What's new

Comprehensive list of obscure shaving creams

Dear Friends

I am wanting to compile a comprehensive list of obscure shaving creams, and for this monumental task I am going to need YOUR help.

What is classified as obscure shaving cream, I am well aware, is going to be shrouded in extreme subjectiveness. What one person here classifies as obscure may well be found in another's local supermarket in abundance.

I suspect that the ultimate answer is going to be steeped in ethnocentrism. No offence should be taken by this. I'd imagine that 90% of the posters here are from the USA (with the majority of remainder being from the UK and wider Europe), and so I am guessing what people post up here is going to reflect that geographical distribution.

In light of the B&B population, I would guess that creams that would be considered to be 'obscure' are likely to be from:
  • the Subcontinent (eg Vi-John)
  • Eastern Europe (eg LIDER)
  • South America (eg ?)
  • Africa (eg ?)
Of course, shaving creams that are simply obscure or hard to find in spite these geographical distinctions should be included.

Please post up your obscure shaving creams here. Thanking you in advance.

South America - I can only refer to the region, the "Southern Cone" (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and Uriguay).

As to Argentina, the usual products are sold under global brands as aerosols - Gillette and Nivea. Wella shaving cream flies under the radar but is easily available.

DE SRs became a fad two or three years ago so I've seen some creams by well known local personal care brands being launched some years ago:

- Preal
- Sapolán Ferrini
- Algabo
- Sir Fausto
- Unbranded
- Wels

Add to these offerings from global and local door- to - door personal care products, like Avon and Tsu (local).

Chile: creams mostly, marketed under global brands easily available in supermarkets: Williams, Skin Brazer, Nivea.

There is a local brand of a traditional fragrance for men called Flaño, top notch fragrance.

Uruguay: There is a local brand called Dr. Selby. Tried it, nothing out if this world. As to the rest, the same.

Brazil: same as in Chile (Nivea) plus local brands like Palmindaya and Bozzano.

Natura, a Brazilian MNC owner of The Body Shop, offers shaving creams and after shaves as line extensions of their fragrances. These are easily available in the region.

There is a line, Homem (Men) offering different versions, like Copaiba and Madeiras (Copaiba and Woods).

Paraguay: did not have a chance to visit plus I did not find anything in their eBay.

I hope this makes up for your curiosity.

South America - I can only refer to the region, the "Southern Cone" (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and Uriguay).

As to Argentina, the usual products are sold under global brands as aerosols - Gillette and Nivea. Wella shaving cream flies under the radar but is easily available.

DE SRs became a fad two or three years ago so I've seen some creams by well known local personal care brands being launched some years ago:

- Preal
- Sapolán Ferrini
- Algabo
- Sir Fausto
- Unbranded
- Wels

Add to these offerings from global and local door- to - door personal care products, like Avon and Tsu (local).

Chile: creams mostly, marketed under global brands easily available in supermarkets: Williams, Skin Brazer, Nivea.

There is a local brand of a traditional fragrance for men called Flaño, top notch fragrance.

Uruguay: There is a local brand called Dr. Selby. Tried it, nothing out if this world. As to the rest, the same.

Brazil: same as in Chile (Nivea) plus local brands like Palmindaya and Bozzano.

Natura, a Brazilian MNC owner of The Body Shop, offers shaving creams and after shaves as line extensions of their fragrances. These are easily available in the region.

There is a line, Homem (Men) offering different versions, like Copaiba and Madeiras (Copaiba and Woods).

Paraguay: did not have a chance to visit plus I did not find anything in their eBay.

I hope this makes up for your curiosity.

This is great! Thank you!

Hamol comes to mind. It's a Syrian cream that comes in a tube. It smells so much like the modern Williams soap. The war in Syria has all but curved the production of Hamol.

Barbon and Figaro from Hungary. There used to be a one-man vendor in NJ, Shave-a-buck, who carried some interesting stuff. These two Hungarian creams are wonderful performers. I still have a few tubes left

malocchio is indeed the expert!

here are a few of my "obscure" or otherwise vintage creams!

obscure creams.jpg

I'm not sure if this counts, but this is a tube of random shaving cream I purchased at Burlington Coat Factory earlier this year. It came with an aftershave balm in an aluminum tin and a small bottle of beard oil.

Attachments

• 45376773-6CB9-494E-959E-09A5FFC74442.jpeg
    45376773-6CB9-494E-959E-09A5FFC74442.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
Top Bottom