What's new

*CONFIRMED* King C Gillette blades are *NOT* rebranded Platinums!

You have 195 KCG's left? That is impressive! I thought I was bad with my amount of blades rofl.

I am with you here, I do think they are very good blades, for me they work very well.
Might be 175 I may have lost track, but yes I did stock up. In part because back then I thought if it works it works so let’s get what works. I have since ventured out, but KCG can get me up to 30 comfortable shaves easily. I have tried Gillette Platinums too, but these felt different and definitely not as long lasting for me.

The fortunate thing is that when on sale I can get KCGs for slightly less than a Feather per blade. So still pricy but not ridiculously expensive.

Cheers,

Guido

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For the record, I'm not saying they are the same or different. I really don't use Gillette blades to any extent. I have some KGC but still have 4/5 of the tuck left from when I bought a KCG. I've tried some 7 O'clock, GSB, Platinum etc. None of them blew my skirt up over any other sharp decent blade I've used.
So after I said that, today I broke out the most blade forward razor I currently own, the Muhle Rocca. Used a new KCG for one side of my face and a Dovo that had probably 3 shaves on it.

OMG, the KCG was so smooth compared to the DOVO. Going to repeat in a few days with a new DOVO and the KCG on shave two to see if it's a similar thing. Either the DOVO's fall fast or the KCG is a much nicer blade for me.

I have three more KCG's. I think I will head to head them against Personna Med Pre, Wilkinson (Germany made) and a Feather.

So after I said that, today I broke out the most blade forward razor I currently own, the Muhle Rocca. Used a new KCG for one side of my face and a Dovo that had probably 3 shaves on it.

OMG, the KCG was so smooth compared to the DOVO. Going to repeat in a few days with a new DOVO and the KCG on shave two to see if it's a similar thing. Either the DOVO's fall fast or the KCG is a much nicer blade for me.

I have three more KCG's. I think I will head to head them against Personna Med Pre, Wilkinson (Germany made) and a Feather.

Oh please post how this goes for you! I ask because these are all blades on my list to try and I want to see what kind of results you get.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
So today I did an A/B with my Henson ++. KCG on use 2 vs new Dovo.

Dovo's are harsh blades. You want to have some blade feel in your Henson use a Dovo.

The funny part is I picked up a Henson ++ as part of a trade here on BST and recently conversed with the gent I got it from the ++ seems about like the + but just more blade feel and it really didn't shave any closer.

Thinking back the whole time I've used the Henson ++ I think I may have used the Dovo blades in it or at least for the majority of it's shaves.

With the KCG today, it felt super smooth no blade feel. Definitely need to play around with blades in my Henson that tells me. I'll do the KCG vs other blades coming soon in my Rocca.

With the KCG today, it felt super smooth no blade feel. Definitely need to play around with blades in my Henson that tells me. I'll do the KCG vs other blades coming soon in my Rocca.

I have been shaving all week with a 7-cent Treet Dura Sharp blade. The past couple of days, I have been using it in the K.C.G. razor. Thd shaves have been perfectly fine. For 1/10 the price.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have been shaving all week with a 7-cent Treet Dura Sharp blade. The past couple of days, I have been using it in the K.C.G. razor. Thd shaves have been perfectly fine. For 1/10 the price.
I'm not saying the KCG is revolutionary by any means. I just found it to be quite a bit better than the Dovo in two razors I have. My normal go to blades are Personnas - Med prep and blue. I went through all my blades today and found I have more KCG than thought and some Gillette Rubie, Silver Blue and Platinum so I can see what I think of those as well. I will be surprised if I find much difference in Gillette vs Gillette.

I'm not saying the KCG is revolutionary by any means. I just found it to be quite a bit better than the Dovo in two razors I have. My normal go to blades are Personnas - Med prep and blue. I went through all my blades today and found I have more KCG than thought and some Gillette Rubie, Silver Blue and Platinum so I can see what I think of those as well. I will be surprised if I find much difference in Gillette vs Gillette.

Just finished the week with the Dura Sharp's and was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the shaves I received.

