What's new

conditioning dry hair/scalp

I don't use a shampoo or conditioner, but I was looking for a product such as an oil to condition the scalp and hair. I have a scalp that flakes easily, sometimes even when oiled, and my hair is dry, fine and greying, with many thinning/balding areas. My scalp is screaming for TLC and I need to do something. :)

I started with this
http://www.dr.hauschka.com/en_US/natural-skin-care-products/revitalizing-hair-tonic/
It seems to have a lot of alcohol, but it works nicely. The only negative is that it doesn't really last a whole day. The scent is mild and pleasant and it is not at all oily. Think of it as having the consistency of an after-shave splash.

They have what appears to be an oilier version that I might try next
http://www.dr.hauschka.com/en_US/natural-skin-care-products/strengthening-hair-treatment/

Badger Balm has a bunch of organic products that look interesting
http://www.badgerbalm.com/c-42-natural-organic-hair-care.aspx
I intend to try the Argan and Jojoba hair oils.

I don't really care about styling the hair, I'm more concerned about scalp health. If you have suggestions for other products that have worked well for you, please post here.

Thanks.

Give Lucky Tiger 3 Oil Hair Tonic a try.

http://www.getluckytiger.com/products/3-purpose-hair-tonic/

I put this in my hair religiously after a shower and it keeps it soft. It even has a bit of hold to it, but only a little. Its a liquid, so not sure how the oils are mixed in.

After it dries my hair is really soft and smells amazing. I dont shampoo or condition either as I use a water based Pomade for styling and it just rinses out.

Ive also noticed after using the Lucky Tiger Tonic that i don't get dandruff at all anymore.

Its cheap, smells great and works a charm...but YMMV ;)

I second the Lucky Tiger 3 Oil Hair Tonic. It's pretty oily but it leaves my hair feeling pretty great! I think it smells like the artificial banana in yellow Laffy Taffy candy.. if that helps?

I would almost venture to say if you still have problems with flakes, you may want to AVOID oily products. I'm no dermatologist, but I know sometimes if my head starts getting too oily, my scalp gets irritated. I've used Stephan Tropical Breeze Skin and Scalp Antiseptic to really cleanse my scalp in the shower. It's very mentholated, so avoid getting it on your manparts.

If you can find shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil, I've had great results from that. Specifically Paul Mitchell products. I hate spending the money but I never regret it. Last time I bought it, it was at a super discount from Ulta (a beauty supply chain).

I second the Lucky Tiger 3 Oil Hair Tonic. It's pretty oily but it leaves my hair feeling pretty great! I think it smells like the artificial banana in yellow Laffy Taffy candy.. if that helps?

I would almost venture to say if you still have problems with flakes, you may want to AVOID oily products. I'm no dermatologist, but I know sometimes if my head starts getting too oily, my scalp gets irritated. I've used Stephan Tropical Breeze Skin and Scalp Antiseptic to really cleanse my scalp in the shower. It's very mentholated, so avoid getting it on your manparts.

If you can find shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil, I've had great results from that. Specifically Paul Mitchell products. I hate spending the money but I never regret it. Last time I bought it, it was at a super discount from Ulta (a beauty supply chain).

I think it depends what kind of oil is used. Some are hydrating and some are actually drying (not when its applied, but later)...I have heard coconut oil is of that type (drying).

Interesting note about Paul Mitchell's tea tree products. They use them on my hair at my salon, but I was hoping to find something more natural. Of course the hair tonic that I'm currently using is not as natural and I'm not enough of a chemist to job which would be better. The tea tree stuff does feel good, and like you say, it is pricey, but so is the tonic.

/QUOTE]

Funny, because I don't any of that! I don't find it oily myself, and I cant smell banana! The scent I get is a vanilla powder with a hint of spice.

I guess my mileage varies!

Top Bottom