What's new

Conan O' Brien & The Tonight Show

How is everybody liking Conan as the host of the tonight show. I saw it tonight for the first time with Conan as the host and my impression is he will continue to be around for a long time. He is a natural & very entertaining. He has come along way since writing for The Simpson's. Green Day rocked tonight's show and Tom Hanks was entertaining. Conan managed to kid him on some of his weaker script choices <ahem, Turner & Hooch>

I only caught it for a few minutes last night, and I was disappointed.

I do, however, expect that he will improve (just as Leno did) and will enjoy tremendous job security.

I caught a few minutes on Tuesday night. I have always been a big Conan fan, so I've been looking forward to this. In the few minutes I saw, I enjoyed it. I was also thrilled to see Andy Richter there too. Is he going to be a permanent fixture? I hope so.

I always loved Conan’s humor and had been watching his show since it started. It’s great that he is once again taking over Leno’s show. I’m sure he will do a great job. Some people are skeptic about Conan, I know of a lot of people that don’t like his humor and though that the transition would be very hard. To these people I say “though luck” :D

I thought Leno was awful and I liked Conan on his old show, but I can't help wondering if movin' on up will have a declawing or sanitizing effect on Conan's "edgier" material and attitudes.

Leno's audience will follow him to the 10:00 slot. Conan's audience will follow him to the 11:30 slot. Everyone goes to bed earlier and there will be fewer traffic accidents.

I thought Leno was awful and I liked Conan on his old show, but I can't help wondering if movin' on up will have a declawing or sanitizing effect on Conan's "edgier" material and attitudes.

I think Conan will remain so , if not I will be very disappointed ...

I used to be a Letterman, then flip to Conan guy. This is going to be making my 11:30 decision kind of difficult. Conan's won out the last couple nights because I wanted to get a feel for his new show, plus he's had A-list guests. But its going to be a tough call for awhile. Conan's humor is in general more appealing, but every now and then Dave will take a bite out of someone who deserves it.

And as much as I didn't like Jimmy Fallon on SNL, his show has been pretty decent. A lot better than that Scottish guy.

Last edited:
I used to be a Letterman, then flip to Conan guy. This is going to be making my 11:30 decision kind of difficult. Conan's won out the last couple nights because I wanted to get a feel for his new show, plus he's had A-list guests. But its going to be a tough call for awhile. Conan's humor is in general more appealing, but every now and then Dave will take a bite out of someone who deserves it.

Bring back Johnny & Ed......:biggrin:

I used to be a Letterman, then flip to Conan guy. This is going to be making my 11:30 decision kind of difficult.

+1. And then you have to throw the Colbert Report into the mix.

I think when Letterman is at the very top of his game, no one can touch him, but Conan is funnier on a day-to-day basis.

Of course, I should be going to bed before 11:30. :Yawn:

Last edited:
I'm with Thirdeye!!! To me, Johnny Carson WAS the tonight show. I like Jay Leno but neither him, nor any one else, has the flair that Johnny did. He had it all: wit, interviewing skills, acting, etc.

Only watched Conan a couple of times before, so we've watched his debut this week. Thus far my wife and I think he has...SUCKED. Yep, he's had A-List guests but what do you expect in the first week. My wife and I have never watched Dave, but thought we would give his show a try next week. I'd be very surprised if we watch Conan again after the next few nights.

And as much as I didn't like Jimmy Fallon on SNL, his show has been pretty decent. A lot better than that Scottish guy.

Oh, I love Craig Ferguson but then, juvenille humor is one of my favorite things:biggrin:

For me, I prefer Letterman over Conan and Leno.

I only have two episodes to judge by, but I think the answer is "Yes."

I didn't particularly care for Conan in his Late Nite slot ... his humor was a bit bizarre, even by my standards.

What I've seen of him in The Tonight Show seems to prove that he (and his writing staff) have grown up. Perhaps its the move to L.A. that did it, maybe working in a new studio, but he does seem to be projecting himself to a wider, more mature audience

NBC didn't make this decision lightly ... if they thought there was any chance of him failing, he wouldn't have gotten the show. Then again, I don't know if there's anybody else out there that could have been picked in his place.

I only caught it for a few minutes last night, and I was disappointed.

I do, however, expect that he will improve (just as Leno did) and will enjoy tremendous job security.

Conan is nowhere NEAR as green as Leno was when he took over for Carson.

And Conan is very good at what he does. Either you "get him" or you don't.

I would never say the Who "sucked" just because I don't care for their music..

Last edited:
As for Conan vs. Letterman, it's tough. I've been watching Letterman since his NBC days and Chris Elliot coming up out of the stairs, Larry "Bud" Melman and throwing things off building tops.

I always enjoy Letterman. But Conan makes me laugh like Letterman used to 15 years ago. My viewing will probably lean towards Conan for a while, but will probably be more based on guests.

Letterman is solid. But to me, Conan is funnier.

I loved Johnny Carson and hated that Letterman wasn't his replacement. I have always loved to watch Letterman, he was hilarious. Letterman, on the other hand, seems to be slipping. It was said he couldn't be beat when on top of his game. Unfortunately, this is not as often as it used to be. I have never cared for Leno. He has his moments, but that is it. Conan is in a very close proximity to Letterman, IMHO. I thoroughly enjoyed his show. I have not seen his new show since I go to work at around this time, but I am sure he will do great.

Letterman seemed to get a little grumpy, maybe even bitter to me. I really think he was much funnier years ago. Leno was fine. Maybe a bit too cheery for my tastes. I think people tend to remember the good times with Johnny Carson. I think he went for years at a time from time to time on cruise control, and wow there was some empty space when they had 90 minutes to fill. But, when Carson was really on, which I suppose was often enough, he was as engaging as anyone has ever been.

I can't watch any of this stuff on too regular a basis. Seems drawn out and boring.

But I have been pretty much of a Conan fan even when he was really rough in the very beginning. I think Conan is a seriously smart guy and will adapt however he needs to do come up with a great show. Is there really a possibility that Andy Richter would have a regular role on the show? That would be sweet!

Top Bottom