What's new

Connaught Shaving and Rising U.S. $/U.K. Pound Exchange Rate = Amazing Shave Soap & Cream Pricing for U.S. Buyers

I was just reviewing the Connaught Shaving website for shaving soaps and discovered that many items are priced far below what we have to pay when purchasing from U.S. based sources. While the airfreight charges will offset the savings for small orders anyone purchasing more than 60 British Pounds (Roughly $70 U.S. at current exchange rates) Connaught will ship to the U.S. via standard air parcel service for free. The savings are pretty dramatic for a number of premium and everyday shaving soaps. U.S. buyers get the items for a price that excludes the U.K. VAT so that a 6.30 British Pound (GBP) Mitchell's Shave Soap refill is only 5.25 GBP or roughly $6.10 U.S. at current exchange rates. This compares to a U.S. retailer price of typically $15/occasionally discounted to $12 on sale.

Other examples include:
  • Mitchell's in the Ceramic Bowl for 14.50 GBP/roughly $16.85 U.S. (typically sold for $30-$35 in the U.S.)
  • D.H. Harris hard soap refill for 9 GBP/roughly $10.50 U.S. (typically sold for $20+ in the U.S.)
  • Tabac Bowl for 10 GBP ex VAT/roughly $10.60 U.S (typically $25-$30 in the U.S.), the refill is only 5.75 GBP/$6.70 U.S.
  • Taylor of Old Bond Sandlewood Shaving Soap refill for 7.50GBP/roughly $8.70 U.S.
  • Saponificio Varesino 70th anniversary soap for 22.50 GBP/$26.10 U.S. versus a typical U.S. price of $50+
  • Arko Sticks are one pound (need to by two) or roughly $1.16 U.S versus close to $2 on Amazon. The Arko tubs are 2 GBP or roughly $2.33 U.S. versus a typical price of $5-6.
Many other items such as blades and razors are competitively priced if order meets the free air freight threshold which helps and we don't always want to order $60 GBP/$70 of just soap. Bottom line is that for those of us in the U.S. who are willing to buy in quantity many mid to higher end brands are available at more affordable prices while the exchange rate remains low (currently 1.16 U.S.$ per pound). Per reviews from B&Bers Connaught has a good reputation as a retailer.

My only concern is that at these prices it may be too easy to contract a severe case of SAD 😃

I had an order ready to go and noticed about a $30 PayPal currency exchange rate fee. Anyone know if paying w/ credit cards, which ones will not charge a fee? AMEX, Discover, Capital One, Citibank, Chase etc.? Thanks.

I had an order ready to go and noticed about a $30 PayPal currency exchange rate fee. Anyone know if paying w/ credit cards, which ones will not charge a fee? AMEX, Discover, Capital One, Citibank, Chase etc.? Thanks.
I think it depends on which type of card you have... I have a Chase sapphire card and I'm 99% sure that there's no currency fee (I read up on it before I took it on int'l trips). Several Amex should offer that feature as well but again I think it's card-specific.

Hi Shave Souffle,

$30 for a PayPal currency exchange fee is ridiculous. I just placed my first order with Connaughts for a total of 61.50 GBP or $71.56 U.S. with my Chase Saphire Visa card and was charged a foreign transaction fee of just $2.14. Note that it's possible Chase varies this based on the nature of your account relationship.

Note that Connaught's is limiting Mitchell's shaving soap refills and bath soap bars to a maximum of 3 per order. Purchased the Mitchell's ceramic dish with soap (basically the same price as a refill alone in the U.S.) and three refills, three Mitchell's Bath Soaps and a D.R. Harris Windor Shaving Soap refill that is worth trying when it's under half the typical U.S. price. Added some Arko sticks and pucks and a couple Derby sticks to hit the 60 GBP threshold for free shipping. Pricing like this really changes the game for premium shaving soaps offered by Connaughts.

Order was placed last Friday and shipped this past Monday (next business day). Will update when the order arrives.

Last edited:
Funny, exactly the combo I just ordered, with some Arko and Derby in addition to hit 60GBP as Mitchell's refill's are limited to a maximum of 3. See my next post.

P.S. How was the DR Harris Windsor for you?
Man I really dig the Windsor, to my nose it’s a light scent (sinus issues). But even after the top notes fade away, what’s left is still a nice scent. I also have the matching aftershave.

I just ordered the soap refill and dropped it upside down in an empty 4oz Stirling tub. Works great and whips up a really nice lather.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Connaughts has always been great for me fast shipping, in fact faster than a couple west coast US spots - going back maybe a decade. But, I never noticed any such "currency exchange fee"

Is that a new scam?

Connaughts has always been great for me fast shipping, in fact faster than a couple west coast US spots - going back maybe a decade. But, I never noticed any such "currency exchange fee"

Is that a new scam?
Not from Connaughts. The fees are from the transaction (PayPal) or credit card company. $30 from PayPal is ridiculous. A small foreign transaction fee from a bank or credit card company is fairly typical in the U.S.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Not from Connaughts. The fees are from the transaction (PayPal) or credit card company. $30 from PayPal is ridiculous. A small foreign transaction fee from a bank or credit card company is fairly typical in the U.S.

I hadn't thought it was them .. but had never noted such a charge, now I need to look out for something else? Thanks

Man I really dig the Windsor, to my nose it’s a light scent (sinus issues). But even after the top notes fade away, what’s left is still a nice scent. I also have the matching aftershave.

I just ordered the soap refill and dropped it upside down in an empty 4oz Stirling tub. Works great and whips up a really nice lather.
Actually I just saw this post and kinda answered it on my own. I was kinda hoping for a light scented fragrance myself. I don’t like aftershaves that give off an overly strong scent.

Another plus I found with them is that MWF is so much fresher than American offerings and requires much less hydrating by the user when starting a new puck
Not surprising. Had to delay my Connaught order a few days as they were initially out-of-stock on MWF until late last week. Likely what i ordered is almost straight from the manufacturer. Also fact that they limit orders to a maximum of three pucks also indicates they are selling it almost as fast as they get it.

Hi Shave Souffle,

$30 for a PayPal currency exchange fee is ridiculous. I just placed my first order with Connaughts for a total of 61.50 GBP or $71.56 U.S. with my Chase Saphire Visa card and was charged a foreign transaction fee of just $2.14. Note that it's possible Chase varies this based on the nature of your account relationship.

Note that Connaught's is limiting Mitchell's shaving soap refills and bath soap bars to a maximum of 3 per order. Purchased the Mitchell's ceramic dish with soap (basically the same price as a refill alone in the U.S.) and three refills, three Mitchell's Bath Soaps and a D.R. Harris Windor Shaving Soap refill that is worth trying when it's under half the typical U.S. price. Added some Arko sticks and pucks and a couple Derby sticks to hit the 60 GBP threshold for free shipping. Pricing like this really changes the game for premium shaving soaps offered by Connaughts.

Order was placed last Friday and shipped this past Monday (next business day). Will update when the order arrives.
To be transparent my cart total was something like $420, so there is that. But on the PayPal page after currency conversion the total was like $456, so I backed out until I can find a way to avoid these fees.

Hi Shave Souffle,

I guess the fees were higher through PayPal (not sure if different credit cards through PayPal would make any difference) because my Chase card is not Sapphire (@jesseixmentioned cards like that usually waive international currency conversion fees or are much less).

Did you use PayPal or just straight up credit card through the checkout?

I guess the fees were higher through PayPal (not sure if different credit cards through PayPal would make any difference) because my Chase card is not Sapphire (@jesseixmentioned cards like that usually waive international currency conversion fees or are much less).

Did you use PayPal or just straight up credit card through the checkout?
Straight up credit card. Per many B&Ber posts Connaughts is a reputable retailer so no reason to add another middleman to the transaction. You should be able to call your credit card company to confirm the transaction charges that would be applied.

Top Bottom