What's new

Compasses

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Do you have the suunto button? I was tempted to get one but they were all sold out

Yes, and I needed it - just once, but an interesting life moment.

🤔 You know the sun rises in the east etc.

You know, intellectually, it's southeast in winter.

You cannot guess a straight line path in thick woods based on intellectual knowledge.

Carry a compass.

AA

There are a lot of good compasses. I prefer ones with a set and forget declination and that's why I don't favor the Cammenga - even though it's cool as heck. I've had really good luck with compasses from Kasper and Richter [Alpin] and Suunto [MC2G]. I have had bad luck with Brunton Compasses. The two that I had formed a bubble very quickly.

Not too far from me at all.
I ended up getting a suunto Mc-2G

now just to get some nice paper maps of Ontario. Haha any recommendations?
Good choice! I really like the (G)lobal feature for the needle. Fast orientation at greater held angles.

Good choice! I really like the (G)lobal feature for the needle. Fast orientation at greater held angles.
That’s exactly the reason I picked the G version. I figured if it was having the kids learn to read maps they won’t always be holding it straight.

New compass arrived. Now tp
Go play with it.
09B37CE2-58FA-4EDB-B7E8-8B149E25336C.jpeg

I was buying my topographic maps from Coles books but I havent tried buying any since my last Moose hunt in 2005. On our trips north of Pickle Lake the topo was indispensable. Having a look around now, apparently theres a tool so you can make your own.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/topographic-maps
I took a look at that page. Printed up a few pages on it too. Nothing too spectacular but it does for a neighbourhood map for the kids to practise on. I found a place called map town that sells 1:50000 topographical maps of Ontario. I might pick up some of the places I visit regularly.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I took a look at that page. Printed up a few pages on it too. Nothing too spectacular but it does for a neighbourhood map for the kids to practise on. I found a place called map town that sells 1:50000 topographical maps of Ontario. I might pick up some of the places I visit regularly.

If you zoom in you'll get elevation changes but yeah, not as detailed as I like either.

Top Bottom