What's new

Compulsory safety razor blade question

I learned DE shaving with sampler packs. I had Gillette Platinum in bulk but wanted to find out what is out there. I genuinely believe using all kinds of blades improved my technique.

I'll confess up front that I haven't read all the replies yet, but while I had my two cents worth fresh in mind I wanted to jot it down, so I apologize in advance if someone already covered this in detail.

Technique--yes, absolutely. Get it down until it's practically muscle memory. But . . .

Prep: You mentioned you used electric clippers to trim down a bit prior to shaving; you also mentioned your beard is fairly coarse and perhaps as a result the Derby's tugged and the Astras didn't leave you with warm fuzzies. My hunch is your beard isn't quite prepped enough to properly hew to the blades edge. Good prep is perhaps more crucial than some realize. On average facial hair needs to be hydrated a full three minutes to be considered ready--as with everything else this may vary from person to person. But make sure your beard is well hydrated, perhaps consider a pre-shave oil? I've never used one but my understanding is they can help considerably with tougher growth.

Derby Extras worked surprisingly well for me . . . much better than I ever expected given the many poor reviews, but my facial hair is probably average--certainly not tough, but not fine either. Astras are my baseline against which I compare other blades--yeah, I know that's rife with its own issues, but anyway, I like Astras.

Lots of sage advice I've read above: try and resist the temptation to sample different hardware for at least a month; not an easy task, I grant you. Also consider mapping your beard grain. You may very well find out your results improve substantially if you do.

Nothing to worry about. I can note though that Kyle's prep seems to work wonders for me. After I started to use that as my prep method. Before that I tried to use a small Proraso pre-shave cream. But I noticed that the hairs got clogged in my razor and was harder to remove when I was shaving while using it. A problem I haven't experienced after I switched preps.

As mentioned above my last shave went very well. And I'm certainly not ready to bail on the Astra's just yet. I do have a bunch of other blades ready to go once the time comes to test other blades though.

One of the things I added that I didnt use before was to shave the rest of my face and neck first, then go for the facial hair around my chin and mouth last. Since that would give the lather more time to do it's thing there. According to the tip I read. Only one shave in with that trick, but I feel that it improved the experience around that area. So I look forward to trying it again the next time I shave.

With blades you will find for each razor you buy you will have your favorites and the blade razor combo can be a very different experience from person to person I like the 7’oclkok green and yellow blades in most of my razors including a muhle r89 and Edwin jagger de89 but a blade that I like is the zorrik super platinum in the blue box(not sure if the red package is the same) it also is my go to if I have a cut weeper or razor burn it seems to glide over them and not reopen them but It doesn’t get a lot of love from others

But I’m sure as I continue my journey I’ll be using different blades in years to come just like my blade preference is much different now than from when I started

It is definitely far too early to throw in the towel. I had been shaving with carts for over thirty years, and it took me around a year to master the technique needed for a safety razor.

The razor and blades you have noted are all fine, and an experienced safety razor user should be able to get a good shave with any of them.

To learn the technique quickly, I strongly recommend the Gem razor system. This razor is like a safety razor with training wheels. It sets the angle for you, and it has extra thick blades which destroy even the heaviest stubble. Use it like any other safety razor, but put it large face flat on your own and you will instantly have the perfect angle.

You will quickly get the hang of it and then you will be able to transfer the newly mastered technique over to the DE format razors.

Adding to my comments above, forget about Feather DE blades until you have mastered the technique somewhat. These blades are super sharp and require a super light tough and perfect angle. You will not have achieved that after just a handful of shaves. Maybe give it six to twelve months before you try the Feathers.

It is definitely far too early to throw in the towel. I had been shaving with carts for over thirty years, and it took me around a year to master the technique needed for a safety razor.

The razor and blades you have noted are all fine, and an experienced safety razor user should be able to get a good shave with any of them.

