What's new

Comparison of Standard razor with ATT Calypso M1 & Hone 15a required

I bought a Standard razor not long after they were first introduced. Whilst it was smooth in use, it didn’t really shave as close as some of my other razors so I haven’t used it for a while. Recently I acquired a Razorock Hawk v2 SE razor, which like the Standard, is also an all aluminium (aluminum) razor.

I have been getting on really well with the Hawk, so I got out the Standard again, to see if a year or so packed in a shoe box had improved its shaving capabilities & I found that it had. If anything, it shaves as just as smoothly as the Hawk, but slightly closer.

This got me to thinking how other modern aluminium razors compare to the Standard. In particular, how does the Standard stack up against the ATT Calypso M1 & the Hone 15a? Has anyone used a Standard & one or both of the ATT & Hone models & if so, what were your experiences?

By the way, I already own all the Ikon Shavecraft “aluminium” heads, except the 101 & these don’t really have the element of lightness that I enjoy with the Hawk & the Standard (i.e. they are much heavier & strangely, they are also magnetic :001_unsur).

I have never used a Standard but have used the Hone 15 and Hone 15a as well as the ATT M1 and M1 Calypso. To me, the Hone is a beautiful razor but just didn’t agree with me. I tried the Hone Type 15 twice, because it is so beautiful, just to make sure and I still got rid of it. I also got rid of the Type 15a. The Hone Type 15 and 15a shaved ok but it kind of “skipped” across my face while shaving. I couldn’t get a close shave without multiple passes and the need to buff many times even while using new Feather blades.

The ATT M plate, although mild, is really efficient and smooth. In fact, once I got used to wetshaving, I ditched the M plate and now when I reach for my Calypso, I almost always use the H plate. I also own the Calypso R plate as well but it doesn’t get much love.

The Standard is a great razor.

Matte razors work better for me, especially if the razor is not aggressive. Highly polished razors tend to be sticky, and not to glide as smoothly across my skin. I get irritation when riding the cap with highly polished razors. So the more polished the razor, the more aggressive it needs to be for me. I am therefore more inclined toward the H1 and R1 SS plates than the M1.

The Standard, like the Rockwell, is not especially aggressive but they each give me a BBS, comfortable shave without any irritation and without the blood loss/irritation that a momentary lapse would cause with a more aggressive razor.

Top Bottom