My main go-to blades for a long time were the Persona Lab Blue's and the GSB's. The Platinum's are right below these. Still, for $9.99 on Amazon, they may be the best deal in overall value?

The Gillette 7 O'clock Black's are my current favorites. But at $34/100 are priced at the high end of reasonable. This is half of the price of the King C. Gillette's.

The Rubie's gave me a pleasant surprise, shaving like the Black's but being about $12 less expensive. I did notice they Dropped off of Amazon in the fall.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Over the past year, I've been observing what blades people here use in the razors I use on a regular basis.... most the guys from the States as some of the blades people from the UK and the Continent use differ because of availability, I think. Other than one dud among my Personna Comfort Coated blades, I've gotten great shaves from them all.

I do have some Astra SP Greens our son gave me at the beginning of my journey. They might help me tame my RR SuperSlant L3. It's a bit more efficient than I need if I use one of my regular sharper blades. It's just an idea I've been mulling over.

Back to the King C Gillette discussion.... I really enjoyed using the three I've tried so far.... but @ just over $1 per blade, they are on the expensive side. I don't seem to be able to stretch a DE past 2 shaves without noticeable degradation of the shave, even with them. This could be my grey, coarse, old man whiskers... or less than stellar technique or a combination thereof.... but I have been using a blade twice then binning it.

Back to the King C Gillette discussion.... I really enjoyed using the three I've tried so far.... but @ just over $1 per blade, they are on the expensive side. I don't seem to be able to stretch a DE past 2 shaves without noticeable degradation of the shave, even with them. This could be my grey, coarse, old man whiskers... or less than stellar technique or a combination thereof.... but I have been using a blade twice then binning it.

Out of curiosity, is this similar to what you get with the Persona (Lab Blue) Comfort Coated and other blades you use?

$1 each is way to much to have to pay for a blade?

Just finished the week with the Dura Sharp's and was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the shaves I received.

My main go-to blades for a long time were the Persona Lab Blue's and the GSB's. The Platinum's are right below these. Still, for $9.99 on Amazon, they may be the best deal in overall value?

The Gillette 7 O'clock Black's are my current favorites. But at $34/100 are priced at the high end of reasonable. This is half of the price of the King C. Gillette's.

The Rubie's gave me a pleasant surprise, shaving like the Black's but being about $12 less expensive. I did notice they Dropped off of Amazon in the fall.
I recently discovered the 7 O'clock Blacks and love them - even more recently discovered Sputniks which pretty much shave exactly the same (for me at least) and got them for $15/100 at West Coast Shaving

I recently discovered the 7 O'clock Blacks and love them - even more recently discovered Sputniks which pretty much shave exactly the same (for me at least) and got them for $15/100 at West Coast Shaving

I went to buy some Sputnik's from Amazon after purchased the Rubies. It was like in last November and the Sputnik's and Rubies had disappeared.

I thought this odd because the other PPI Gillette blades were still available.

The Minora blades, which are also PPI blades have vanished from Amazon about a month ago.

As I have been given to understand, the Sputnik's were the entry level PPI blade intended for the Russian market. While the Rubie's were the premium PPI blade for the Russian market.

I have not shaved with the Sputnik or the Minora blades yet.

I went to buy some Sputnik's from Amazon after purchased the Rubies. It was like in last November and the Sputnik's and Rubies had disappeared.

I thought this odd because the other PPI Gillette blades were still available.

The Minora blades, which are also PPI blades have vanished from Amazon about a month ago.

As I have been given to understand, the Sputnik's were the entry level PPI blade intended for the Russian market. While the Rubie's were the premium PPI blade for the Russian market.

I have not shaved with the Sputnik or the Minora blades yet.
I got a tuck of Minora Platinum from RBC - went to order bulk but they have disappeared from Amazon as well.
Plenty available in South Africa so they are still being made AFAIK

I got a tuck of Minora Platinum from RBC - went to order bulk but they have disappeared from Amazon as well.
Plenty available in South Africa so they are still being made AFAIK

That's what I mean. It appears the only these certain blades from the PPI plant are gone from Amazon, while the others still appear to be freely available?

Same with the Voskhod's and similar blades from Moscow?

Top Bottom