What's new

Comparison of Electric vs Razor

um, well, to each his own, ymmv, et al, as i like electrics. that difference cannot be seen by the naked eye, and might be why the electric razor stubble feels a little softer as it grows back in.

Just playing the devil's advocate here, but this is a picture of 2 single hairs. Who's to say that the person who posted this didn't just find the best image of a hair cut with a blade and the worst image of a hair cut with an electric?

Great pic; you won't find me going back to electric razors.

There's no question that electrics are faster more convenient. I know electric razors vary quite a bit, but I've never fancied the inevitable 4:00 shadow. That said, wet shaving is cheaper, closer and more fun.

Why not have both?

Hair? heck that's how my skin felt with electrics...

It was like using a food processor as they would tug, cut, splice, rip.

I've yet to cut myself as bad with my DE to how mulched my face has been with electrics, let alone the blood lost with them.

And that's with coils, wheels, 2 wheels, 3 wheels, flexicoils, etc... I had a drawer full of them.. gave a bunch away once I was with DE.

Never looked back.

I just use a trimmer to shorten the beard (anchor) and shave around it.

I tried electrics briefly, the last one being probably 10 or 15 years ago. I just couldn't get the shave to last long enough through the day. I guess if it really mattered you could carry a portable battery model and touch up if you needed to. One guy I know uses them because he's horribly prone to ingrown hairs and I think they lesson that issue for him.

I like my Panasonic, and use it to touch up ares around my lip and mustache area. When I used it for a full shave, I wet shaved with it.

I have a pretty decent Panasonic electric that I keep around, just in case of emergencies (I much prefer wet shaving, of course).

I think it's fine for what it is, and don't grudge the money I spent on it. It does a good job on my face, and an acceptable job on my neck in about 2 minutes, with no discomfort or irritation. Strangely, I find that it feels like a BBS on my face for the first hour or so, but thereafter, the stubble grows back very quickly; more so than if I'd done a one or two pass wet shave (which would not leave me feeling BBS).

To be honest, if I hadn't got into DE shaving as a kind of hobby, I'd probably use the electric over carts/disposables and canned goop.

The almost 20 years that I shaved with an electric razor was such a waste of my time. My neck was always a problem as I would go over and over and still not getting a close shave. Also, if I went skipped a day or two, I knew that I would have my work cut out for me to get it mowed back down to size. I sometimes would use a disposable for this purpose.
I hated to use disposables as using the can goop foam would quickly clog the sink!

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. The 2-3 times I have tried electrics, I just felt like I had done a little beard erasing and no real shaving. I really do wonder how they sell those things.

That picture is fantastic.
I used to use electric razor in my younger days. But even if I bought one of good quality I never felt comfortable with it: face burns, hotness when shaving, difficult to maintain, expensive, heavy.

I discovered too late the wet shaving too late, and with the DE and shavettes more late. Ah, if only I listened to my daddy before.
:)

At one point I tried a couple of electric razors, was not impressed, got a cleaner smoother shave with a Buck Folding Hunter w/hand soap.

Just the audible sound of a double edge razor blade slicing through stubble is so addictive I don't see myself ever replacing that with the buzz of an electric motor, even if they were magically able to make electric's shave with comparable closeness.

I used electrics for 10 years before switching to DE and noticed better skin health and closer shaves after the switch. That being said, I would still choose electrics over carts or disposables. The Norelcos and Brauns I used gave me a DFS and cost me less over the long term.

I just look at the simple mechanics of it. With an electric shaver, there is always some sort of "screen" between the blade and what is being cut. No way can an electric shave as close as a blade . . . ever. For that reason, I'll stick with blades.

First a pic using an electric:
$Head shot.jpg
then a DE:
$Head shot 2.jpg

All I know is the results - electrics always left me with redness and irritation on my neck, DE razors, no trace of redness - seems like a pretty easy decision.

Electrics don't take the hair off my neck, but the rest of my face is fine. Takes a lot of effort to get a clean shave with one for me, far more than wet shaving. Interesting picture and also the comment on beard feeling soft due to the cut of the hair.

I used Braun 700 series electric for several years, and in the winter I could get a good shave with it. In the summer, not so much...plus, I had to shave every day. Even two days growth (like on the weekend) made for a very uncomfortable shave. I also tried a Norelco, but I didn't like it at all.

I prefer to shave with either a cartridge (an Atra gives me very good shaves) or a DE (I get better results with a mild razor) than an electric. An electric razor would do for a quick touch-up, but I gave away my Braun and I have no plans to buy another.

Top Bottom