What's new

Computer dies need help getting data off of hard drive.

My computer died the other week got the new one all up and running. I even stopped by a computer shop and had the get my important files off my old hard drive. After loading what I thought I needed I realized that I forgot about some files. So I bought this "USB 2.0 to SATA Data and Power Cable Adapter For 2.5 /3.5 HD HDD or SSD" to connect to my old hard drive. I figured for $5 it was cheaper then the computer shop down loading more files for me. Before I bought it I asked the seller if this would work for the hard drive I have or did I need an additional power source. The seller replied that the cable was all I would need, just plug and go. I got the cable today and the indicator light on the cable lites up when it is connected but my computer does not recognize the hard drive. Am I missing something or did I buy the wrong thing? Any help would be great. Thanks
$sata cable.jpg$DSCF3808.jpg

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Is the HD turning? I never used one of those so I wouldn't know but if the HD is not turning after you plugged it, you won't be able to do anything.

I always use a toaster. They seem to be the best way to interface a raw HD with the least amount of effort

Everybody needs one sooner or latter

proxy.php

Robert,

You say you have a "USB 2.0 to SATA Data and Power Cable Adapter For 2.5 /3.5 HD HDD or SSD"

Looks like you are on the right track but you're missing the Power Cable Adapter that plugs into a 110 outlet, this is what spins the disk. You only have the data connector (USB).

There should be a separate cable that plugs into the back of your hard drive or one that plugs into the back of your adapter.

Here is what I ask the seller:
"Can you answer a question about this item. I have a hard drive for a computer that dies that I want to get data off of it. My hard drive is a SATA 3.5 and my new computer runs windows 8, will this adapter work by itself or do I also need a power cable? I title states 2.5/ 3.5 but the description only states 2.5, will it work with a 3.5? Thank you for your time."
Here is the seller response:
Yes it will work. You can attach your hard drive to any other working computers.

Here is what I ask the seller:
"Can you answer a question about this item. I have a hard drive for a computer that dies that I want to get data off of it. My hard drive is a SATA 3.5 and my new computer runs windows 8, will this adapter work by itself or do I also need a power cable? I title states 2.5/ 3.5 but the description only states 2.5, will it work with a 3.5? Thank you for your time."
Here is the seller response:
Yes it will work. You can attach your hard drive to any other working computers.

I think they mean you will need to feed it DC to it from any other working computer

If the USB adapter doesn't cover the power connector on the drive (the wide part), you can open your computer case and connect any free SATA power connector to it to power it (any powered SATA connector regardless of computer, really). If the adapter does cover the power connector and you can't connect a power source to it, your adapter isn't what you need. That drive is fairly old, meaning it probably isn't as energy efficient as todays drives. You can't reliably power a modern 3.5" HDD off a single USB 2.0 port, so I doubt you'll be able to power this old drive with one.

The toaster adapter as named by turtle (at least I haven't heard it before) is a much better idea, as they are designed to be used with an external power source. I believe most come with one included, but I'd check. These can be found in most stores that sells more computer parts than keyboards, mice and such. I'd suggest a store, but nearest Clas Ohlson makes as much sense to you as nearest Wally-World makes to me.

Of course, NickCutlips thing works just as well (same thing, different wrapping), but I don't see these as often as toasters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom