What's new

Conan O' Brien & The Tonight Show

I've been a fan of Conan since his "Simpsons" days. He's a comedic genius. I think he's probably the funniest man in late night, but that doesn't mean he has the best show necessarily. I think Leno's still the better entertainer.

Either way, I never got a gauge for Letterman. I didn't think he was funny growing up, and now that's he's an old fart he just seems grumpy and behind the times. He seems like he needs more fiber or something in his diet, or maybe he needs to talk to Wilford Brimley about checking his blood glucose, and checking it often. And Paul Schaeffer, if I ever see him on the street, is going to get a boot in the butt for annoying the pure **** out of me all these years. If Dave Letterman retired tomorrow, I would be happy I'd never have to see him again.

And Carson Daly, Craig Ferguson, Jimmy Kimmel, or any of the other guys out there in late night do nothing for me. They might as well show the beeping color bar "off the air" sign for five hours because that's the same level of entertainment I get out of watching those chumps. "Vince with Shamwow" makes me laugh more than these guys.

And Paul Schaeffer, if I ever see him on the street, is going to get a boot in the butt for annoying the pure **** out of me all these years.

:lol: I actually think Paul Schaeffer's whole shtick is hilarious, but that pretty much sums up the issue with Letterman, which is that his show is much more quirky and idiosyncratic than some of the others. As a result, it's much more of a love or hate thing. I actually read a comment by him recently where he basically acknowledged that this is the reason he was not able to beat Leno.

I too was always a Letterman guy and then switch to Conan; so this is going to be tough on me. I am very happy that Conan took Leno's spot and I think he will do great! I watched the show the last couple of nights and have really loved it, but of course I love his humor. I think for now I will be primarily watching Conan and then maybe flipping over to Letterman just to see what he is up to.

Also, I do have to say that I am really enjoying Jimmy Fallon too. He has a way to go before the show is really good, but still yet it has been funny and he seems like a good guy. With Dave Matthews Band on there last night doing 2 songs I couldn't help but watch and enjoy!!!

J.

I enjoyed watching Carson growing up. To me, all the late night host today don't have the talent that Carson did. But this is definitely a taste thing.

I thought Leno was awful and I liked Conan on his old show, but I can't help wondering if movin' on up will have a declawing or sanitizing effect on Conan's "edgier" material and attitudes.

PimpBot, Masturbating Bear, etc. All that stuff won't fly in Conan's new spot so he'll have to tone down even further.

I don't really watch any of these shows much. I prefer Conan when Andy Richter is working with him to Conan with anyone else or solo. Conan and Andy were magic.

I really don't like most of what Conan does. His mugging for the camera and posturing got old really fast, and is just annoying. Most of that "humor" was set for a Manhattan audience and just won't fly in LA.

Letterman before his heart attack was the best. After that he seemed old and grumpy, not real focused.

I only wonder if the suits want a new audience for the tonight show or let Conan change to suit the older generation that watched the show and loved Jay.

Did any of y'all catch this?

I only watched it for a few minutes before I went out, but I don't think anything will be as good as the battle between Conan O' Brien, Jon Stewart, and Stephen Colbert during the writer's strike.

I really think he does not have it. The same shtick repeated
will not hold an audience in that time slot.
It is great though now I will not be tempted
to stay up late.

When Conan first started long ago, he was pretty shaky the first couple of weeks. Then he found his footing and later I realized that he was doing what Letterman used to do, before Letterman switched networks and seemed to "grow up".

The good thing is, I saw the first Conan Tonight Show and I liked it a lot. It seems like it will still be the same crazy stuff he did on Late Night. I love seeing Andy back, too.

I'm sure Conan will find his own groove..........just like Leno had to. The Tonight Show has had to change each time the host has changed. Steve Allen,Jack Paar,Johnny Carson......all great just in a different style.

I am a fan of Conan. So far he has been great. Come on, the year 3000 is a genius continuation of the year 2000. I have been enjoying it.

Never got a chance to watch Carson. I really don't like Leno. I don't like the way he interviews people. Letterman is way better at it. The Joaquin Phoenix interview was classic Letterman. But I do think that Leno's segments for the most part were better than Letterman's.

I liked Conan for a long time, but it kindda got old for me. This year I've been watching a lot of Craig Ferguson. The guy cracks me up.

[YOUTUBE]nAvpSdfYAlI[/YOUTUBE]

Conan is nowhere NEAR as green as Leno was when he took over for Carson.

And Conan is very good at what he does. Either you "get him" or you don't.

I would never say the Who "sucked" just because I don't care for their music..

I don't recall ever saying anyone "sucked".

And I think the earlier comments about being declawed and sanitized hit the mark on what I would have said if I had felt I needed to elaborate to avoid being corrected on saying something that I never said. :glare:

Letterman vs. Conana(new show)... Letterman wins. (as of now)

Implying that I don't "get" Conan was a bit of an assumption on your part, I'd say. I got him on his old show. I don't get the shift away from what there was to "get" in his new show. That's what I found disappointing.

Bring back Johnny & Ed......:biggrin:

Hear! Hear! Carson is King!

Conan needs to get away with all of the shtick that repeats night after night. It got old years ago, and after watching the first night that he hosted the Tonight Show and a few others, the shtick is even older now. I don't think that I'll be watching much in the future.

Top Bottom