What's new

*CONFIRMED* King C Gillette blades are *NOT* rebranded Platinums!

After several weeks of Procter & Gamble customer service looking into it for me, I can finally confirm/bust a myth of something which has been something of a discussion point on a specific item of shaving hardware - King C Gillette blades, re: are they/aren't they just rebranded Platinums? Answer? NO
Hi 'name',
Thank you for your patience whilst we looked into this for you.
I can confirm that the Gillette Platinum Razor blade are a different design to our newer King C Gillette razor blades.
I hope this helps and if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to get back in touch.
Kindest Regards,
Kaytee
Consumer Relations

This has been floating around for a while with some people thinking they feel the same, and some adamant they don't or that they have different longevity. I know the RazorEmporium video on the KCG he said his 'contact' told him that they were just rebranded Platinums, but it seems maybe the contact was incorrect.

Cheers

After several weeks of Procter & Gamble customer service looking into it for me, I can finally confirm/bust a myth of something which has been something of a discussion point on a specific item of shaving hardware - King C Gillette blades, re: are they/aren't they just rebranded Platinums? Answer? NO

This has been floating around for a while with some people thinking they feel the same, and some adamant they don't or that they have different longevity. I know the RazorEmporium video on the KCG he said his 'contact' told him that they were just rebranded Platinums, but it seems maybe the contact was incorrect.

Cheers

I appreciate you looking into this and passing along P&G's comment. So please don't take what I'm about to write personally. My comment is not pointed in your direction at all.

They are lying.

I'm saying this for a number of reasons;

1) My face. I've used KCG's and light blue plats in a number of different razors. I can't tell the difference. So even if they really are different designs, does it matter?
2) They have no reason to be honest. If they say its the same as a less expensive option and it gets around the internet they are killing that product line.
3) I've worked with corporate marketing / communications / PR people for decades. They are literally paid to lie. Some will call it stretching the truth. Some will call it lies of omission. Regardless, they are not to be trusted. So even if my face didnt tell me otherwise, I still wouldn't believe the note you received.
4) The way the message is worded screams of corporate deceit. They said GP's "are a different design" than our newer KCG's. OK, whats different? The design is not. Clearly they wouldnt build a new plant to produce them, they are off an existing mfg line. Is the edge different? The type of metal used? Or....maybe just maybe the only thing different is the label printed on the blade. Certainly P&G has proven they are not above such nonsense.

I know, I sound like a crazy old guy that doesn't trust anything, and maybe I'm still mad because Gillette called me a toxic male, but I simply do not believe their note. I like the blades, but I wont buy them. They are rediculously over packaged and over priced. Now get off my lawn everyone. :c9:

I'm my opinion and experience the KCG blades are similar if not identical to the new Gillette plantinums. The ones in the dark blue 50 package. Customer service could be not telling the truth to maintain the KCG brands high profit margins It also possible they are misinformed about the blades. Information is usually compartmentalized in these corporations. marketing, manufacturing, distribution may not access to all the same information.
Screenshot_20230223_113731_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I second Snowman here. I've interacted with P&G a number of times to get some clarifications on products they have, only to be told things that would later be confirmed to be incorrect. Whether or not they are intentionally lying, I could never answer, but it seems like they have a convenient tendency to be incorrect. Many of us have worked in some of these corporate offices, the workers aren't exactly trying to go above and beyond for no benefit. I wouldn't be surprised if they just make an educated guess on products and call it a day.

I appreciate you looking into this and passing along P&G's comment. So please don't take what I'm about to write personally. My comment is not pointed in your direction at all.

They are lying.

1) My face. I've used KCG's and light blue plats in a number of different razors. I can't tell the difference. So even if they really are different designs, does it matter?
2) They have no reason to be honest. If they say its the same as a less expensive option and it gets around the internet they are killing that product line.
3) I've worked with corporate marketing / communications / PR people for decades. They are literally paid to lie. Some will call it stretching the truth. Some will call it lies of omission. Regardless, they are not to be trusted. So even if my face didnt tell me otherwise, I still wouldn't believe the note you received.
4) The way the message is worded screams of corporate deceit. They said GP's "are a different design" than our newer KCG's. OK, whats different? The design is not. Clearly they wouldnt build a new plant to produce them, they are off an existing mfg line. Is the edge different? The type of metal used? Or....maybe just maybe the only thing different is the label printed on the blade. Certainly P&G has proven they are not above such nonsense.

