What's new

Confusing Gillette rebranding

Hello friends,

I'm new here, after lurking for years. This thread is Gillette-related, which I hope will not cause offense. I'd hate for my first post ever to turn sour.

I don't have my ear to the ground the way alot of you have, and am not always up to speed on the latest advancements and campaigns in the shaving world. However I recently noticed something strange while perusing online for replacement blades and seeing what's out there. That is, Gillette's odd rebranding of their existing line up of Fusion products.

A couple of years ago, they added a "5", making the name Fusion5 (which I found totally unnecessary, but whatever) and they did the same with their disposables (Sensor2, Sensor3, etc.) I have now noticed that they have removed the Fusion branding from the Proglide and Proshield, turning them into "Gillette Proglide" and "Gillette Proglide Shield." While doing this, they still have the original Fusion (now Fusion5) with the old, non-flexball handle and seemingly more available than ever. They even redid the color scheme on the handle.

As a final bit of strangeness, I notice that they have a Sensor5 disposable, with what looks to be modelled on the Fusion head? C'mon now. How about some consistency!

So, my questions are:

1. What was the point or removing the Fusion name, especially considering all the blades in the line are compatible?

2. Are they planning to alter the Proglide and Shield heads so that they are no longer compatible with Fusion, and this is a first step?

Sorry if this is old news to you all. I just noticed it recently and find the whole thing very odd, and pointless.

Thanks!

I don't know the answers, but the rebranding and redesigning is something they've done since the beginning of the company. It seems that, over the years, those changes have accelerated.

I think it creates the illusion of progress (struggling for a better word than this) in an otherwise stagnant company. When you run out of ideas, repackage your existing ideas with flashy new colors and names. If you're lucky, no one will notice and they'll rush out to buy "Gillette's new thing."

I agree. Just look at the completely new branding for their new double edge razor. King C. Gillette is all over the place. And they are slapping that brand on other things that have long been in production such as double edge blades, balm, cart razors, beard oil, shave gel, etc. Par for the course.

I completely agree with OP. Nowadays they have a confusing plethora of several handles /Fusion-Fusion5-Proglide-Gillette Proglide-Gillette 5-Pro Shield Skinguard mach3-mach3 3d -mach3 sensitive etc etc etc) that is completeley useless, confusing and absolutely inconsistent: What's the point? Since they share all the cartridges of every connector family (fusion/mach3) why not just doing a pair of simple, good looking and sturdy handle for every category? It seems their marketing dept is really f...cked !

Top Bottom