What's new

Completely Unbiased Analysis of the Annual Cost of Shaving: Cartridge vs. DE

As I was coming home tonight, I got to thinking. A lot of us here at B&B joke that although we got into DE shaving to save money, we ultimately end up spending a lot more than we would have if we would have stuck to our old shaving ways. However, given the high cost of cartridges versus the low cost of DE blades, is that really true?

Source: Walgreens
Gillette Mach3 Turbo $9.49
Mach3 Cartridges (8 pack) $19.49 ($2.44 per cartridge)
Mach3 Cartridges (5 pack) $12.99 ($2.60 per cartridge)
Gillette Fusion Power $11.49
Fusion Cartridges (8 Pack) $28.49 ($3.56 per cartridge)
Fusion Cartridges (4 pack) $14.99 ($3.75 per cartridge)

Sources: Lee's Razors, West Coast Shaving, eBay, Pauldog
Merkur HD: $35.00
Crystals (100 blades) $12.00 ($0.12 per blade)
Derbys (100 blades) $19.99 ($0.20 per blade)
Feathers (100 blades) $25.00 ($0.25 per blade)

Now let's assume that you can get 10 shaves out of a cartridge, and only 5 out of a blade. (I honestly just made these values up. Cartridge/blade use varies greatly from person to person and from blade to blade) That would mean that if you shaved every single day for a year, you would need 36.5 cartridges or 73 blades.

The annual cost of each:
Crystals - $8.76
Derbys - $14.60
Feathers - $18.25
Mach3 (8) - $89.06
Mach3 (5) - $94.90
Fusion (8) - $129.94
Fusion (4) - $136.88

Average DE shaver: $13.87
Average Cartridge shaver: $112.70

Now these numbers really make me think that either my math is off (likely), or I just picked idiotic values for the average number of shaves out of a cartridge/blade (even more likely).

In any case, I thought I was giving cartridges an advantage, and they ended up costing almost 10 times as much! If you shave with Crystals, you can rest easy knowing that you can shave for FIFTEEN YEARS and still spend less than the average man does in a year on shaving with Gillette's farce of a razor.

I once heard a story, that some years ago, Colgate was in trouble. The company needed to increase it's revenues by 10%, and had no feasible idea about how to do so. Then someone proposed that they simply make the hole that the toothpaste comes out of 10% larger. They did, and competition and history made it so that now you will see that all modern toothpastes will squeeze an unnecessarily large amount of toothpaste onto your brush.

I don't know if the story is true or not (Snopes didn't have it on record), but I figure that's kind of what's been going on down in the Gillette R&D department. For Christ's sake, The Onion predicted the Fusion in 2004! If you think about it, each Fusion cartridge actually has SIX razor blades in it. On the other hand, I feel that Gillette razors have always been inexpensive. After all, even if a Gillette 195 can go for $1500 on eBay today, the reason it was called a 195 in the first place was that at the time of production, the thing only cost $1.95! I shudder to think what my grandchildren will be shaving with, but weep when I think how much they'll have to pay each week to shave with it.

I didn't include the price of shave creams/soaps/gels/foams in the totals, nor other shave essentials such as brushes, scuttles, or stands. The reason for this was that a lot of people use a brush with cartridges, and I'm sure there are some people who *cringe* use a DE with canned goo. Yet this brings me to my original question. Am I saving money, even with all the extra razors and brushes I purchase? Let's find out!

My Shave Gear
Merkur 11C $35
Merkur 38C $40
Merkur 37C $35
Gillette Fatboy $25
Gillette Black Handle Superspeed $10
Rooney 3-1 $75
C&E BBB $25
Shavemac 22579 $80
B&B Essential $50
Razor Stand $15
Lather Bowl $3

Total: $393

So, according to what I've decided to called POBME (Price of B&B Membership Equation) :cool:

(Razors+Brushes+Misc)/112.70=Years needed to "break even"

Since I've been DE shaving for five months, All I need to do is keep my current setup for three years to break even! Then the savings start rolling in! :lol:

I know this seems impossible, but I really do hope to not buy too much new stuff, and this calculation only makes me more determined not to indulge my already expensive habit.

I know, this new equation still doesn't account for soaps/creams. To be honest, I don't know enough about the average wetshaver's shave den, costs, or shaves per soap/cream to start making inferences about that. Unfortunately, given the low cost of shave gel, we might lose any monetary benefit with soaps/creams that we gained with DE blades.

