What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This describes me with the exception that I can get a bbs on my face with just about any razor. But my jaw line down through my neck has a few spots that swirl and lay flat. So that is quite a challenge to get a bbs. It takes a lot of work to get my neck smooth in spots. It happens, but it’s rare. I too get a DFS or better on most shaves without much fuss. And we like the same razors and shaving angle. 😎

A kindred shaving spirit indeed. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210712_171628~2.jpg

Razor: Yates 921-EH (RazoRock Ti Halo Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (4)
Brush: Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

Steep angle. Good balance with the Ti Halo handle and the Yates head - better, to me, than the mega-heavy Yates handle. The EH plate is a bit, but not a lot, more efficient than the H plate. Got the EH plate in the Bead Blast finish (I still don't care for the Stonewashed finish). The Bead Blast finish plate feels better on my face so I may get a Bead Blast finish cap to see if it improves the overall face feel.

I will withhold my final comments until I get a Bead Blast cap and I also want to try a Feather blade in the EH.

Good shave. :cool:

Last edited:
I have not tried a Kai blade in the H plate, yet - but it's definitely on my list for both the H and EH. As is a Bead Blast cap, of course. ;)
I would be very grateful if you try the KAI combination with the H plate and tell me if it works like the EH plate with a standard blade. Thanks

My beard is old, gray, wiry and grows in lots of swirls and chaotic directions. To give you an idea: the areas between the corners of my mouth and my jawline would take five passes (N>S, S>N, XTG and diagonal passes from the corner of my mouth to my chin and then back from my chin up to the corner of my mouth) to get DFS++/BBS. I have similar areas on my neck and along my jawline.

So.....I do not chase BBS. Three passes plus touch-ups and the result is what it is. I don't do a lot of buffing.

Do I get shaves that are BBS? Yes, absolutely. Do I ever get shaves that are less than DFS? Rarely, if ever. So my results are pretty much always between DFS and BBS with the majority in the DFS+ range - which is good enough for me. :)

My favorite razors combine the characteristics of highly efficient and very smooth - what I call highly effective.

I prefer a steep angle, when the razor allows it.

Hope this answers your questions. :)

Thank you. I personally can't get anywhere near a BBS with just three passes. And for me "touch-ups" = buffing, after my third pass. A steep angle doesn't help me with the BBS, so I'm really curious to know how the heck it's possible for you 😂

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you. I personally can't get anywhere near a BBS with just three passes. And for me "touch-ups" = buffing, after my third pass. A steep angle doesn't help me with the BBS, so I'm really curious to know how the heck it's possible for you 😂

I know my face, my skin and my beard, use really effective razors that are nimble and maneuverable and match them up with top tier blades that I change out after a very few shaves. :)

Who knows, maybe my "fair to middlin' technique" contributes in some small way. ;)

As I stated, the vast majority of my shaves end up somewhere in the DFS+ range, which is good enough for me. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
A bit under the $75 boundary cost, but what the heck..... ;)

shave 20210713_114748_2.jpg

Razor: WSC/YPM Winning Razor
Blade: Personna Med Prep (5 and retired)
Brush: Edwin Jagger Imitation Horn (25mm Synthetic Silver Tip)
Lather: A&E Kaizen
Aftershave: A&E Kaizen
Fragrance: Belcam Clash EdT Spray
razor-blade 20210713_114906_2.jpg

Interesting razor. The head reminds me, to some degree, of the Henson. Minimal blade exposure and feel. I would peg The Winning Razor as medium efficient. The head is larger than I normally like. The cap and plate lead you to use a fairly neutral angle (which I, of course, extended to as steep as I could take it and still whack my whiskers ;)). Also had issues with balance and feel using the stock handle and changed over to the RazoRock Ti Halo - much better for me. No issues at all with the lather holes clogging. Finished my standard 3-pass + touch-ups shave without any blood, minimal irritation and with a very nice shave. :thumbup:

Decided to use the Winning Razor again tomorrow with the RR Ti Halo handle and a Kai blade. :)

Full shave notes here:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210714_125558~2.jpg

Razor: WSC/YPM Winning Razor (RazoRock Ti Halo Handle)
Blade: Kai (1)
Brush: PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid Synthetic
Lather: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Proraso Red
Fragrance: Cuba Royal EdT Spray

Loaded up a fresh Kai in the Winning Razor for today's shave. Used the RazoRock Ti Halo handle to get a more preferable (for me) balance.

Went with the neutral angle that the head more or less dictates. I also feel the "vacuum" effect (which almost feels a bit like "drag" to me?).

The results? Good shave. Needed some touchups around my usual "problem" areas. No blood. Pretty much irritation free. No complaints about the results. :)

Why am I not more excited about the Winning Razor? I think it has to do with the head design, the lack of blade exposure and the bulk/weight of the head and handle. Using the RazoRock Ti Halo handle definitely improved, for me, the weight and balance.

As I said yesterday, the WSC/YPM Winning Razor is an interesting razor. Very reasonably priced, it provides good results and I'm sure that many DE shavers will like it a lot. For some reason, though, it hasn't "rung the bell" for me - at least so far.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :cool:

View attachment 1296814

Loaded up a fresh Kai in the Winning Razor for today's shave. Used the RazoRock Ti Halo handle to get a more preferable (for me) balance.

Went with the neutral angle that the head more or less dictates. I also feel the "vacuum" effect (which almost feels a bit like "drag" to me?).

The results? Good shave. Needed some touchups around my usual "problem" areas. No blood. Pretty much irritation free. No complaints about the results. :)

Why am I not more excited about the Winning Razor? I think it has to do with the head design, the lack of blade exposure and the bulk/weight of the head and handle. Using the RazoRock Ti Halo handle definitely improved, for me, the weight and balance.

As I said yesterday, the WSC/YPM Winning Razor is an interesting razor. Very reasonably priced, it provides good results and I'm sure that many DE shavers will like it a lot. For some reason, though, it hasn't "rung the bell" for me - at least so far.

I feel the same way. Decided to return my razor as I knew it wouldn't get much use.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Would you say it shaves similar to the Henson?
Not even close......Henson for me is a much better razor. I use the Ti22 and it's much more maneuverable and easier to shave with in comparison. Results are also better with the Henson. The Winning Razor is much bulkier, though we'll made. I just couldn't get comfortable with it.
In that case you just saved me $100 Canadian, thanks!

I have not shaved with the Henson Ti22.

The Winning Razor and the Henson Al13 have very similarly designed and shaped heads. To me, there is a similar feel with both razors. The Henson is much lighter and slightly less bulky but both heads feel like they exhibit more "drag" on my face than I am used to feeling with my preferred razors. The data I have, to date, indicates that I may not care for razors with this particular head design. Others may find them to be excellent. That's what makes the razor world go 'round. :)

View attachment 1296814

Just curious, did you feel any increase in efficiency when switching to the Kai blade after using the Personna?

I have not shaved with the Henson Ti22.

The Winning Razor and the Henson Al13 have very similarly designed and shaped heads. To me, there is a similar feel with both razors. The Henson is much lighter and slightly less bulky but both heads feel like they exhibit more "drag" on my face than I am used to feeling with my preferred razors. The data I have, to date, indicates that I may not care for razors with this particular head design. Others may find them to be excellent. That's what makes the razor world go 'round. :)

I have the AL13. Being relatively new to this hobby, it was my first DE. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed using it -- it's a great razor for transitioning from carts. Hence my curiosity as to how it compares to the Winning.

Top Bottom