What's new

Computer Geek Help Needed - PCI Sata Card

Good afternoon chaps. Some of you may remember my Microsoft Multimedia Hell post. Well it likely isn't as bad as all that but MS does not like anything but WAV or WMA/WMV files as default. So I was chagrined when the issue of DVD playback arose. This is a Windows Media Centre PC so uh...yeah, I kind of thought it should play DVDs out of the box. And I am sure it did when new. I re-installed the OS last year and did not realise it needed a separate dvd decoder. Again, should be a standard docoder/driver out of the gates. So I found the ffdshow decoder which is an old standard. Well WMP11 does not like it. It gives a big red x by it when I use Windows XP video decoder checkup tool. It says WMP10 syncrononisation feature is not compatible with ffdshow (v1.2.4422.0) and they recommend not using it. I suppose the Windows Media Centre would be just as unhappy with it so I left it unchecked. Anyone know of a freebie that works? I don't really care about WMP so much but it is linked as a media server to my PS3 and it is handy to be able to use it at the tele. Hence the need for a compatible decoder.

Now to more pressing issues. The DVD drives are DOA and comatose. I cannot complain. They are eight years old. The first died two years ago and I simply disconnected it in BIOS and used the second drive till it went flaky a few weeks ago. Rips with EAC are taking AGES whereas before they took about five to ten minutes. Here's the rub. The pc is about seven years old. Still works well so we keep it around. The trouble arises with the availability of sata channels. I have two but they are in use with hdds. The optical drives were interfaced through the old standard IDE cable. This would be fine save for two things. IDE cables are large, do not tuck away well in the case, and are almost impossible to source anymore without paying a LOT more for them. Newegg listed three, two of which were unavailable and the third was nearly $50. Too much for this application.

So I started looking at sata adapters. Sata optical drives are barely $15-30 anymore so an adapter plus the drives is certainly the more economical way to go. There are those which interface via PCI cards and typically have two to four channels. Then there are those which plug into the IDE port on your motherboard and allow one or two sata channels. I have almost certainly rejected the latter. A stop at our Micro Center reveals the IDE models come back regularly as not working. It is not so much the device as the BIOS of many motherboards do not like them. The clerk told me the return rate is nearly 50%! So I figure it is PCI card for a solution.

Now here is where things get a bit dodgy. These cards range from $12 to $60 and reviews are all over the place for all of them. I know nothing of brands so here is where the brain power of B&B comes to bear. Help me find a PCI card with at least two internal sata channels for a reasonable price. Most come with raid software but it is not needed. These will see only optical drives. Another issue that comes up is boot ability. Pretty nice if you need to re-install Windows to have the ruddy optical drive be bootable straight away. Otherwise it is a usb boot stick and sometimes that stuff is dodgy. Particularly if you are trying to get the danged drivers installed for the opticals. Anyway, give me your thoughts on this. Remember, this a XPsp3 Media Centre, 2.8ghz pentium4, 1Gb ram, PCI(not PCI-E) bus and is bootable from usb. No floppy drive. Thanks.

Cheers, Todd

I use Media Player Classic - Home Cinema. I'm not sure whether it plays DVDs automatically when you insert them--I think it does, but I haven't got it set up like that. Typically, I double click the .IFO or .VOB file in the VIDEO_TS directory. It works for me, since I rarely play DVDs directly, but do have some copied to disk.

More info on wikipedia

Last edited:
Sounds like a dilly of a pickle.
I would look for one of those mom and pop repair shops that has a bunch of old parts hanging around.
They might have IDE cables and be throwing them away!

Have you looked at cheap component sites like monoprice.com?
I have bought from them before. The parts are no-name and cheap as can be.
Maybe they have a cheap converter.

I don't get excited about computer parts anymore. They all fail at some point these days.
I guess it's because I fix them and I'm totally jaded.

Hope you find a good answer. I'm not sure I gave you one :tongue_sm

It's not the cable, I have connected to the current failed ide drives now. Its just drives I need. Monoprice, I should have known. Great place.

Cheers, Todd

Todd,

Posted this in your last thread but I'm not sure if you saw it. I have an IDE NEC ND-3550A optical drive just sitting on my shelf waiting to be used.

I have not use for it so if you would like it, you may have of for free. If you're interested just PM me and I'll get it out to you.