In conclusion (finally!), while I at first thought wetshaving was just an expensive hobby that was ultimately worth it for the better shaves I've been getting, I have come to realize that with a little willpower, DE shaving can become the affordable shaving option I've always wanted it to be!

*The HD, Mach3, and Fusion are listed for comparison purposes only*
*You will note that I included the purchasing en masse option for DE blades, but only allowed for purchases in increments of 4 or 8 for Fusion cartridges. This is because I thought that most men would just go to the local drugstore for their cartridges, and would not search for a bulk option the way we do for our blades. I could be mistaken in this belief.*
*I have included neither tax nor shipping in these calculations*
*I know this was much to long for a blog, let alone a forum post. My bad. However, I'm done with studying for few days, had a fun night tonight, and I'm still up, so screw it!*
*Remember that this was a 100% unbiased comparison :biggrin:

Very interesting. Though if you can stay with that current setup for 3+ years youre a stronger man than most of us here!!

At first I thought DE shaving would be cheaper; at first I actually believed it. It can be a cheaper way to shave, however, once I started getting into the variety of razors, soaps, creams A/S and colognes, the costs started mounting.

Now? It's all about the pleasure and indulgence of a good shave, a gourmet shave, as Leisureguys calls it. Hang the expense - I'm worth it. :wink:

At first I thought DE shaving would be cheaper; at first I actually believed it. It can be a cheaper way to shave, however, once I started getting into the variety of razors, soaps, creams A/S and colognes, the costs started mounting.

Now? It's all about the pleasure and indulgence of a good shave, a gourmet shave, as Leisureguys calls it. Hang the expense - I'm worth it. :wink:

Agreed DE shaving is cheaper. It is all the AD's that kill ya!

Great post, now I have some real proof that I can show my wife. She is struggling with the fact that 200 razors, 28 soaps and creams, 7 bottles of AS and 14 bottles of EDT is cheaper....:blushing:

although on the other hand, if you did want to change your set up, it is possible for you to sell some of your old set up to offset the costs slightly.

With a cartridge razor, if you wanted a new razor (perhaps moving to wilkinson sword quattro or King of shaves Azor) you'd just buy a new razor and throw the old one away. much more wastefull.

Of course, with a straight you don't need to buy blades at all :wink:

Completely Unbiased Analysis ??

If it was just ecomonics, why not just use a electric Phillishave shaver or something - even less running costs ....

Then you'd have to account for a higher initial outlay surely? (I have no idea how much an electric face grinder is or how long they last without requiring replacement parts etc)

Very interesting. Though if you can stay with that current setup for 3+ years youre a stronger man than most of us here!!

My shave setup has gotten smaller in the last two years from when I joined B&B. I initially was so excited, I had a dozen brushes and wanted to try everything, but after a year of experimenting I narrowed my collection down to products I really liked.

This is an interesting subject that creeps up from time to time on this forum. This is probably the most thought I've seen put into it.

Wetshaving is an expensive hobby if taken to it's extremes. Since we can't actually shave all the time, we fill the void with purchases (read:ADs). Especially at first during the honeymoon phase. During this period, we're most likely not saving any money.

Some mellow out and find a rotation of equipment and supplies that works for them. They might save money in the end. Those for whom it becomes a passion...well...passion and budgets don't mix. So it's not an issue for those people I would assume.

I'd also not be comfortable to equate "Razor Collecting" (or any of the various ADs afflicting our B&B brothers) to the same as the COST of cartridge shaving. I mean, you forgot to include the cost of the cartridge users collection of... coins or classic cars or whatever. That's what REALLY sets us apart, that after three years of use (or 30), our shaving devices are worth the same if not MORE than what we paid originally whereas the cartridge users chucks his cartridge into the trash along with all the other 'disposable' items of our modern society.

Not only do our blades cost significantly less, our shavers are a collectible item that holds or increases in value over time. Shoot, alot of guys are MAKING money buying their shavers in antique shops, restoring them and selling them on Ebay. I still hold firm, that this is a MUCH cheaper way and an EXTEMELY more enjoyable way to shave... a process mostly detested by the average cartridge user (I formerly being one). The added bonus of finding a small and affordable device that I enjoy aesthetically for collecting purposes is pure gravy.

