What's new

Conklin Durograph with fine nib review

I've had this pen for a couple weeks now, and done a good amount of writing with it. Some journal entries, a letter, general fast notes. Been writing with it using Iroshizuku Syo-ro.

Comes in a really nice storage box with a short standard cartridge and a converter. Good solid feel and weight to it in the hand when closed. The cap is a screw cap, but only takes one full rotation to cap/uncap, so you don't feel like it's taking forever to get the pen open. The bulk of the weight is in the cap, on the end where the metal is for the clip. As such, it doesn't really post very well. It can be posted, but it's a bit long, and very top/back heavy when posted, so likely most would write with it not posted. The clip is a hair tight, so while it will hold onto your pocket or a pen loop nice and securely, if the material it's being clipped to is thicker, it may need some manipulation in order to get the clip to open and slide over the material.

I picked up the Purple Nights model, so the cap is solid black instead of continuing the same pattern as the barrel onto it. The metal accents are well done, and balance the pen's looks out really well. Very classic fountain pen looks with pretty clean straight lines and just the slightest curves for the grip. The grip is a tiny bit short for the thickness of my fingers, so I do have some feel of the threads and such when writing, but that is minimal, and they aren't large/obtrusive or sharp and annoying feeling.

Very good ink flow, I'd call it write in between writing wet and dry. Solid lines, but dry pretty fast. They use a Bock #6 nib and feed, so you can buy any standard #6 nib to swap out for different styles easily as desired. The nib does have a bit more wiggle room to it than I would have expected. It wasn't lined up perfectly on the feed out of the box, but just a little shift of the nib to line it up by hand worked easily. The nib has just a touch of tooth/feedback when writing with it, which I am ok with, since it is just the slightest amount. It is not like a wet ice on ice smooth writing feel.

A note on the Omniflex nibs: pretty much all reviews I have seen and read regarding the Omniflex nibs say the same thing, proceed with caution. They are often not up the task of having enough ink flow for general writing with that nib, and really force you to write slow in order to not get skips and railroading. They also are reported to be hard starting often times. I skipped the Omniflex nib for those reasons, and only include that info in case anyone is looking into the Durograph as a flex nib option and checking out this review.

Pros: Solid pen with great looks and a nice weight and feel for the price point. Easily
swappable nibs with standard #6's to change up the size/style being used, and spare nibs are fairly inexpensive. Very nice consistant writing experience, even for longer writing sessions.

Cons: Doesn't post very solidly, and when posted the pen feels long, and very top heavy, not well balanced at all for writing. The nib may need a tiny bit of adjustment one in a while to put it in line with the feed, although that is easily done.

Overall: The only deal breaker I could see with this pen is it being really not postable while writing. For some, that just doesn't work for them, and can get a bit annoying if just jotting a fast note. For a sit down writing session like letters or journal entries, I find that less of an issue.

Stock image, since my photo taking is currently extremely sub-par:
z0hmkeakf4911.jpg

Looking pretty good there. I just googled this pen and was surprised at the price (here in the UK) I was expecting at least twice the price for something that looks and writes this good.

Those pens look nice. Just a fun fact the stock photo that's posted looks like it is using a nemosine nib instead of the standard Conklin nib

Looking pretty good there. I just googled this pen and was surprised at the price (here in the UK) I was expecting at least twice the price for something that looks and writes this good.
That is the part that makes it a great pen for a next step from like the Pilot Metro of Lamy Safari.

Those pens look nice. Just a fun fact the stock photo that's posted looks like it is using a nemosine nib instead of the standard Conklin nib
Ya know, you arent wrong on that observation. Lol

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Excellent review. Thanks for writing it. I'm only two days into fountain pen ownership, but I was tooling around on Goulet Pens. I came across this pen and am completely smitten. That Bock nib is just stunning. And he'll toss in a free bottle of ink until New Year's. Hmmmm.