I know, I sound like a crazy old guy that doesn't trust anything, and maybe I'm still mad because Gillette called me a toxic male, but I simply do not believe their note. I like the blades, but I wont buy them. They are rediculously over packaged and over priced. Now get off my lawn everyone. :c9:

I've used KCGs and the light blue platinums in a number of different razors too and I really can tell the difference. The KCGs are just much smoother and each one I've used (about 30 to this point vs about the same platinums) has lasted longer by about 100%. I can easily get 7 8 or 9 shaves from a KCG, I can get maybe 3 from a plat before it's even more uncomfortable than it was initially.

Using a Platinum and a KCG side by side in the same shave is really noticable to my skin at least.

I've used KCGs and the light blue platinums in a number of different razors too and I really can tell the difference. The KCGs are just much smoother and each one I've used (about 30 to this point vs about the same platinums) has lasted longer by about 100%.
I suspect a lot of people will never believe they’re different - and for good reason - all the arguments previously outlined are well reasoned.

However, my experience mirrors yours. Every KCG blade I’ve ever used was smoother and longer lasting than the platinums I’ve used.

I know too well how the ''new'' Gillette Platinum blades perform and I was given a single KCG blade a while ago, but I still haven't used it yet. Sooner or later I will and I will share my expirience whatever they perform similar or not. The Platinums are ok for me in a way that I can shave with them, but I don't find them special at all. I like sharper blades and that's it.

Lots of posts about it, so thought I'd just ask the source which no one seems to have done to this point, and seemed obvious.

Absolutely was worth the effort and you should be commended for putting in the time when no one else did. I suspect it took a fair amount of perseverance on your part to get a response. Well played Sir.

We all know that ymmv is king when it comes to all shave gear. We will never know the truth, all that matters is the individual experience. Having said that, I still don’t trust P&G or any other large Corporation for that matter. 😬

They are lying.

Seroiusly what is the new design. The KCG blade is a platinum coated stainless steel blade. There are literally dozens of different makes of this type of blade. Its not like the KCG blade is a new cartridge.

Seroiusly what is the new design. The KCG blade is a platinum coated stainless steel blade. There are literally dozens of different makes of this type of blade. Its not like the KCG blade is a new cartridge.

So then Tiger Platinums are rebranded Gillette platinums then? No one is saying it's a revolutionary new design, it's a question of whether it's a new *spec* or just a Gillette Platinum blade with 'King C Gillette' written on the top instead of 'GILLETTE' like the GP.

So then Tiger Platinums are rebranded Gillette platinums then? No one is saying it's a revolutionary new design, it's a question of whether it's a new *spec* or just a Gillette Platinum blade with 'King C Gillette' written on the top instead of 'GILLETTE' like the GP.
Spec is better terminolgy and doubtful that the KCG spec is anything much different from what is being used now. If the KCG blade feels the same as the Gillette platinum than in all reality it is.

I do have serious questions in general from a produc
Seroiusly what is the new design. The KCG blade is a platinum coated stainless steel blade. There are literally dozens of different makes of this type of blade. It’s not like the KCG blade is a new cartridge.
This is a great point. From a production standpoint, would a manufacturer really set up different production processes for blades with the same general specs coming out of the same factory (I’m assuming the same factory in this case) for a commodity type product like razor blades? Is it more likely that the differences in packaging and product positioning are purely marketing?

I have said it twice here I think. Gillette dark blue Platinum, Light Blue Platinum and KCG feel like three different blades on my skin and whiskers. Couldn't care less about what P&G said. Same about the fact someone feels the Platinum (whichever variation) and the KGC the same.
For those who still think they are the same, as our fellow @Guido mentioned above, you might wanna check the edge photos that @South Dakota Guy posted.

LOL, guys, do you seriously believe that they will claim something like "Yes, sir, Gillette Platinum is the same blade as KCG, we just want to get more profit out of fools who don't know that! So please, don't tell anybody!". What did you expect?? Ridiculous...

Jeez, guys, were you born 5 seconds ago? :facep::facep::facep::facep::facep::facep::facep:

Top Bottom