What's new

Completely Unbiased Analysis of the Annual Cost of Shaving: Cartridge vs. DE

Just wanted to say Great Thread. I am going to tweak the numbers to reflect my experience, just for fun.

Gillette Mach 3 Cartridges $17.49 @ Shop Rite for 8. When I last used that system, I would get close to a month's worth of shaves per cartridge, so to be generous, let's assume 12 cartridges a year - $26.23

I am getting, on average 8 shaves per DE Blade, which is about 46 blades a year if I shave everyday.

Feather @ $0.25/Blade = $11.50
Red Personna @ $0.11/Blade = $5.06
Derby @ $0.12/Blade = $5.52

So, on blades alone I am saving enough to cover the cost of one TOBS cream.

But most of you are thinking, I don't get anywhere that number of shaves per blade! :w00t:

OK, let's tweak the numbers some more.

Cartridge @17.49/8 = $2.18625/cartridge

Shaving every day = 365 shaves/year
@5 shaves per cartridge = 73 = $159.60
@10 shaves per cartridge = 37 = $80.89
@15 shaves per cartridge = 25 = $54.65
@20 shaves per cartridge = 19 = $41.53
@28 shaves per cartridge = 14 = $30.61

@2 shaves per Feather Blade = 183 Blades = $45.75
@2 shaves per Derby Blade = 183 Blades = $21.96
@2 shaves per Red Pack Personna Blade = 183 Blades =$20.13

@4 shaves per Feather Blade = 92 Blades = $23.00
@4 shaves per Derby Blade = 92 = $11.04
@4 shaves per Red Pack Personna Blade =92= $10.12

@5 shaves per Feather Blade = 73 Blades = $18.25
@5 shaves per Derby Blade = 73 = $8.76
@5 shaves per Red Pack Personna Blade = 73 =$8.03

That sounds impressive, as you're saving money with the DE, but the catch is you're shaving every day. So now, what if you shave with a cartridge only 5 days a week? Well, let's make it easier. What if allowing for Vacation, Weekends, and Holidays plus "special occasions" when you need to shave a number of 255 shaving days is arrived at (365-104-14+8) which is close enough to 70% of the year.

Then,

Shaving every day = 255 shaves/year
@5 shaves per cartridge = 51= $111.50
@10 shaves per cartridge = 26 = $56.84
@15 shaves per cartridge = 17 = $37.17
@20 shaves per cartridge = 13= $28.42
@28 shaves per cartridge = 10= $21.86

BUT, I didn't get into this to save money. I got into this to get better, closer, irritation free shaves. The savings in blades is a nice bonus. What about the money I'm spending on after shaves and soaps? I say, you can't take it with you!

I got into this to save money and according to my budgeting, I have. Of course, I only have two razors (an HD and some travel razor I bought for $3) one brand of blade (500 x Derbys) so the cost stays low. I seem to have a limitless supply of Proraso near my house too, so it's win win. :biggrin:

But most of you are thinking, I don't get anywhere that number of shaves per blade! :w00t:

I was thinking the exact thing! I get 3-6 shaves with a DE and I'm happy.

Excellent post, Lou. I liked the side-by-side comparison of how many shaves per blade/cartridge and the effect on the annual cost.

I used to use mach 3's and the fusion's, cost about 20 per month and I had to take two days off to let my face heal from general burn and irritation, I also had a good amount of ingrown hairs to deal with as my neck is a one heck of a rats nest when it comes to growth pattern.

Since going to a DE I have indeed fell "victim" to the purchasing of tons of blades and other supplies. Instead of feeling the need to shave just for work, I now look forward to taking my time doing it right and enjoying a strong cup of coffee while I work the stubble off. I haven't had any ingrown hairs and other than a few slices and a weeper here or there I am a very happy man.

I have bought the equivalent of 6 months worth of cartridges in supplies and have no regrets what so ever. I have enough shave soap and blades to last at least 2-3 years. My girlfriend thinks I am a bit nuts but there really isn't anything new with that line of thought.

My other reason for getting started in this type of shaving is basically getting away from items that are mass marketed and shoveled down our throats whether it be via the tube or the internet. My grandfather shaved with a DE until he passed on, I certainly believe that if it was good enough for him it should suit me fine as well.

Just got my first shipment of feathers and have put two shaves on one blade with the parker, and just received my my slant this morning and got one hell of a shave with it. I was averaging 3 shaves with a wilkinson blade and I picked those up fairly cheap. Not sure how long the feathers will last at this point in time.

Overall I decided that it is time to start enjoying some of the finer thing in life, fine booze, beers, food, my very fine girlfriend, Cuban cigars and finally a shave worthy of the being listed along side the other guilty pleasures I enjoy so much.

It could cost my twice compared to what I was spending and I wouldn't change a thing.

Top Bottom