Mmmmmmm... gravy :biggrin:

When I did the math, it came out to be $150 with shaving gels vs $50 with Blades, Brush usage (assuming you have to buy one every 5 years) and Shaving creams and soap.

although on the other hand, if you did want to change your set up, it is possible for you to sell some of your old set up to offset the costs slightly.

With a cartridge razor, if you wanted a new razor (perhaps moving to wilkinson sword quattro or King of shaves Azor) you'd just buy a new razor and throw the old one away. much more wastefull.

Of course, with a straight you don't need to buy blades at all :wink:

This is how I hope to approach the future. I've tried 7 razors and 5 brushes, but have tried to sell anything that I didn't really love or wouldn't use on a regular basis.

Completely Unbiased Analysis ??

If it was just ecomonics, why not just use a electric Phillishave shaver or something - even less running costs ....

Then you'd have to account for a higher initial outlay surely? (I have no idea how much an electric face grinder is or how long they last without requiring replacement parts etc)

Oh, well "completely unbiased" was a joke really :wink:, considering that I probably subconsciously fudged the numbers in favor of DE shaving. After all, I was kind of simply searching for a justification for the $400 I've spent so far on this stuff! :biggrin:

You know, I didn't even consider electric shaving. That would certainly change the comparison. Top of the line electric razors can cost $200-$400, but have essentially zero operating costs and last for years. If you only bought a new one every 5-10 years, I suspect the costs would come out to be less than cartridge or DE razors.

Apples to Apples comparison, DE shaving is cheaper

Apples to Apples = owning one razor, using one blade brand, using one soap/cream using one bruch

I will use my case as an example. I have ever since beginning shaving used a brush and soap, but only recently started using a DE. My setup did not change dramatically between cartridge and DE shaving because most of the creams etc I was already aware of and I had already settled on my soap of choice.

So with all else equal, I can make a fair comparison, changing nothing but the DE for the cartridge, you save money, lots of money.

It is not DE shaving itself that is more expensive or less expensive. It is whether you choose to make shaving your hobby or not. If it remains merely a personal maintenance item (albeit an enjoyable one) then it IS much cheaper to use a DE instead of a cartridge. That of course is on a purely economic level.

If, however, shaving becomes your hobby, be prepared hobbies are expensive.

Thanks for the post...very interesting. Although, since I've gotten into just baout all the damned AD's you can think of, I can't say that I've saved any money....but boy, I've sure enjoyed spending it.

SWMBO says that I've dropped quite a bit of cash this year on straight razors, more straight razors, brushes, blades, hones, strops, and colognes....

I guess I'm just a born consumer, after all.

Oh, well "completely unbiased" was a joke really :wink:, considering that I probably subconsciously fudged the numbers in favor of DE shaving. After all, I was kind of simply searching for a justification for the $400 I've spent so far on this stuff! :biggrin:

You know, I didn't even consider electric shaving. That would certainly change the comparison. Top of the line electric razors can cost $200-$400, but have essentially zero operating costs and last for years. If you only bought a new one every 5-10 years, I suspect the costs would come out to be less than cartridge or DE razors.

Must admit I like my wee Philishave two head job with the Nivea Shaving Balm pouches - around USD65 new and boxed from ebay. But then the refills bump up the running costs .... :)

When adding in electric razors to the equation, you must also factor in the cleaning agents/solvents/lubricants and the cost of replacement blades(yep, you need to change the 'wheelies' or whatever).

Having done all 3, I'll list them in order from cheapest to highest:

1. DE setups(provide the closest, most enjoyable, and irritation free shaves).

2. Cartridge setups(close but lots of bumps which led to less shaving which led to skin not being use to being shaved which led to shaving which led to bumps which........)

3. Electric razors(quick,deadly, and costly) Who doesn't love the smell of petroleum distillate on their face first thin gin the morning? led to the hardest amd mosr irritating of razor bumps,road rash. and razor burn. Mind you, they did an excellent job on my head-but it was my face I was most concerned with. Replacing the heads when they got dull was expensive. Also, if you kept it long enough, at some point you could no longer find the parts you needed to keep using it which led to an upgrade costing more money.

I should have put in straight razor shaving( I own a straight but don't use it.) which is cheaper(riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight-have you seen the cost of strops, hones, cases,etc{cheaper than other methods} but since i have never shaved in that fashion, those who do can comment on that area.

marty

Top Bottom