What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210715_092022~2.jpg

Razor: Merkur Opgress (Set on 3)
Blade: Silver Star (1)
Brush: Shavemac Butterscotch Beagle (Shavemac 22x46 2-band Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Barrister and Mann Barrister's Reserve Lavender
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Fine Lavender
Fragrance: Ach Brito Lavender Eau de Cologne

Very cool upgrade to the Progress - I like it! The shave was very effective using a setting of ~3 with no blood or irritation. The Opgress feels really nice in my hand and on my face - maybe it's because the Progress was my only razor from 2013 until I joined B&B. Excellent razor! :thumbup:

Every component of this kit performed synergistically and wonderfully! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (5 and retired)
Brush: Omega EVO
Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
20210716_140742~2.jpg

The FOCS rocks! 🦊 :punk: :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Saturday 20210717
20210717_124336~2.jpg

Razor: Yates 921-EH (Bead Blast Finish) (RazoRock Ti Halo Handle)
Blade: Silver Star (2)
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot)
Fragrance: Original Penguin Reserve EdT Spray

The challenge I have had with the Yates 921 series Stonewashed head is that it doesn't glide as smoothly on my face as my preferred razors. It feels like the razor "drags". To see if the "drag" is due to the Stonewashed finish, I got a new EH plate and a new top cap, both in the Bead Blast finish.

Loaded up a Silver Star blade, built a wonderful lather with the Musgo Real Classic using the Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot) and the Captain's Choice Copper Bowl and proceeded to shave.

The Shave: On my face, skin and beard, there is less perceived drag (to me) using the Bead Blast head vs. the Stonewashed head. The Bead Blast EH head is efficient and produces good results. Next shave will be with a Feather. :)

Very good shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
With over 300 posts i was wondering if you've stated your favorite or top 3 or 5 in this range

Fayiz D.

I need to update the spreadsheet on post 196:

In the meantime, my personal top rated mid-priced razors:

Blackland Dart (Discontinued)
Karve Brass SB-G
Fatip Lo Storto Originale (FOCS)
Mühle Rocca R95 V4
Ikon B1 Standard
Rex Envoy

The second tier mid-priced group:

Above The Tie Windsor Pro
Merkur Opgress
Pearl Flexi
RazoRock Lupo DLC (Discontinued)
RazoRock Lupo .95 SB
RazoRock GC84-P
RazoRock Wunderbar
Timeless Aluminum (Timeless Ti TRH6 Handle)

Not a bad razor in this group. The best choice depends on the personal preferences of each shaver.

YMMV :cool:

I need to update the spreadsheet on post 196:

In the meantime, my personal top rated mid-priced razors:

Blackland Dart (Discontinued)
Karve Brass SB-G
Fatip Lo Storto Originale (FOCS)
Mühle Rocca R95 V4
Ikon B1 Standard
Rex Envoy

The second tier mid-priced group:

Above The Tie Windsor Pro
Merkur Opgress
Pearl Flexi
RazoRock Lupo DLC (Discontinued)
RazoRock Lupo .95 SB
RazoRock GC84-P
RazoRock Wunderbar
Timeless Aluminum (Timeless Ti TRH6 Handle)

Not a bad razor in this group. The best choice depends on the personal preferences of each shaver.

YMMV :cool:
Thanks. I had a dart and sold it but might buy another to retry it

Fayiz D.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210718_154208~2.jpg

Razor: Yates 921-EH (Bead Blast Finish) (RazoRock Ti Halo Handle)
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: AP Shave Co Elegant Emerald (24mm Synbad Knot)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

Sunday shave with the Yates 921-EH Bead Blast head paired with a Feather blade. The Feather brings out the best in the 921-EH Bead Blast. Kicks up the efficiency while still maintaining a fairly smooth face feel. Took an extra (4th) pass to see how close The 921-EH / Feather combination would go and got at least a DFS++ (BBS over most of my face and neck), albeit at the expense of one small nick (resolved with cold water and alum) and some irritation. Please note: The results would have been fine (DFS with no nick and no irritation) after my standard 3-passes plus touch-ups so I don't blame the razor for my need to push the boundaries for SCIENCE.

Does the 921-EH break into the top tier of my mid-priced razors? Not quite, but the 921-EH Bead Blast, using a Feather blade, is a reasonably effective razor that is capable of producing very good results. :thumbsup:

Very good shave! :cool:

How would you compare to the H plate
For me, both H and HE feel comfortable and non-menacing. Using the HE I feel the blade a little more and notice the gap, but no irritation. More time passes before I feel stubble begin to grow when using HE.

For me, both H and HE feel comfortable and non-menacing. Using the HE I feel the blade a little more and notice the gap, but no irritation. More time passes before I feel stubble begin to grow when using HE.
I meant more about the difference in effectiveness, whether it is large or small, I use an H plate with KAI blades, is the shaving effect similar to the EH with a standard blade.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Is this effect big? there is no significant difference?

Please define what you mean by "big" and "significant"?

To me, the EH plate is the best plate Yates makes for my face, skin and beard. It is an incremental step up in efficiency and effectiveness over the H. Not night and day, but enough to be worthwhile.

Hope this helps.

Please define what you mean by "big" and "significant"?

To me, the EH plate is the best plate Yates makes for my face, skin and beard. It is an incremental step up in efficiency and effectiveness over the H. Not night and day, but enough to be worthwhile.

Hope this helps.
Maybe I'll write simpler and different ..

What would you choose YP EH or iKon B1 Standard ..
Which is more effective for you

I meant more about the difference in effectiveness, whether it is large or small, I use an H plate with KAI blades, is the shaving effect similar to the EH with a standard blade.
@never-stop-learning stated it perfectly: "an incremental step up in efficiency and effectiveness over the H. Not night and day, but enough to be worthwhile." To compare to Stirling ST and HA, there is an enormous difference in gap and feel; Stirling HA to me feels dangerous, and it has cut me. The Yates H to HE has a much more consistent feel, and the HE is not menacing or "bitey" feeling to me. Post-shave felt the same for me, with HE shave providing longer time before stubble could be felt.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I'll write simpler and different ..

What would you choose YP EH or iKon B1 Standard ..
Which is more effective for you

Ikon B1 Standard. No question. The B1 Standard is more efficient, smoother, more effective plus more nimble and more maneuverable. :cool:

But that's on my face, skin and beard with my technique and my bias toward razors that are nimble and maneuverable.

YMMV. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of the Ikon B1 Standard..... :cool:

shave 20210719_153449_2.jpg

Razor: Ikon B1 Standard (TiBam Ti 'Antique' Handle)
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Turn-N-Shave 25mm Quartermoon Fan
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado

Loaded the Ikon B1 Standard with a Feather blade (on shave number 2). The Ikon B1 Standard is one of my favorite mid-priced razors. Today's shave reinforces my high opinion of this razor. Used with my preferred steep angle, the B1 Standard is highly efficient and wonderfully smooth, which translates into a very effective razor and a really nice shave!

The Ikon B1 Standard is one of my top rated mid-priced razors. In my opinion, the B1 Standard shaves well above its cost. Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

Excellent shave! :cool:

Top Bottom