Cheers,

to be honest, all computer parts are like shaving gear, YMMV. I for one love Maxtor/Seagate HDDs but others love Western Digital drives, but all the ones that ive had (and yes theyve been all over their price ranges) have been terrible and end up selling them for a Maxtor/Seagate. So, in essence it doesnt matter which one you go with, just pick one that does what you need it to do and go, IMHO. Especially when the computer is already outdated (no offense, i use antiquated hardware personally) and you'll probably upgrade in the next year or so. So, even if you go with the $80 card, YMMV. So the $12 card didnt work, return it and use the credit towards the $30 dollar one, but the cheap one will probably work fine (as long as windows plays nice) as YMMV.
Also, to solve the potential multimedia dillemma (not dvd playback but the only playing wav/wmv files), google VLC, download and install that (Windows media player and others just are sub-par IMHO). Then, google Nimos Codec, download and install, then reboot, and load up your .avi/.divx/any media type basically and you should be good to go (again as long as windows plays nice).
I appologize if this sounds harsh as that was not my intention, i was just trying to lay down opinions and the options which i personally used while using a windows machine. Again, YMMV with all of this advice. And i hope they both get resolved, as i know how computer issues can just &^*% with your entire day/week/month(depending on issue).

Nah Json, no harshness at all. Indeed, the machine is most certainly outdated. I am not so much bent on sata drives for their sake but because IDE optical drives are becoming prohibitively expensive. You can buy Samsung and LG sata optical drives for $15 or so at Newegg. Combine that with a $10-15 PCI sata controller and it becomes easy to see it is a much more economical prospect than sourcing the IDE drives.

As for the Windows media files issues I chose poor verbiage. I meant to say that WMP really only likes wma and wmv and wav files natively. You can make it play mp3s without too much issue but yeah, there are much better choices for a/v playback. VLC will not play the Dvds either so I ASSume the drive is not reading correctly. EAC is not able to get good rips either. I will also check the decoder you mentioned. Thanks.

And thanks to Chris for the generous offer but I have had zero luck with used optical drives. And I am entertaining the idea of a light scribe capable drive. Most generous offer though.

Cheers, Todd

Light Scribe isn't really worth it..just use a sharpie. :p

There's more bonus to SATA over IDE than just cost..SATA is also way, way, way faster than IDE.
Though I don't know how much a 7 year old PC can make use of that.

Let me start with a quick explanation of my "credentials" for Home media centers.

I have a 16TB system using Media Center with the "Media Browser" extension/plug-in and been using it for years now. My computer is one of those small Acer dual-cores, using a PCI dual port e-sata card (with port multiplier - around 30-40$ if I remember correctly)) to connect to two external Mediasonic 4-bay boxes (filled with 2TB drives), all this connected directly via HDMI to my LCD TV. I have a backup system of my drives (so another 16TB) on my office computer, which my bedroom computer/TV setup pulls from via WIFI.

My setup is: still on the original setup of Win7, with FFshow x64 (updated around February I believe) which provides fast-forward and rewind capacity for most of the AVI files.

My files, either DVD folders (ripped my collection) for movies, and converted my TV series to AVI, and I always get (purchase online) AVI format, or if not, will convert to AVI, as it's the most stable format I've found to ensure playability.

My DVds I've "shrunk" to a max of 6GB size to keep the space usage balanced.

From what you wrote... my recommendation: reformat and reinstall.

The time you'll waste tweaking and messing around isn't worth it.

With a fresh install, you at least can go forward and ensure what whatever is done, you can keep track.

Win7 (also Vista and probably XP's) media Center does have a DVD engine and will/should play DVDs when inserted.

Other recommendation... go with a USB 3.0 card and external drives... Mediasonic now has 8-bay boxes (e-sata and USB3), it'll make things a LOT easier (or 4-bays also).

Only go with multiple externals, ports (or docks if you prefer) if you have money and time to waste.

Why? having to move the drives back and forth, equals physical movement (lots of it), equals faster dead drives, plus having to switch back and forth between drives.

I have a friend that does this (with portable drives) and he's on his 3rd crashed drive, and does so much handling of them whenever he needs to go through them to switch from one movie/show to another, it's just discouraging.

Also... venturing into a serious system... anything that you don't want to lose, have a backup... my complete system is copied to another set of drives, and I did get a drive that just went bad on me, I simply got my backup drive out, copied it over in a few hours (2TB does take a while), and was back to normal (and now awaiting a replacement for the still under warranty one to become the next backup).

And get Media Browser... you'll find a whole different world of ease and "better-ness" using it.

There seems to be confusion about what I need. The Pc came with two optical drives when new. One was a Dvd rom, the other a Dvd burner. The read only drive died about two years ago. The write drive is now failing as well. I am not looking for a backup drive of any kind. I need a new optical drive. Preferably two. This makes dubbing a cd quite handy since Sonic software on the Pc facilitates this. I am not installing hdds of any kind.

