What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

I need to update the spreadsheet on post 196:

In the meantime, my personal top rated mid-priced razors:

Blackland Dart (Discontinued)
Karve Brass SB-G
Fatip Lo Storto Originale (FOCS)
Mühle Rocca R95 V4
Ikon B1 Standard
Rex Envoy

The second tier mid-priced group:

Above The Tie Windsor Pro
Merkur Opgress
Pearl Flexi
RazoRock Lupo DLC (Discontinued)
RazoRock Lupo .95 SB
RazoRock GC84-P
RazoRock Wunderbar
Timeless Aluminum (Timeless Ti TRH6 Handle)

Not a bad razor in this group. The best choice depends on the personal preferences of each shaver.

YMMV :cool:
I currently have 3 of your top 6, along with a few other razors. I completely agree with you on the Rocca R95 V4 and the Blackland Dart, but I think I would place the Fatip LoSarto a small notch below the other two. I would put the Edwin Jagger in that top group instead. I really don't need any more razors, but I have to admit that the Ikon and Karve are very tempting.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I currently have 3 of your top 6, along with a few other razors. I completely agree with you on the Rocca R95 V4 and the Blackland Dart, but I think I would place the Fatip LoSarto a small notch below the other two. I would put the Edwin Jagger in that top group instead. I really don't need any more razors, but I have to admit that the Ikon and Karve are very tempting.

The EJ 3ONE6 is on my list to try - someday. :)

I give the FOCS extra "points" because it's so much darn fun to use, can easily be used as a daily driver, is reasonably efficient and really smooth which, per my personal "efficient + smooth = effective" formula, raised it to a par with the others. :cool:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The Ikon B1 Standard is one of my top rated mid-priced razors. In my opinion, the B1 Standard shaves well above its cost. Highly recommended! :thumbsup:
Are you trying to enable me into buying another razor I don’t need? 😜🤪😂 But seriously, would this razor bring anything to the table for me, given my current arsenal ?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Are you trying to enable me into buying another razor I don’t need? 😜🤪😂 But seriously, would this razor bring anything to the table for me, given my current arsenal ?

1626780903499.png

Just posting for a friend.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The EJ 3ONE6 is on my list to try - someday. :)

I give the FOCS extra "points" because it's so much darn fun to use, can easily be used as a daily driver, is reasonably efficient and really smooth which, per my personal "efficient + smooth = effective" formula, raised it to a par with the others. :cool:

If you like the Rocca you will most likely enjoy the 3one6. I find them to shave very similarly, with the 3one6 shaving ever so slightly closer.....I also pair it with the Rocca handle as I like the weight and diameter..super comfortable and great combo.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
If you like the Rocca you will most likely enjoy the 3one6. I find them to shave very similarly, with the 3one6 shaving ever so slightly closer.....I also pair it with the Rocca handle as I like the weight and diameter..super comfortable and great combo.
I had a lovely 3one6 and really enjoyed it. I ordered a Rocca when they were first released, but that order was cancelled when they started having production issues and massive delays. When they finally stabilized the Rocca issues, I read on many reviews the same sentiment where it was comparable to the 3one6, but just a hair less efficient. So I never bothered to get a Rocca. Recently, my Wolfman and Charcoal Goods obsessions had relegated the 3one6 to the BST. But I still consider it a great razor and would recommend it wholeheartedly.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Interesting question. ;)

If you are interested in shaving with a razor that, from a design perspective, resembles a Post-War Tech but, from an efficiency perspective, is closer to an Ikon TEK, the Ikon B1 Standard might pique your curiosity - as it did mine. ;)

The B1 Standard does not shave better than the razors in my "Big Dogs" rotation (Vector, Sabre, Blackbirds, Wolfman WR2, Charcoal Goods Brass, Timeless, Karve Brass SB-G, Gillette Hybrid Tech, Personna "BBS-0"). It does, however, currently reside near the top of my "Runs With The Big Dogs" rotation.

It's a fun, but exacting, razor. I believe that you would enjoy shaving with the B1 Standard, but I don't think it will usurp your Wolfman and CG razors. :)

The B1 Standard (like the Dart when it was still available) gives you a real taste of high end razors but for under $100 instead of hundreds of dollars.

Hope this makes sense.

Just my opinion. :cool:

I agree (and believe that I wrote in another post) that the Rocca and 3one6 are quite similar in performance, but I find that the Rocca is the one that gives me a slightly closer shave.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210720_095013~2.jpg

Razor: Karve Brass SB-G (Widebody Cap)
Blade: Feather (3 and retired)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Invasion Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

Used my preferred steep angle. The Karve Brass SB-G is highly efficient, smooth and very effective! It is the most reasonably priced razor in my "Big Dogs" rotation and shaves well above its cost. Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

Excellent shave! :cool:

View attachment 1299628
Razor: Karve Brass SB-G (Widebody Cap)
Blade: Feather (3 and retired)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Invasion Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

Used my preferred steep angle. The Karve Brass SB-G is highly efficient, smooth and very effective! It is the most reasonably priced razor in my "Big Dogs" rotation and shaves well above its cost. Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

Excellent shave! :cool:
Please tell me why the SB-G plate has it over the SB-F plate. I am perfecting my technique (trying to do some steep shaving and getting various levels of success) with my SB-F plate, but would buy the SB-G plate if it gave a significant edge (see what I did there?) over the F plate.

Inquiring mind wants to know.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Please tell me why the SB-G plate has it over the SB-F plate. I am perfecting my technique (trying to do some steep shaving and getting various levels of success) with my SB-F plate, but would buy the SB-G plate if it gave a significant edge (see what I did there?) over the F plate.

Inquiring mind wants to know.
On paper there is not a huge difference between the SB-F and the SB-G:
  • F - gap = 1.23mm / exposure = positive 0.22mm
  • G - gap = 1.36mm / exposure = positive 0.25mm (not available in OC)
In practice, the SB-G feels, on my face, skin, beard, etc., more efficient and smoother which, per efficient + smooth = effective, makes the SB-G a more effective choice.

For me, at least. :cool:

On paper there is not a huge difference between the SB-F and the SB-G:
  • F - gap = 1.23mm / exposure = positive 0.22mm
  • G - gap = 1.36mm / exposure = positive 0.25mm (not available in OC)
In practice, the SB-G feels, on my face, skin, beard, etc., more efficient and smoother which, per efficient + smooth = effective, makes the SB-G a more effective choice.

For me, at least. :cool:
Thank you David for the recommendation!! I was contemplating on getting the F or G in stainless. After reading I went straight for the G :punk: plate. On its way from Canada. I already find E plate perfect for daily shaving.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you David for the recommendation!! I was contemplating on getting the F or G in stainless. After reading I went straight for the G :punk: plate. On its way from Canada. I already find E plate perfect for daily shaving.

You are most welcome. :)

I look forward to your impressions of the SB-G. :cool:

Great thread. Lots of quality reading material here. Do you happen to own an Ambassador as well? Your thoughts on it if you do?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210722_145910_2.jpg

Razor: Mühle Rocca R95 V4
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle (TNS 24mm Original BOSS)
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

I have something to confess: The Mühle Rocca was included in my mid-priced DE razors comparison almost as an afterthought. How good could it be? Well.....Pretty darn good. Each shave seems to be better than the last. The R95 V4 is so smooth that it is "deceptively efficient" which - per my personal "efficient + smooth = effective" formula - makes the R95 V4 a very effective DE. As of right now, solidly in the "Runs With The Big Dogs" rotation and edging upward. Good enough to be a daily driver. An excellent razor and an excellent value! :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

Top Bottom