What's new

Concerned about hygiene of vintage SE razors

I have a coarse beard and so far I've tried Merkur Futur and 39C Slant Sledgehammer.

I now want to try an SE razor but it looks like all of the recommended ones are vintage.

I'm concerned about the hygiene of vintage SE razors that were used by someone else.

Do you have any recommendations for new SE razors that are just as good?

Been shaving with vintage razors for 7 years now. A good hot soapy bath for many of them. Some I wipe with a disinfecting wipe prior. That is all. No infections. (Knock wood)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Nice hot bath with dish soap and a old tooth brush. I have used many a vintage without a problem . Just think of it like a fork or a spoon.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Nice hot bath with dish soap and a old tooth brush. I have used many a vintage without a problem . Just think of it like a fork or a spoon.
+1 on this!!! I'm a bit of a germaphobe, and I was VERY concerned about entering the world of vintage razors. So I did A LOT of research....there are a lot of threads on this topic -- and I think I've read them all. To get comfortable I created a multiple cleansing process:
1. Toothbrush with Dawn dish soap and hot water.....scrubbed the razor and rinsed it thoroughly

2. Sprayed it down with Scrubbing Bubbles (the one without bleach). Let it sit for 5 minutes, scrubbed with the toothbrush again and then rinsed it thoroughly

3. Mixed up a concentrated solution of Lysol and let the razor soak for 10 minutes, then rinsed it thoroughly.

4. Dry the razor and then use some Flitz polish.

Okay, over time I started to drop some of these steps. And here's where I'm comfortable:
1. Toothbrush with Dawn dish soap and hot (not boiling) water. If the razor looks good -- I stop. That's the majority of razors.
2. If the razor was in pretty rough shape, I'll hit with Scrubbing Bubbles and some more toothbrush work.
3. After thoroughly rinsing and drying, I may put on some Flitz.

You should do as much (or as little) cleaning that makes you comfortable....but the next time you're at a restaurant and pick up your fork or spoon, think about how much cleaning that item went through and you'll be putting it in your mouth. That thought helped me scale back my disinfectant process; but just like YMMV, this is Whatever Makes You Comfortable (WMYC).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Your only fear should be prions causing mad cow disease! But I think William Shatner went to the future and brought us back the cure....

Nothing more to add, but I will say all I have shaved with in 2018 & 2019 have been vintage razors.

I’ve probably gone through over 80 vintage razors over the years and have used the cleaning techniques described above and never had an issue. Keep in mind I’m a germaphobe and originally found the idea of using a vintage razor just horrifying. I like the analogy of using a fork or spoon in a restaurant. You’re lucky if it’s even half cleaned.

You should do as much (or as little) cleaning that makes you comfortable....but the next time you're at a restaurant and pick up your fork or spoon, think about how much cleaning that item went through and you'll be putting it in your mouth.

One BIG difference. Restaurant forks and spoons are easily cleaned in hot soapy water by hand or in dishwasher. However, razors (same as surgical tools) contain blood specimens/molecules (invisible in most cases) and have to be cleaned for reuse in autoclaves (hospitals). I don't think I have to mention the type of diseases caused by blood infection.

Just wanted to point out the significant difference between the two. I use vintage razors and I'm not a germaphobe. But i would not recommend scaling back the disinfectant process.

I believe if you look into to it you will find almost all types of "germs" will die just sitting on a shelf for 48 hours. It may look bad but it won't hurt you.

I wouldnt be that worried about it because viruses cant survive outside of the body for more than 24 hours. Just give it a good scrubdown with a some dish soap and a toothbrush and give it good soaking in some alcohol.
Some also like to give it a good soak in something like Scrubbing Bubbles or Barbicide but IMO its not really needed.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Germaphobe here.

I use a three step process:

1. Soak in hot water with lots of Dawn plus an anti-bacterial soap. Scrub with toothbrush.

2. Soak in Isopropynol (91% rubbing alcohol) for 15 - 30 minutes. Rinse under hot water.

3. Soak in Barbicide for 15 - 20 minutes. Rinse under hot water

4. Air dry and shave. :)

This process calms my phobia to the point that I have no issue using vintage razors. :)

If you want to stick to new razors, what price range are you comfortable spending?

Same as all the above, a good soak in Dawn and then a scrub with Scrubbing Bubbles and an old toothbrush is all I've ever done. If you want a new SE the best bang for your buck would be the Razorock Hawk that uses artist Club blades. It's sold at Italian Barber. Com

+100 on all the above. There is a new injector razor called the Supply Single Edge. Many do not like it because it is much heavier than any vintage Schick. I use mine regularly with no ill effects. That said, you might also search for a NOS Schick razor. I see them now and again on Ebay. You will pay more for what little peace of mind that gives. What could possibly survive a half hour in alcohol?

R

romsitsa

One BIG difference. Restaurant forks and spoons are easily cleaned in hot soapy water by hand or in dishwasher. However, razors (same as surgical tools) contain blood specimens/molecules (invisible in most cases) and have to be cleaned for reuse in autoclaves (hospitals). I don't think I have to mention the type of diseases caused by blood infection.

Just wanted to point out the significant difference between the two. I use vintage razors and I'm not a germaphobe. But i would not recommend scaling back the disinfectant process.

Think about your knives you use to process raw meat.

Adam

In any case, if you want to explore modern SEs there are many great razors available like Blackland Sabre, General SE, Vector, Supply, Razorock Hawk etc.

Top Bottom