The current drives are interfaced via IDE (pata) cable. New IDE optical drives are almost nonexistant which leads to the need for adapting sata optical drives to the machine. The current sata channels in the Pc are being used by hard drives. So I need an adapter of some sort for the new optical drives. Likely the best way is a sata controller card with pci interface. I have tried external usb 2.0 optical drives before. Too slow. I am unsure whether xp supports usb 3.0 but I do not want to tangle with it now. I was more hoping to find someone who had tried one of the pci sata cards to see if the lower priced ones work okay.

Dvd playback issues I cannot determine till I get the optical drives settled.

Cheers, Todd

I thought I should add that if memory serves, XP had no native driver or encoder for commercial dvd playback. The Media Centre application they provided was only available to OEM builders such as Dell. I think Dell and others provided the drivers and decoders to enable dvd playback out of the box. This is why I was a bit surprised at the inability to play them. My re-install included loading the drivers and utilities disc Dell provided and the machine will usually detect what it needs. Strange indeed. Still, windows being windows another install may be needed.

Cheers, Todd

May as well just pick out a controller card based on the reviews, making sure the controller card comes with XP drivers just in case. There's too many differences in computers of that era to go by what one other person recommends. ACPI, chipsets, BIOS, etc. Maybe supplement the reviews by checking out newegg.com. Don't forget to order the cables, too.

My latest PC is similar to yours--no SATA. It's been a couple years since I had to replace an optical drive, and managed to get an old style IDE. Hopefully, it lasts a while. Let us know what you get and how it works. I might need to refer to this someday.

Whatever you do, don't reinstall just yet. You might need a working PC to get the SATA card drivers. Of course, you might not be able to install the drivers (or the OS) off the CD until... well, until after you install the drivers. Chicken and egg. Yet another reason to have an external USB optical drive. (Yes, I realize you need an internal on a fast bus for video playback.) I also have a USB floppy drive for legacy situations like this.

May as well just pick out a controller card based on the reviews, making sure the controller card comes with XP drivers just in case. There's too many differences in computers of that era to go by what one other person recommends. ACPI, chipsets, BIOS, etc. Maybe supplement the reviews by checking out newegg.com. Don't forget to order the cables, too.

My latest PC is similar to yours--no SATA. It's been a couple years since I had to replace an optical drive, and managed to get an old style IDE. Hopefully, it lasts a while. Let us know what you get and how it works. I might need to refer to this someday.

Whatever you do, don't reinstall just yet. You might need a working PC to get the SATA card drivers. Of course, you might not be able to install the drivers (or the OS) off the CD until... well, until after you install the drivers. Chicken and egg. Yet another reason to have an external USB optical drive. (Yes, I realize you need an internal on a fast bus for video playback.) I also have a USB floppy drive for legacy situations like this.

I concur Steve. It is why I am checking out the boot issue with the PCI cards. I am under the general impression that most do not support booting. It is one of the reasons I initially started looking for IDE replacement drives. Believe me, when this was bought I would have been the happiest camper in town if all that legacy rubbish had been left out. And yes, I know there are those who argue; "But I still use xyz component and need the backward compatibility". By that thinking we would have never gotten past the slide rule. Sata was the best thing to happen to serial connections since the dawn of the personal pc I think. No jumpers, no master/slave configuration. I still cannot for the life of me understand why there are PS/2 ports on modern motherboards. I haven't used a keyboard or mouse with other than usb connectors since before I bought this machine seven years ago. Oh well. Not trying to start an argument with anyone. I mean, I get the irony that I am using an old machine...with legacy connections.LOL And I will most certainly try to get a usb boot stick in order before much else happens. As an aside, I know the old to add drivers for added components during re-installs was to make a floppy. Since this machine has no floppy I ASSume I could make do with the drivers on a usb stick. Yes/no/maybe? Thanks again fellas. I am going to grab an el cheapo card from Monoprice today and when it comes in I will report back.

Cheers, Todd

You should (hopefully) only need to worry about the driver when installing windows. But if there is a problem, you could put the driver on the USB stick. Probably in the drivers directory--I forget how it all works. Worry about that if and when you get there. Even then, they might just work in backward compatibility mode. A PCI card should be able to work and boot because SCSI drives always did. But there are some that don't for a bunch of reasons having to do with the card, not so much the main hardware, BIOS, or Windows.

BTW, are you aware of Vogons? Your PC might actually be a bit too modern for them. They're more into DOS and Windows 98 and console emulation.

Last edited:
I like KMP Player for your playback needs. It seems to play almost anything.

For your IDE, compatibility, and driver problems, I would get a new motherboard. You've had enough headaches as it is; stay up to the technology that is still expanding rapidly. No more will you have to worry about backwards-compatility and buying obsolete parts.

Like Burrito said, SATA is the way to go and the newest tech. It seems ideal for a Media Center.

Top Bottom