To learn the technique quickly, I strongly recommend the Gem razor system. This razor is like a safety razor with training wheels. It sets the angle for you, and it has extra thick blades which destroy even the heaviest stubble. Use it like any other safety razor, but put it large face flat on your own and you will instantly have the perfect angle.

You will quickly get the hang of it and then you will be able to transfer the newly mastered technique over to the DE format razors.

I'll admit that I have been looking at SE razors as well. The GEM being among them. The only issue is that no store in Norway sells the blades that the GEM razors use. So I'd need to buy them from other sources. I haven't researched as much, but I think the U.K is the closest country that have them.

And while that would work now... After 2019 is over the customs here are gonna change. So we end up having to pay customs for everything we buy outside. Which of course will increase the overall price. Not sure of how much but obviously the goal is to encourage that we buy products within the country instead of the outside.

Or... We do have some GEM blades over here, but it ain't the regular razor blade kind. I'd rather not let those blades touch my face hehe.

On the other hand I've continued to notice that I'm able to stay more on the sweet spot with my razor after I've used it more. So I am confident that I am well on my way. Even though I am certain that it will take time. :)

Last edited:
The Razor Blades Club is located in Sweden and they have a vast selection of all kinds of blades to choose.

As your technique develops you shaves will get better.
Some suggestions.

1. Be sure your lather has sufficient water in it. This makes your shave smoother.

2. Be sure your face is sufficiently hydrated whether you use warm or cold water. If your face is wet before you apply lather for each pass, IMHO, your shaves will be better.

3. Take a washcloth and dip it in cold water and then place it on your face after your last pass.

4. Use WH on your face after you do step 3 above. Use an aftershave balm that is a good moisturizer.

So I browsed the internet today and looked at shaving related things. Some even in Norwegian and I found a store I wasn't aware of existed. It was a combo of a physical barbershop and store + webstore.

Turns out it was run by an older gentleman who also is active on some Norwegian shaving forum. And I found out that back in his younger days he became a barber. And he considers himself to be among the last of the craft over here. As that particular education doesnt exist anymore. And few from his class got to practice after they were done at school, since not all the hairdresser shops practiced it. Even though it was part of the education back then.

Lucky for me he posted some videoes on youtube in Norwegian where he talked about shaving. Just about straight razors though. But he showed some lathering techniques and a preshave technique. As well as some shaving tips for the straight razor, but I quickly understood that some of what he said could be used for DE shaving.

Since I planned to shave today I decided to try these out and all I can say is wow. My shave improved a lot from the last time. After 2 passes I got very close to the skin. So if i had gone for a third, against the grain, I'm sure I could have reached BBS land. But I decided not to test lady luck on it.

I'll admit that through the shave that I broke a rule and went a bit over some areas a couple of times after each other during one pass. So that is something I need to work on the next time. But still. I didnt have much feedback from the alum stone. (A slight tingle) Did get some annoyed areas since I got a bit carried away and over confident at some points. So the angles still needs to be worked on.

And in my enthusiasm I went against the grain on my neck right after going with the grain. So that is something I need to remember to not do the next time.

The lather got a bit runny around the bottom of the neck, so I should have worked it just a bit more. But still, it was perfect for me. I cant describe how baffeled I got from just following those tips of the older gentleman. I think that even some of his attitude from the videos rubbed off on me when I was shaving, with all the confidence I had in my strokes.

I plan to test it again on sunday, but remove one thing from the equation that the older gentleman didn't mention. As I ended up adding taking a shower to the mix. So I want to test his preshave technique 100% the next time. To see the difference.

Since I have vacation I decided to treat myself with trying a new blade. Went for the Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum (black) and I'm astonished.

I've only used it once, but it felt like a good combo with my Mühle R89. It was a bit sharper than the Astra but strangly it also felt really smooth. And it was slightly more effective in my eyes based on the results.

I don't think I'd hesitate to get more of these at some point for my Mühle.

Since I have vacation I decided to treat myself with trying a new blade. Went for the Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum (black) and I'm astonished.

