What's new

Conklin All American

I am intrigued by the prospect of owning a "Made in America" fountain pen, and recently became aware of Conklin (via email from Pen Chalet). The pen is marked "Toledo, USA" so I am assuming that at a minimum, it is assembled in Toledo, Ohio, likely with at least some imported parts.

Anyone have any definitive information, or experience with these pens?

They look very nice, and seem like a good value for an American made item.

Their site doesn't really scream "made in USA" as most would want that front and center. There is also no way an $80cad fountain pen is made in NA.

Google shows this:
"American pen companies Conklin, Sheaffer, and Esterbrook manufacture their pens and fountain pens outside of the USA."

If they are in fact NOT made in the USA, I find the use of the name "All American" product line, very deceptive and shaddy.

Last edited:
I own the All American BP in brown stone. And regardless of where its made ot is made really well. Fit and finish are absolutely sport on. The twist to turn mechanism is so smooth with no issues at all. Just saying

My bad, I should have specified that I was looking at their fountain pens. They are available at Pen Chalet, and the pen is actually stamped Toledo, Ohio, USA.

I suppose there are minimum requirements by law to define "made in the US", and often times I think it may be an item comprised entirely of imported parts and assembled and packaged in America. I highly suspect that is the case here.

Still I was curious if anyone had experience with the Conklin All Star. I found a few threads here that weren't terribly positive, but they were 7-8 years old, at the initial release of the pens. Things can change, so I was looking for more current information.

AFAIK Conklins are not made in the u.s. at all. Not sure where they may be assembled. Some of the higher end ones are made by Stipula in Italy... I think. I have a few and they were pretty decent pens for the money. I would also suggest Franklin Christoph. Made in NC with a very broad selection of nib grinds. More than any other stock company. They have some great original designs as well. I have never had an Edison.

My daughter gifted me one for a birthday. It is a fine writer. IIRC they are assembled in the USA from overseas components.

What “assembled” means I have no idea.

“The All American collection draws its inspiration from the rich heritage of the Conklin brand, which was purchased and revived by Yafa in 2009. The rebooted All American is manufactured in Asia, assembled and distributed from Canoga Park, California, and pays tribute to its roots with a "Toledo, Ohio" engraving on its nib and barrel. This collection brings a vibrant, contemporary style to a classic, oversize streamlined design.”

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
If a Conklin doesn't end up working for you, then consider Franklin-Christoph or Edison Pens. Both are American companies with great products.
Franklin christoph is fabulous

I had several Conklin pens years ago over time I lost interest. Many of the clips discolored. I did always fancy the mark Twain model though. I remember that their pens are nice but great. Not sure about USA manufacturing.

Here’s another USA based company with nice stuff to check out.

I am quickly losing any enthusiasm I may have had for Conklin. If they were made in the US, with (most of the) parts from the US, I would try to support them, but more and more I get the feeling that their claims are suspect, if not outright deceitful.

Though apparently legal, stamping "Toledo, Ohio" on the barrel of a pen made overseas feels dishonest to me.

I'm out.

If it is a fountain pen, the nib will most likely be made in France, Germany, Japan, Italy or China. I believe India also make nibs but not too sure.

In France you have Parker and Waterman.
In Germany you have Pelikan, Montblanc, Lamy, Jowo and Bock.
In Japan you have Sailor, Pilot, Platinum and Wancher.
In Italy you have Aurora and Visconti.
In China you Jinhao and many more I am sure.

Of the above, smart money would be either Jowo, Bock or from China.

So define “Made in America”? I have more faith in the transparency of the term ”Made in China” than “Made in xyz”.

Top Bottom