What's new

Connaught Shaving

No, I'm pretty disgraced. Italian Barber starts from $24,99 below 150 grams and goes to $39,99 as soon as I add a tuck of blades. And that's no express shipping, regular snail USPS that takes two months to arrive. Many shops don't ship at all such as WCS. My second best option is Gift and Care from Spain, they charge $30 but they ship FedEx Express and it arrives in ten days.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Guess we here are lucky or spoiled, worst case shipping from anywhere is less than $10 bucks .. once shipped a strop to Perth down under, with insurance etc the ship was about as much as it cost me new here.

Royal Mail offer an extra discount for North America. For larger shipments the flat rate is lower & the price per kilo is heavily discounted to almost half the post office/stamp price. The bulk rate for Australia & other places are actually higher cost per kilo but have a small discount to the flat rate. Australia is much further away & handles a small fraction of the volume sent to North America, so Royal Mail's pricing although unwelcome is reasonable/makes sense. They also offer a great bulk discount for Japan, S. Korea, Singapore & Hong Kong is actually the cheapest. For very light orders the USA is cheaper than the UK, as the RM have a higher flat rate for domestic shipping. Are there any forwarders in the US or Singapore that offer a reasonable service? I looked in to using such a service to import from Japan. I think they can hold a few orders, combine & then send on to you. It may not be viable but if you import a lot of items it may be worth looking in to.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Any one from Canada ordered more than £60 to get free shipping and was not hit by taxes and duties?
It appears that Canada has only $20 tax free amount on online purchases vs $800 that US citizens enjoy.

Is this something new thats started recently?

Most of my orders to both Connaught and Maggard are around the $60CAD point. One order below.

Screenshot_2018-11-02 Cart.png

I havent had any duties or taxes added to any order yet and I hope they dont start adding any! lol.

I just had a quick look and found this, from Oct.1 2018:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/de-minimis-duty-free-1.4845458

Most of my orders to both Connaught and Maggard are around the $60CAD point. One order below.

View attachment 1018614

I havent had any duties or taxes added to any order yet and I hope they dont start adding any! lol.

I just had a quick look and found this, from Oct.1 2018:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/de-minimis-duty-free-1.4845458

Nice, I didn't know that. That duty-free limit raise is with the US though, Connaught is UK.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Nice, I didn't know that. That duty-free limit raise is with the US though, Connaught is UK.

Connaught is UK based, yeah. I havent had anything added to any of my orders from either the US, (Maggard) or from Connaught. Both also offer a low cost international shipping option, which I've always used.

I'm a bit curious now though because I'm planning a larger order from Connaught soon.

I've had a similar experience ordering from Cabelas. Cabelas Canada does, or at least did do, customs and duties inhouse and I havent paid any duty fee's ordering from them either.

United Kingdom is not part of nafta.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/duty-free-limit-america-1.3467632
The CBSA collects duty and taxes on imported items (including all online shopping), on behalf of the Government of Canada.

Duties and taxes apply to all international goods imported by mail that exceed the $20 exemption. If you owe duty and/or tax, it will be indicated on Form E14, CBSA Postal Import Form, which will be attached to your mail item when it is delivered.
Importing by mail

It is not new it was like this last twenty years at least.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
United Kingdom is not part of nafta.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/duty-free-limit-america-1.3467632
The CBSA collects duty and taxes on imported items (including all online shopping), on behalf of the Government of Canada.

Duties and taxes apply to all international goods imported by mail that exceed the $20 exemption. If you owe duty and/or tax, it will be indicated on Form E14, CBSA Postal Import Form, which will be attached to your mail item when it is delivered.
Importing by mail

It is not new it was like this last twenty years at least.

Well, my statement stands. I've not had any fee's attached to any order I've received in the last several years. The only time I had to pay any duties at all, was for a pair of shoes sent FedEx from Amazon or someplace in maybe 2005. I had to pay the driver $55 and change at the door for duty and brokerage fee's, IIRC, but not tax.

I've had multiple orders from both Connaught and Maggard in excess of $40CAD in the time I've been a member here and not had any fee's attached. No orders have come through FedEx either.

Top Bottom