What's new

computer games and accessories

It was one of those boring rainy days again. Just the usual sitting in my chair , reading 4 month old magazines listing to the overworked fan on my desk struggle to push the air around. Just hoping for a client with a missing cat to walk through the door.

Has anyone here have some actual suggestions for flight games and equipment for a pc these days? Im an OLD hand at flight sims, think RED BARON kids...

Everything these days is all online multiplayer crap, and 300 dollar flight sticks, 3-500$ pedals, 200$ throttle control units and even "simulated" gps flight path and simulated RADIO SYSTEMS .

I did manage to see a few unopened copies of mid to late 90s flight games from Microsoft on amazon, but apparently they cant work with flight sticks made in the last 10 years for some reason.

IF someone just wants to buzz zeppelins and burn a few Fokkers, or even the out dated tie fighter versus x wing, what do you do

im thinking on flight gear.

at moment trying to download rise of flight. BIG MOTHER...... 25% downloaded and it still says 12 hours left...

windows 7 at the moment, I need to upgrade but im LAZY on that..

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I got out of Windows after Vista was a failure and moved to Linux Ubuntu. Best move I ever made.

well thingy seems to be that its HARDER to jury rig Microsoft programs to run outside of Microsoft operating systems then it is to get windows itself to work.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
well thingy seems to be that its HARDER to jury rig Microsoft programs to run outside of Microsoft operating systems then it is to get windows itself to work.
True, that's why I stopped using MS programs. There are free alternatives for just about all popular MS programs that work very well in Linux. There are only two Linux programs that I needed to pay for, one for CAD and the other for PDF editing.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If you're happy with something more arcade game than true flight simulator, Sky Rogue is fun and fairly cheap ($20). The graphics are very . . . retro, but it's a fun game.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My flight games go for $20+ million and are FAA certified. :)
A54457ED-577F-4838-B3B7-AB923E9B6482.jpeg
AA7CFE9C-0B8C-4D76-B860-1DA2B4B75DCC.jpeg

meh..... gulfstream has no balls. none at all.

And that plastic crap.... meh. throw me an eindecker then we can make a deal

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
meh..... gulfstream has no balls. none at all.

And that plastic crap.... meh. throw me an eindecker then we can make a deal
You’ve evidently never flew one. One thing all Gulfstreams have is great power to weight ratio. The 150 is the hot rod of the bunch. Yes, all planes use plastics- cuts down on the weight (a kind of important thing for airplanes)

My only gaming accessories are primarily for console gaming, so here they are:

1. Gaming headset, with a mic attached. If you get a quality one, communication is much greater between you and teammates, and the audio sounds pretty great, while the headset is still comfortable.
  2. Portable keyboard. This is especially helpful in games or situations where you need to type out information. Not always a must-have, but in some games, perhaps.
  3. Controller grip. It’s basically a sleeve that wraps around the majority of the controller. Like the name suggests, it greatly helps with gripping the controller.
  4. Thumbstick grips. These wrap around the top of the thumbsticks on your controller. They make the thumbstick a bit larger, but most importantly, they make the top of the thumbstick concave. Normally, they come as convex, so they aren’t that precise, and may be a bit difficult using, especially if your thumbs sweat. If you have a grip, your thumb kind of nestles in the dip in the grip, so it doesn’t slip off, and it provides greater control.
  5. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT! A LAN CABLE! If you want to be a competent gamer, you need a good Internet connection. Some people are lucky enough to have great Wi-Fi, and can have their consoles placed right next to the router, but in my case, where a) I my area has poorer Internet speeds and b) the router is completely across the house from my room, and even down a floor. When I used to play without a LAN cable, I would average about 70–80 ms of ping, but I would get somewhat frequent spikes, where I would have 200 ms or more of ping. However, now I average around 20–40 ms ping, and rarely have lag spikes.

Another vote for Flightgear. While it takes quite a bit of initial effort to fly with Flightgear, it is well worth. I am not a gamer myself and I have not used FG during the latest years but in the past I used FG because I wanted to know how to fly real airplanes. Through FG I learned air navigation, both with older analog cockpits and with newer computerized cockpits. I practiced flying different approach plates and procedures that I would need if I ever would have a chance to fly in real life.

Some aircrafts are badly made and some are really well made. For some aircrafts I have spent many hours reading their manuals so I would know what to do in different circumstances. Some of the better made airplanes are Boeing 707, MiG 15bis, Tu-154B. Especially the Russian aircrafts (MiG 15bis and Tu-154B) are really well made.

Top Bottom