What's new

Connecting a mobile phone to wireless router

I need some help. I want to tether my mobile phone to my wireless router so that I can use my mobile data for internet on our church's internal network.
How would go about doing this?

I need some help. I want to tether my mobile phone to my wireless router so that I can use my mobile data for internet on our church's internal network.
How would go about doing this?
I guess I would need more information. Is this an Android phone? My Samsung can connect to any 802.11 network with no issues. Are you getting any errors when you try to connect? It should work pretty easily.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not quite getting what you’re asking...

Your phone is connected to mobile data via your wireless provider.
Your church has an internet connection with WiFi.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Sorry for the lack of information.
The church has a internal network to connect various devices but doesn't have internet. I want to use my phone's data to connect to the church router so I have internet at the church when I'm there.

I have a samsung s9.

I hope this helps.

Some routers have a USB network input for exactly this reason. It allows you to use your phone as a backup internet provider. To connect to one of those routers, your phone will have to allow you to use USB tethering. Most routers only have an ethernet input though. If you can't connect a USB network input into your router, you'd have to use some sort of workaround like connecting the phone to a computer, passing the internet traffic through the computer's ethernet port and into the router. Probably easier to just use wifi tethering on your phone and connect whatever devices you want to use to your phone's wifi.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
If it’s just the one computer you want to get online, would be easier to use your phone as a WiFi hotspot/router.

The computer must be able to connect to WiFi, and your phone must support data sharing via WiFi (all modern iPhone can do this), then it’s as simple as turning it on and connecting via the computer as if you were joining a new network.

Unfortunately we use the network to do several things with the main computer. So the computer needs to stay connected to the router.
Can I tether directly to the computer and still stay connected to router for everything else? I have only connected to the router or to the tethered phone but never both at the same time.

If you want to use the router as your internet gateway, you need to have an internet connection into the WAN port of the router. If your router has a USB WAN capability, which some routers do have, you might be able to plug your phone into it and get the internet connection from your phone. I know USB tethering works on Android. Not sure about iphone.

Another option is to use another computer that has wifi and an ethernet port. Join that computer to your phone wifi hotspot. Bridge that connection to the ethernet port and plug the other end of the ethernet cable into the router's WAN port. I'm pretty sure that'll work with either Android or iphone. It's a bit of a kludge but it should work.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Your church's router would need to be a wireless modem router. You then set your phone up as a WiFi hotspot. Access the settings on the church's wireless modem router using the networked computer and direct the wireless modem router to to obtain its internet connection from your phone.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Another option is to purchase a WiFi router for about USD 20 to 30, insert your preferred SIM card and away you go. Then anybody/thing with access and knowledge of the router's access code can connect to the internet and each other. You phone is then not needed.

They are so cheap and easy to use that I have two in my office. Range easily covers my 100sq.m two story house. Each is connected to a different internet provider so that I can switch whenever required. They are normally rechargeable battery powered. Leave it on charge and you'll still have internet for hours during any power outage.

Last edited:
This is a wifi + wired network inside the church? An intranet of sorts, where the main church computer can connect to other devices on the network, but there is no external Internet access because the wifi router does not have any cable/dsl connection to the public Internet?

If the main church computer is using a wired (ethernet) connection to the router and it also supports wifi (currently unused) then you should be able to setup multi-homing, where the main computer keeps its wired IP address on the church network but temporarily connects to your phone hotspot using a second IP address. Allowing the main computer to access both networks at the same time.

But if the main computer is using wifi to connect to the church intranet then it is unlikely it can connect to two different wireless networks at the same time on the same "hardware" interface. It might be possible to have the main router connect to a second wifi network (your phone's hotspot) as its default gateway to give every church device public Internet access, but I doubt your wifi router supports that capability. You might be able to connect some ethernet-to-phone-hotspot dongle into your church router to provide Internet access when your phone is present, but I am not familar with what is available or their cost to recommend anything.

This is a wifi + wired network inside the church? An intranet of sorts, where the main church computer can connect to other devices on the network, but there is no external Internet access because the wifi router does not have any cable/dsl connection to the public Internet?
This is exactly what is going on.

If the main church computer is using a wired (ethernet) connection to the router and it also supports wifi (currently unused) then you should be able to setup multi-homing, where the main computer keeps its wired IP address on the church network but temporarily connects to your phone hotspot using a second IP address. Allowing the main computer to access both networks at the same time.

But if the main computer is using wifi to connect to the church intranet then it is unlikely it can connect to two different wireless networks at the same time on the same "hardware" interface. It might be possible to have the main router connect to a second wifi network (your phone's hotspot) as its default gateway to give every church device public Internet access, but I doubt your wifi router supports that capability. You might be able to connect some ethernet-to-phone-hotspot dongle into your church router to provide Internet access when your phone is present, but I am not familar with what is available or their cost to recommend anything.
Right now the computer is connected wirelessly but I can connect it to a cable. How do I set up the second network to my phone hotspot?

If you can connect the main computer over wired ethernet, I would do that first and make sure everything still works before continuing. Then enable wifi again and instead of it (automatically) connecting to the church wifi, switch it over to connect to your phone hotspot. I might assume it is running Windows 10, and I have to assume that Windows supports this feature but I did not find a list of clear/easy steps on how to configure on windows. It might just work, but it will probably need some Windows configuration tweaking. [*]. If your church router is setup to provide local DNS resolution for devices on the intranet it might get tricky, since the default gateway and DNS server should come from your hotspot. (so that, as an example, the main church computer can reach "badgerandblade.com" just by typing that name into the web browser after connecting to your phone hotspot). I have never setup this up on Windows so I do not know the steps involved.

[*] for instance I saw articles like these when searching:

The first thing you need to do is find out if your provider allows you to tether/hot spot with your plan.
I know that my plan with AT&T doesn't. I have to pay extra for that, which is garbage.

Top Bottom