It really is a great feeling and writing pen, and the value is only increased from good to great with the free bottle of ink tossed in. It's become the dedicated pen for one of my journals. That's how much I ended up loving this pen. :)

tankerjohn

It really is a great feeling and writing pen, and the value is only increased from good to great with the free bottle of ink tossed in. It's become the dedicated pen for one of my journals. That's how much I ended up loving this pen. :)
High praise indeed! Very tempted to pull the trigger.

tankerjohn

Alright, I did it. Forest green Conklin Durograph with medium nib is on the way, along with a bottle of Horizon Blue ink and some notebooks and cleaning stuff I think I'd have a hard time finding locally. Hopefully SWMBO doesn't kill me; I need a new hobby like a hole in the head. But truthfully, I've wanted to get into fountain pens for a long time and, for whatever reason, things are lining up now.

Alright, I did it. Forest green Conklin Durograph with medium nib is on the way, along with a bottle of Horizon Blue ink and some notebooks and cleaning stuff I think I'd have a hard time finding locally. Hopefully SWMBO doesn't kill me; I need a new hobby like a hole in the head. But truthfully, I've wanted to get into fountain pens for a long time and, for whatever reason, things are lining up now.
:clap::punk::thumbup1:

tankerjohn

Here's my initial thoughts my new forest green Conklin Duragraph. Go get your flapper girlfriend and crank up the Scott Joplin, cuz we're hopping in the Way Back Machine to the Roaring 20's.

20BB5BDD-0C6F-42B6-9940-B0B653298AAA.jpeg

The finish of the green resin is stunning. Very art deco!

E8B0FF5B-66EF-48D2-B892-66B3F94B8279.jpeg

Here's the gorgeous Bock nib that really sealed the deal for me. I love the prancing stag with the mountains. Makes me think of the Schwarzwald. I believe the Conklins with Bock nibs are exclusive to Goulet.

8D370C60-ED45-419B-9546-EE1C339D70D5.jpeg

When I started writing, I was getting a fair amount of skipping. I checked the nib alignment with a magnifying glass, and sure enough, the nib was just slightly misaligned from the feed. Is that a con? I don't know; I hear new pens that need minor nib adjustments aren't uncommon. With that sorted, it flows much better. I love the juicy, thick lines this medium nib puts out. I can't say I know much about inks yet, but the Monteverde Horizon Blue certainly looks lovely. Nice deep, dark blue - exactly what I wanted.

5F447CA8-E006-4995-8C1A-1B352E3AFF0D.jpeg

For me, the Duragraph posted securely. But my goodness, writing with it posted is like writing with a wiffle ball bat. I imagine I'll only do that if I just need to stick the cap somewhere for a quick note. Otherwise, it sits in the hand nicely. The weight is about spot on - not too heavy, not too light.

F5B79819-B759-4C12-AC1E-A8A1ECEB46AF.jpeg

Its funny, it feels very large in the hand, even unposted. But next to the Pilot Metropolitan, its actually fairly close in size. Of course, the German M nip writes much thicker than the Japanese F nib. I like the variety. The Bock nib also did not feel as smooth as the Pilot. I mean, its fine, just not quite as effortless.

C7660B14-CE9B-4CCE-A777-A60A056322F2.jpeg

Playing with the Duragraph all morning put me in a 1920's mood, so it had to be the New Improved and Prohibition Style Speakeasy Barbershop soap and AS for my shave today. Was Simpson around in the 20's? Whatever, the Colonel looks outfashionedy enough.

78316F8B-C568-4905-A0FF-0A38AD01B1EA.jpeg

And finally, for the Gerald Murphy fans...
45D9E249-7832-4C1F-81F7-21257186F722.jpeg

tankerjohn

Continuing adventures of the green Conklin Duragraph...

