I have almost a dozen of them. I try to catch a sale. There is a Lucky store close by :) I know the manager so well that he gives me a heads up when new styles come out and when there is a sale.

The Icebreaker T's are phenomenal for active wear, they don't get stinky and they hold heir shape very well. Pretty comfy too.

My choice for casual wear or the last four years or so has been Lucky Brand T's. The material is pretty much always the perfect weight and feel, soft and high quality, with a great fit. They have some graphic T's and some plain, and the designs are changed up regularly. My favorite T's all come from Lucky. I usually order 3-4 at a time because of the duty, but I only order maybe once a year or so. Price is extremely fair given the fit and quality.

Highly recommend them.

Gf

HANES...With lay-flat neck??:001_unsur:001_unsur

$no_bacon2.png

I now have a few comments on Uni Qlo. I recently visited their location on 5th Ave in NY.

Steve's comments were mainly about their t-shirts but I'll throw a few words in about my impressions of Uni Qlo in general as well.

Overall, I was impressed with Uni Qlo. This isn't a place where one has bespoke garments made from outrageously priced materials, but I don't think this is a negative. I view it as a sort of slightly higher quality and asian-influenced H&M. There was a mind boggingly huge selection of clothes at extremely reasonable prices in very up to date styles. In this role I think they do a damn fine job.

Their t-shirts come in a range of styles and prices from zip loc bagged basic tees for $6 to more expensive plain versions for around $10 I think. There were literally walls of tees with various graphics including Japanese consumer products and anime. Amazingly, I didn't fall for any of the print tees. There was only one graphic tee I really liked but it wasn't in my size.

I took my $10 plain tee out for a spin today and like it. Three's not a lot to describe though, it's a simple, classy looking tee which given the price was an absolute steal. I can't comment on how well it will hold up over time and I do have some doubts it will be in service long-term given the price. My gut feeling is that this stuff will last longer than H&M/C&A/Le Chateau etc. but this is just my guess. I didn't try out the athletic tees, the fabric just didn't look like something I could pull off outside of a gym, run etc. and I already have a stack of dedicated gym tees.

They do have a website: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/ but their total number of stores in my country is...zero. :frown:

------

On another note, I'll second the votes for lucky brand. Not always, but some of the more expensive tees (hugo boss, diesel etc.) do use fabric and cut which I place a level above the typical cotton undershirt.

I'm a huge fan of Arcteryx, they are a Canadian company that makes awesome clothes. I recently picked up a used tshirt and it fits a little snug, but looks and feels awesome. I have some of their other stuff (jacket, sweater, backpacks, climbing harness) and althought it's all made overseas it is still excellent quality.

Another brand to check out is triple aught design. I have a couple pairs of their pants which are amazing, overbuilt, comfortable, made in USA. They make a merino tshirt that is currently out of stock, but may be exactly what people here want: not obtuse, comfortable quality, USA made.

Casual: I have a cotton blend Calvin Klein slim fit v-neck t-shirt with a slight stretch to it that I got for about $20 on sale from $40. Keeps its shape and feels so smooth and luxurious. I also got really lucky with what I think is a Macy's in-house brand - 'Club Room', I think. I don't see the same one online now though - they all look to be a bit cheaper. The one I got was Egyptian cotton, plain color, round neck, but had a short rear flap. I've had it for 5 years and it is still going strong.

I fancy giving one of these a try: http://www.sunspel.com/us/mens/tshirts/riviera-v-neck-t-shirt-white.html

Pure sports: I've had a few Under Armour t-shirts that lasted two years of training 3 times a week and still looked new. Their compression shirts are also great for training. I also have a 10 year old Pearl Izumi t-shirt that is still perfectly serviceable (x-static material).

As for TAD Gear (Triple Aught Design mentioned above), I have a pair of their shorts and a Ranger Hoodie fleece. My wife has the girl's Ranger Hoodie and also a Stealth jacket. A buddy of mine has no less than 17 items of clothing from them. Absolutely bombproof, American made gear. Not cheap, but cry once and all that.

Top Bottom