What's new

Complete beginner and Grey Flannel

First of all, please go easy on me. I've only ever used balms after shaving and have just purchased what appears to be quite close to a splash. While waiting for a bus last night, I wandered into a Big Lots discount store and bought Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel "after shave lotion" for a grand total of $3.26. I had read positive reviews of the scent on these boards, and figured their "lotion" would be worth trying. When I got home and unboxed the 100ml bottle, I found that it was filled with a liquid and not anything close to what I would describe as a "lotion". I had been thinking about trying a splash or an alcohol-based aftershave, and now it seems I have, inadvertently. Anyway, my two questions are as follows:

1. What should I expect from the aftershave experience? Just put a little on my palm and spread it on my face? I have never used one before, and don't really know what to expect.

2. Does anyone have experience with this particular product? I couldn't find a review, and would like to know how it compares to other alcohol-based aftershaves.

Any other wisdom that you can impart to a first time splasher would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading. Enjoy your weekend.

I just put some on my palm and rub it into my face & neck. I adjust depending on the alcohol sting. Then I rinse with a tiny bit of very cold water. Depending on your skin type you can use a balm afterward but I don't since the aftershave I use contains glycerin and other moisturizing stuff so I am fine.

This is an old standby in my rotation.

After the shave and a warm and cold rinse, pour some in your hands and rub it on your face. You should get that wonderful "burn" that quickly subsides. It works pretty much like any other alcohol based A/S. Just has that very nice classic oakmoss scent there. Hangs around a bit but if you like it just add a bit of GF Edt to your pulse points and you are all set.

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, I have a somewhat related question. What is the benefit to using an aftershave "splash" as opposed to ASB? I was always under the assumption that alcohol was extremely bad for your skin? Doesn't it dry out your skin horribly, and cause premature wrinkles? So why are AB/AS products so popular among the shaving community? Is there something I'm not aware of?

Sorry to sound like such a n00b...it's probably because I am. As a newcomer to wetshaving, any feedback from some more experienced B&B members would be very much appreciated.

:huh:

1. What should I expect from the aftershave experience? Just put a little on my palm and spread it on my face? I have never used one before, and don't really know what to expect.

2. Does anyone have experience with this particular product? I couldn't find a review, and would like to know how it compares to other alcohol-based aftershaves.

My general experience is that, at least with aftershaves, you're not going to find that "lotion" indicates any kind of creamy solution. If that's what you're looking for, try balms or milks. Even stuff like Pinaud Clubman is sold as after shave lotion.

I think that Grey Flannel's aftershave is OK. I generally use it when I'm going to use the GF cologne too, but I use it without anything else too. I don't get much of a sting from it, and it doesn't leave my face feeling tacky. I just pour a little into the palm of my hand, rub my hands together and put it on my face--somewhere between a slap and a pat.

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, I have a somewhat related question. What is the benefit to using an aftershave "splash" as opposed to ASB? I was always under the assumption that alcohol was extremely bad for your skin? Doesn't it dry out your skin horribly, and cause premature wrinkles? So why are AB/AS products so popular among the shaving community? Is there something I'm not aware of?
:

It may be that some people find alcohol-based aftershaves to be drying, but I don't. It evaporates rather quickly and doesn't do anything but make my face feel good. I think that the best ways to protect your skin are to avoid excessive, unprotected exposure to the sun and the elements, drink plenty of water and eat a healthy diet. Heredity probably plays a big role here too. I'm not convinced that the notions and potions that people slather all over their faces do much of anything to help their skin.

Sorry to sound like such a n00b...it's probably because I am. As a newcomer to wetshaving, any feedback from some more experienced B&B members would be very much appreciated.

The alcohol is a minor part of the aftershave. It evaporates within seconds. I think that highly alkaline soaps have much more drying effect than a splash of aftershave. Just my opinion, but I use aftershave every day, and do not have dry skin on my face.

The only thing I would say to the OP is that if you like the scent, go back to Big Lots and buy another bottle because they may never have it again when they run out.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I love using GF. It's like they especially made it for use in winter. However, being a new wet shaver, if your technique with a DE is not yet where it should be, the alcohol in the GF AS, is pretty potent. So if you tend to still give yourself razor burn, splashing that on may be some what of a surprise.

When I use GF or any AS splash that has high alcohol content. I like to first pour a dime size amount of either corn huskers lotion, or Nivea sensitive skin moisturizing balm in my hand and then dash some of the GF AS right on top of it. Mix it in my hands by rubbing them together, and then rub it on my face and neck.

This really takes most of the bite out of the alcohol while, still letting me get accustomed to some of the bracing burn that alot of the guys on here say they enjoy. It also allows me to moisturize while enjoying the scent I have chosen.

What????? What is it you are saying????

Big Lots is a store that buys overstocks, discontinued items, and the stock of other stores that have went under. Hence, it is quite common to find an item for sale one week, only to return the next week finding it sold out.

Due to the nature of this type of store, it is commonplace for them to not restock items once the initial lot has sold.

They stock a fairly large collection of cologne, aftershaves, and gift sets at Christmas time, but it's much the same story: Finding a bottle of cologne this week doesn't mean it will ever be restocked once the current stock sells out.

The store is thus very hit, or miss, but you never know what you might find. :thumbup1:

What????? What is it you are saying????

The whole concept of Big Lots is to buy "lots" (retail lots) of goods on a secondary market. Things like closeouts, slightly damaged goods, overstocks and things like that which they can get for cheap and resell. That was the original concept anyway. I have noticed that Big Lots is keeping some items in permanent stock now (at least I think they are). Anyway, if I'm at Big Lots and I find something I like, I tend to buy a few more than I presently need because I never know if I'll find it again.

EDIT: sorry Michigan, I didn't realize you had already responded!

Last edited:
I never find any good stuff at my local Big Lots. My timing must not be very good. TJ Maxx/Marshalls is a good place to buy Grey Flannel EDT. I've never seen the aftershave there however..

Big Lots is a store that buys overstocks, discontinued items, and the stock of other stores that have went under. Hence, it is quite common to find an item for sale one week, only to return the next week finding it sold out.

Due to the nature of this type of store, it is commonplace for them to not restock items once the initial lot has sold.

They stock a fairly large collection of cologne, aftershaves, and gift sets at Christmas time, but it's much the same story: Finding a bottle of cologne this week doesn't mean it will ever be restocked once the current stock sells out.

The store is thus very hit, or miss, but you never know what you might find. :thumbup1:

Scared me to death!! Thought you meant there would be no more Gray Flannel!!! Glad you meant just the store!

Top Bottom