I've only used it once, but it felt like a good combo with my Mühle R89. It was a bit sharper than the Astra but strangly it also felt really smooth. And it was slightly more effective in my eyes based on the results.

I don't think I'd hesitate to get more of these at some point for my Mühle.

The Muhle R89 is a moderate aggression razor. Thus, as long as your technique is good, The 7 O'Clock Black is a great choice for that razor. These blades are not cheap, but since they are both sharp and smooth, I think they are worth the price.

Now if you were using the aggressive R41, the Black might be too sharp and the less sharp Russian Green or Yellow might be a better choice. I have sensitive skin and prefer the 7 O'Clock Yellows in my R41.

The 7 o'clock yellows are great too. I use them for everyday shaving. Another option to consider is Permasharp, sharper than the yellows and long lasting. I get around 6-8 shaves with either. I do not have tough beard by I enjoy a close comfortable shave and those two deliver on both.

The Muhle R89 is a moderate aggression razor. Thus, as long as your technique is good, The 7 O'Clock Black is a great choice for that razor. These blades are not cheap, but since they are both sharp and smooth, I think they are worth the price.

Now if you were using the aggressive R41, the Black might be too sharp and the less sharp Russian Green or Yellow might be a better choice. I have sensitive skin and prefer the 7 O'Clock Yellows in my R41.

Yeah, I have suspected from what I have read that not every blade+razor is a good combo. And I decided to test it for myself today as well. I dont have an open comb razor, but I got a cheap shavette. So I decided to use half an Astra SP blade in it. I felt that the shave with the blade in this shavette was more effective than in my R89.

Did get some nicks though hehe. But managted to complete the shave with the shavette. But I blame that on poor technique as I struggeled with the angles.

So I suspect that an open comb razor is a more ideal combination with the Astra SP blades for my use anyway.

While I only used it some days for touch ups the gillette 7 o'clock black has been used for 7 shaves total counting today. And the blade still keeps on going. So while the price is a bit higher, I think that the price is justified.

I plan to go back to the Astra SP soon to see how long I can make one last. Last time I used one I used to switch after the third shave at most. But I dont feel that it reflects the blades quality. Since I think other factors were at play back then. Such as lathering and technique.

It would also serve as a good pointer for me to calculate how much I would use in a year on blades with the Mühle R89. Since the Astra SP blades are available here in Norway, but the 7 o'clock blades aren't.

As a side note I tried to use an alum block after the first pass on my neck and around my mouth. Tried to apply lather but it disappeared from the brush due to the album block. So I had little lather and ended up using water to shave around those areas. And the results were surprisingly good after the second pass.

So now I got a neat trick to use for touch up passes as well as when I have to use my electric razor. I cant say that I had any irritated skin from it. Did nick myself at the left side of my mouth. But nothing big.

If you don't like your blades, try a different razor. My first few razors were Schick and Gillette butterfly types. They all like Astras - some more than others. In 3 piece razors, such as any of the Techs, Astra Blades seem kinda ho-hum. I can use the lowly Vokshod in almost all of my razors with excellent results, and they last for more quality shaves than many other brands. Lord Platinums work great ... but only in a few of my razors. I read all the bad things from fussy people about the BIC blades, but decided to try them anyway - they're among my favorite blades for smooth irritation-free shaves, and work great in most the same razors as my Voskhods.
Were I forced to limit my blades to only 2 choices, it would be a difficult decision, but at this moment, Voskhods and BICS work the best in the greatest variety of my razors, both of butterfly and 3 piece designs.
If you are disappointed in a particular blade, get one of the ueber-cheap 3 piece Tech clones from China found on E-Bay - sure they have a plastic handle and only cost a couple of $, but they give embarrassingly fine shaves with almost every brand of blade I own. Side-by-side shave comparisons with any of my Gillette Techs, Old Style or new style vs the cheap Ying Jili give identically smooth and irritation-free shaves.

Top Bottom