Unfortunately, the skipping problem persisted despite my minor adjustments to the nib. I contacted Goulet and one of their associates coached me through aligning the tines, but to no avail. The tines looked fine in the magnifying glass and it was lined up with the feed, but it still went skip, skip, skip to my loo. Finally, she offered to replace the nib and even let me pick the color. A day later, a nice shiny two-tone Goulet #6 M arrived in my mailbox. Wow, it looks super nice. Just enough gold against the green to look classy without veering into Mr. T territory. I admit that it doesn't tug my heartstrings quite like the prancing stag on the Bock nib, but it sure writes a whole lot better. And that's the main thing, right? Nice, even lines and no skipping. Very smooth. Kudos and many thanks to Goulet for standing by their product and helping me sort out the nib issue.

9F70A096-B820-410F-B106-BD283A384C67.jpeg

Very cool on them, for sure. That also means the nib itself was likely the issue, and you may still be able to fix it. Perhaps some brass sheet polishing between the tines and such. Being a spare "free" nib, you don't have much to lose by tinkering with it.

tankerjohn

Very cool on them, for sure. That also means the nib itself was likely the issue, and you may still be able to fix it. Perhaps some brass sheet polishing between the tines and such. Being a spare "free" nib, you don't have much to lose by tinkering with it.
That had occurred to me. My first priority was to get the pen writing well. I might tinker with the old nib a little when I get a chance. I suspect that it has a touch of baby’s bottom that is causing the skipping, which I understand can be fixed with a little work on some micro mesh. That might make a fun Chinese pen project.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
completely smitten. That Bock nib is just stunning.

Unfortunately, the skipping problem persisted

A day later, a nice shiny two-tone Goulet #6 M arrived

it doesn't tug my heartstrings quite like the prancing stag on the Bock nib, but

Too bad about the nib. But good for Goulet to make sure you ended up with a well-performing pen ... here's to years of enjoyment for you!!

tankerjohn

Too bad about the nib. But good for Goulet to make sure you ended up with a well-performing pen ... here's to years of enjoyment for you!!
Thanks. Indeed it was. I see why the Goulets have such a devoted following.

Thanks. Indeed it was. I see why the Goulets have such a devoted following.

I have probably told this story before, but they once accidentally sent me someone else's order along with mine. As a serious pen junkie I immediately called them and left a message asking them if they would like me to forward the package to the correct addressee (there was a packing slip inside). Between my call and their return call they overnighted the other order and called me back. They offered to let me keep the order (it was about $150 of stuff) and I promptly responded no thank you. I asked for a shipping label and had FedEx pick it up the next day. They ended up giving me a gift certificate for my "trouble."

Not only are they a most excellent company, they are also based here in the great Commonwealth of Virginia.

tankerjohn

I have probably told this story before, but they once accidentally sent me someone else's order along with mine. As a serious pen junkie I immediately called them and left a message asking them if they would like me to forward the package to the correct addressee (there was a packing slip inside). Between my call and their return call they overnighted the other order and called me back. They offered to let me keep the order (it was about $150 of stuff) and I promptly responded no thank you. I asked for a shipping label and had FedEx pick it up the next day. They ended up giving me a gift certificate for my "trouble."

Not only are they a most excellent company, they are also based here in the great Commonwealth of Virginia.
Wow, neat story. Good business for sure. I do like that their local(ish)!

tankerjohn

Ooo, these are purdy! :001_tt1:
Conklin Duraflex Fountain Pen - Sunstone (Limited Edition)

I like how the section matches the pen body; that’s often a complaint about the standard edition Duragraphs. Looks like the free ink deal is back for the special edition too.

I was thinking about the Duragraph in light of my recent post in a different thread that I should have skipped buying steel nib pens and just bought a Platinum 3776 first. From a purely performance perspective, $70 for a shipped-from-Japan 3776 vs $60 for this Duragraph still makes the 3776 the better deal. But from an esthetic perspective, the Duragraph has a lot going for it. Certainly, if someone liked Franklin-Christof or Edison pens and wanted a cheaper alternative, the Duragraph would be good place to start especially since you can swap in any #6 nib, like an F-C SIG, and have a very superior performer.

Top Bottom