What's new

Comparison Shave

Left Side: Micromatic Clog-Pruf + GEM SS PTFE
Right Side: Schick Model E Injector + Chick Blade
ToBS Eton College

4 passes and still not a close or smooth shave with the GEM. if this were a DE shave, I' have stopped and tossed the blade. I'll redo another trial once a sampler pack of blades is delivered. IMO the GEM SS PTFE is a complete loser at any price.

3 passes with the Injector was measurably smoother than the GEM, but not up to my standard of an exceptional shave.

ShaverAZ:

The angle that the blade is held to the face is critical for a smooth and close shave.

For both the Schick injector and the Gem-type SE razor, the face of the razor's head should be flat on the skin of the face. That's what the manufacturer's instructions say regarding the Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf and the Shick injector, and that has been my experience.

Are you doing that?

ShaverAZ:

The angle that the blade is held to the face is critical for a smooth and close shave.

For both the Schick injector and the Gem-type SE razor, the face of the razor's head should be flat on the skin of the face. That's what the manufacturer's instructions say regarding the Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf and the Shick injector, and that has been my experience.

Are you doing that?
With over 50 years of shaving with several dozen different types of razors, I've already adapted to the proper shave angle for the particular razor I'm using.

Revisiting the Micromatic, I used a new silver carbon steel blade.
This week i Shark Week at the DE Forum, so I had a DE razor loaded up to do a left side vs right side shave. The left side shave with the carbon blade wasn't t all tuggy or chick blade disgusting as the PTFE blade was, nevertheless, 3 passes were only marginally smooth. A clean up pass with a Schick Injector & Chick blade made it all close & smooth. The Shark blade in a Ball End Old type was nothing remarkable, yet still much more comfortable & smoot.

GEM blades aren't optimal on the 1st shave, they tend to be a little edgy or rough on the first shave, at least that's my take on them. Once they've broken in, they become much smoother, and yield a better shave.

That said, I like my Micromatics, both the Open Comb and the Flying Wing (closed), but my GEM Junior has yet to give me a truly comfortable and close shave, it will do one or the other, just not at the same time. I break in the blades using the slightly smoother/less aggressive Flying Wing, and then move it over to the MMOC. The MMOC is fantastic though.

Don't have a Clog-Proof model, but I recall they have a lot more space between the blade and guard for lather to flow. Wonder if angle makes a bigger difference with that model, due to the wider spacing of the guard.

Top Bottom