What's new

Completely green to the world of non mass market razors, and I want something better

Aside from your choice of razor and brush...
I suggest you start with a shave cream, such as Taylor or Cyril Salter, instead of a soap. IMO, getting a good cream lather is a bit more foolproof than working up a suitable soap lather. At first, you want to work on your razor technique and don't want to have to worry about poor technique AND lousy lubrication from a bad lather.
Also, start with a blade that is generally highly regarded (but NOT Feather/Iridium/Blue Bird sharp) such as Isreali Personnas, Derby's, Sharks, or Lord's. Get a sampler pack that includes some of these blades, and stay away from the blades that get inconsistent reviews until later when your technique is better. Then, you can assess them without wondering if it's your technique or if it's the blade if you get a bad shave.
And finally, enjoy it. Don't let shaving be a chore. Enjoy the scents of the creams and soaps available. Enjoy the feel of the brush and lather on your face. Enjoy the control you'll have over the closeness and comfort of your shave. Enjoy the money you'll save. The blades are cheap, and the creams and soaps last a long time, so it doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor. You're doing this for YOU, so let it be a bit self-indulgent.

Last edited:
Sorry for hijack but:

What a great thread, exactly what I was looking for as a very quick idiot proof intro on what to get started with without spending a whole day researching it!

Thanks so much everyone - I just picked up a Super Speed from BST for 9 bucks. Awesome!

One question: I am looking at getting blades now, I see no one has mentioned the Super Speed blades themselves, is that because I should be using something else? I can see that the SS are v cheap.... Thanks!

PS. Anyone other UK users here? :)

Top Bottom