What's new

Concerned about hygiene of vintage SE razors

This is something you should know for all shaving brushes. Soap will build up no matter how well you rinse after use. After awhile the performance will go down hill due to soap build up. Hairs will also start breaking off around the knot as well due to soap scum. I do this with my animal hair brushes once a year when I get the white rim around the base: How to Clean a Shaving Brush - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/How_to_Clean_a_Shaving_Brush

Yeah sure, I meant how they handle brushes from germophobe standpoint :D

The number of virus and germs that can survive from blood are VERY few. Take that blood out of the body and put it on a razor and the survival rate is in hours for 99.9% of all virus. The few that can survive longer will be easily removed from a simple double wash and scrub with detergent. Most of the razors I buy are crusty and nasty from years of use and abuse. Two soaks and two scrubs later they are good to go.

Your way more likely to be struck by meteorite than to "catch" something from a vintage razor.
That my friends is a fact.
Hospital sterilization is for surgery purposes. How many of you regularly cut yourself below the dermis of your skin?
I would say no one does. And thus sterilization is both unnecessary and futile.
Getting scratched by a house cat is way more likely to cause major issues than using a vintage razor.
Keep things in perspective.
But I do understand that there are some who can't stand the thought and are totally opposed to the idea.
I am TOTALLY freaked out about getting sticky stuff on my hands. I Avoid sticky things like they are the plague. If you wanted to totally terrorize me just pour honey on me and keep me away from water or some method to remove it and I would go bonkers.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
One of the things that has been etched on my brain is one night at dinner mom wanted the tongs for fried chicken. She forgot to phrase it for a layman and said "hand me those bowel forceps."

skSfvX2.gif

for anyone who's interested, this is a pair of bowel forceps, very similar to the ones I used growing up
forceps.jpg

A gentle scrubbing with Dawn and hot water is enough for me. I can't imagine any pathogen sticking around after that.

I have a coarse beard and so far I've tried Merkur Futur and 39C Slant Sledgehammer.

I now want to try an SE razor but it looks like all of the recommended ones are vintage.

I'm concerned about the hygiene of vintage SE razors that were used by someone else.

Do you have any recommendations for new SE razors that are just as good?

Im more concerned by how people buy second hand soaps [emoji1785][emoji1785][emoji1785]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's nice to share, but not HIV or Hep viruses. For that we have Barbicide. It kills absolutely everything including these viruses and a list of others as long as my arm.

Many will tell you do soak it in alcohol or some other cleaning product and that that's not good enough. I say, why not use something that's made specifically for this purpose and know for sure that you're good? A bottle will run you about 8 bucks from the local Sally's Beauty Supply.

The big question, cleaning-wise, is how safe any disinfectant is for plastic handles. It seems that Schick/Eversharp changed handle formulations through the years, and some with deteriorated/shrunken handles have shown up on EBay. May or may not recall combs in Barbicide at barbershops, but they were likely a different kind of plastic. Not to pick on Barbicide; it would be just as much a shame to use some other disinfectant only to have it damage a handle.

My father was a doctor and my mother a nurse. In our home we used a lot of discarded medical supplies (our scissors were those angled bandage scissors). One of the things that has been etched on my brain is one night at dinner mom wanted the tongs for fried chicken. She forgot to phrase it for a layman and said "hand me those bowel forceps." We'd been using used bowel forceps for years for serving food at our table. After that, I'm not very worried about vintage razors.

The following is from a cartoon in a doctor's magazine, circa late 1960s, early 1970s:

"I don't care if it hasn't been used. You can't use a brain crock for a punch bowl."

Throw it on the dishwasher. If you’d throw a fork in your mouth at a restaurant, or a persons house for dinner, this should be no different.

Scrubbing bubbles (non-bleach) and then a soak and light scrub with Dawn and hot water will take care of any earthy minute creatures. Sometimes I wonder if the real concern is just about using something that another person has also used close and personal. If so that's ok. For me I'm 98% vintage and embrace that fact that the razor I'm using has some history - especially those early Old Types.

Here is one of my latest aquistions. Photos of after followed by before. Maybe 15 minutes worth of effort.
20191009_012028.jpg
20191008_225745.jpg
20191008_214851.jpg
20191008_214848.jpg
20191008_214840.jpg

If you want a new razor, get the clone. It is identical in performance to the original Type L.

Top Bottom