What's new

Conditioner for a lather hog

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Must admit I'm really a synth convert. :devil: Less drama.

Yet the den should and does keep one badger, one synth, and one boar in rotation.

After a recent lather hog experience (Sem. 830) I shampooed it and on impulse, used conditioner. Changed the whole feel of the brush!

What if it actually becomes more synthetic-like, and less of a lather hog?

Frankly, I'd like that! People do user conditioner on brushes, I checked. Anyone notice absorbancy differences?

AA

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I think we all need to accept our brushes for what they are and rejoice in their individual personalities.

Except ... if I could only find that magical elixir to dip some of my synthetics into and transform them to a more natural hair feel. :surrender:

Used SWMBO fancy conditioner on a Semogue 610. Ruined it. It just clumped into a ring with a big ol' void in the middle after that. Useless. Borax, dawn, turpentine, Acetone, Methyl Chloride Carb Dip, Zepp Solvent nothing would salvage it. Gone like a '59 Cadillac.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Used SWMBO fancy conditioner on a Semogue 610. Ruined it. It just clumped into a ring with a big ol' void in the middle after that. Useless. Borax, dawn, turpentine, Acetone, Methyl Chloride Carb Dip, Zepp Solvent nothing would salvage it. Gone like a '59 Cadillac.

Holy flying Chihuahua! The thing looks alright to me; try it in the morning.

People speak of thirsty soaps, but with two different types of brush, is it the soap or is it the brush?

AA

Holy flying Chihuahua! The thing looks alright to me; try it in the morning.

People speak of thirsty soaps, but with two different types of brush, is it the soap or is it the brush?
AA
It was the conditioner. I'm kidding about the harsher chemicals but didn't matter what I used to clean it up could not get it back to normal. Good excuse for a new brush though.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
No damage done, but the Sem. 830's still a lather hog.

Used modern Williams, a soap that there's *no shortage* of. Bowl-whipping went poorly, but with wicked loading, face-lather went very very well! Better protection than I remember Williams having, no nicks with fairly aggressive Ti.95 OC and a couple days growth.

Boar-Williams is certainly traditional. Why it (probably) works is that granpa just clinks the brush around a coffee cup and slaps it on heavy.

AA

No damage done, but the Sem. 830's still a lather hog.

Used modern Williams, a soap that there's *no shortage* of. Bowl-whipping went poorly, but with wicked loading, face-lather went very very well! Better protection than I remember Williams having, no nicks with fairly aggressive Ti.95 OC and a couple days growth.

Boar-Williams is certainly traditional. Why it (probably) works is that granpa just clinks the brush around a coffee cup and slaps it on heavy.

AA
Glad to hear that. Boars wick water, if you use it regularly it might stop hogging your lather.

BOOM! You have unlocked the Williams code. Luckily no syringes are required.

Have you tried a synthetic on Williams? Seems it should work just as well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Glad to hear that. Boars wick water, if you use it regularly it might stop hogging your lather.

BOOM! You have unlocked the Williams code. Luckily no syringes are required.

Have you tried a synthetic on Williams? Seems it should work just as well.

I did the "3017 Willy Challenge" thing a few years ago; shaved with a cologne-infused Williams puck until it was gone. A very, very long time.

I have used a synth; just another variable in the shaving equation where the answer can be one of several things.

AA

My 830 was a lather hog/lather eater. Seemed to me like its an issue with the inner channel of the brush not getting wet towards the handle. Soak it, force water down into the brush with the faucet, pump it a bit under water to splay out the brush and get air out of the brush channel and water in, soak it some more. Its a break in issue, IMO. Eventually it worked itself out but my 830 seemed to have a long break in period. Semogue boars in general seem to be slower to break in.

Top Bottom