What's new

Complete Newbie with questions! Thank you!

Welcome to Badger & Blade! I really don't have any more to add than the great advice above. There is a lot of different types of conversations going on around here. Check out the Mess Hall as I am sure the guys there would love to learn about Argentinian BBQ. Welcome to B&B!
Oh heck yes.

I don't think it is a good idea to attack two weeks worth of beard with a blade. You need to be really careful and use extremely short strokes with that. I would recommend shaving at least once a week.

I'm aware of that. I usually use my trimmer beforehand and get the beard shorter so I can shave much easier. I appreciate the reminder though!

I appreciate all the suggestions and comments! I finally, I settled on the Edwin Jagger 89DE, got a blade sampler although I will stick with one type for a bit and see how it goes and got taylor of old bond street avocado shaving cream. Comes in in about a week.

SUPER EXCITED! I'll keep everyone updated.

I'm aware of that. I usually use my trimmer beforehand and get the beard shorter so I can shave much easier. I appreciate the reminder though!

I appreciate all the suggestions and comments! I finally, I settled on the Edwin Jagger 89DE, got a blade sampler although I will stick with one type for a bit and see how it goes and got taylor of old bond street avocado shaving cream. Comes in in about a week.

Wasn't sure if you were using a trimmer. Shouldn't have assumed. Once you find cream/soap, a brush, and a razor that you really love you may want to shave more often anyway. I found that when I returned to wet shaving I really looked forward to shave days. That has not changed.

Same here. I got a pretty darned good shave Monday night, and by noon, was looking forward to shaving last night. VERY unusual.

Welcome aboard. Yes, an Edwin Jagger closed comb and some Gillette Silver Blue blades.
Don't forget the software. Try one of Captain's Choice creams or soaps. His Bay Rum is great.
Mikey

Mikey

Welcome to B&B.
I think the EJ was a good choice, just shave with a shallow blade angle i.e. shallow blade to skin angle. The Shave Wiki link near the top of the page will lead you to some good advice on correct technique and making a slick lather. A daily with the grain (WTG) single pass shave will not get the stubble very short but will allow you to work on technique. Add a cross grain pass when you feel ready and build up to the number of passes you feel you need.

I started with an EJ89, and am glad I did. It was a great razor on which to learn. I immediately enjoyed my shaves with it. A blade sampler or two is a good approach.

Finally did my first wet shave today! My face feels amazing. I used the derby blades that came with the DE89 that came. I can definitely see the importance of technique when shaving. However, I felt that I wasn't getting as close a shave as I would like. Its been a couple of hours and I feel I grew a shade already. Also, getting the beard under the neck is a tough spot. I feel that I can't get that super close shave I like. Regardless, practice makes perfect and I'll keep practicing and learning.

Again, probably one of the best shaves I've ever had. No razor burn and face feels very FRESH.

Thanks all and happy shaving!

Finally did my first wet shave today! My face feels amazing. I used the derby blades that came with the DE89 that came. I can definitely see the importance of technique when shaving. However, I felt that I wasn't getting as close a shave as I would like. Its been a couple of hours and I feel I grew a shade already. Also, getting the beard under the neck is a tough spot. I feel that I can't get that super close shave I like. Regardless, practice makes perfect and I'll keep practicing and learning.

Again, probably one of the best shaves I've ever had. No razor burn and face feels very FRESH.

Thanks all and happy shaving!
Try some different blades. Some like Derby, but other brands get much better reviews. Everyone's face is different. We all find blades that work best for us, are more or less comfortable, etc. Also, if we have several razors, sometimes we find that what works well in one of our razors doesn't work as well in another razor.

Try some different blades. Some like Derby, but other brands get much better reviews. Everyone's face is different. We all find blades that work best for us, are more or less comfortable, etc. Also, if we have several razors, sometimes we find that what works well in one of our razors doesn't work as well in another razor.

I bought a variety pack because when I bought the razor it didn't mention about it coming with a couple of blades. I am going to try the feather blades. I've read they are some of the sharpest ones.

Top Bottom