What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you very much you never-stop-learning. Yes it helps a lot. I'll go with the dart of blackland. Thank you all also for your comments. Greetings

Please do report back when you shave with the Dart. :)

Also, when you are ready to purchase another razor (after the Dart), please do check out the Fatip Lo Storto Originale that @Chan Eil Whiskers recommended. Excellent razor. Excellent value. Gives you an Open Comb Slant option in your Den. I use mine pretty much every week. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Friday 20210326
The Hardware:
20210327_060248~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (Joris Palladium and Yew Wood Handle)
Blade: Bolzano (4)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Venom Handle (TNS 26mm Timberwolf Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

The Software:
20210327_060400~2.jpg

Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Moisturiser: Nivea Post Shave Balm + Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado

The Fatip Lo Storto Originale is a most impressive razor - especially considering the price. :cool:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have been going through razors I haven’t used in a long time. I will be doing a BST sell off soon, and want to be sure I am giving all candidates for the block a fair last test. Today’s victim was the Mergress XL. This current cost of this razor is $132, which is a wee hair above the $125 limit, but (a) I paid less for mine, and (b) it is based in the Progress which is well under the limit, approaching the bottom of the stated price range. I must say that today’s shave was terrific. 9.5 out of 10. Started on level 3. Went to 4. Then 5. Standard 3 pass shave with some vigorous buffing after the last pass. No irritation. A little sting from the splash, but not as much as I was expecting. A very strong DFS+ / near BBS result. I started with a standard long handle Progress before I got to the Mergress. Passed the Progress along to a friend. It is fair to say that the Mergress has better feel and balance, but I think one can achieve just about the same results with a standard Progress. It’s a great razor. I don’t know why it’s been so long since I last used it. So,this one is staying in the den... for now. Why did I post this here? Well... why not! The Progress is a great razor within the indicated price range.

953AB92A-A3B3-4C55-87F1-9415DB200E1D.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have been going through razors I haven’t used in a long time. I will be doing a BST sell off soon, and want to be sure I am giving all candidates for the block a fair last test. Today’s victim was the Mergress XL. This current cost of this razor is $132, which is a wee hair above the $125 limit, but (a) I paid less for mine, and (b) it is based in the Progress which is well under the limit, approaching the bottom of the stated price range. I must say that today’s shave was terrific. 9.5 out of 10. Started on level 3. Went to 4. Then 5. Standard 3 pass shave with some vigorous buffing after the last pass. No irritation. A little sting from the splash, but not as much as I was expecting. A very strong DFS+ / near BBS result. I started with a standard long handle Progress before I got to the Mergress. Passed the Progress along to a friend. It is fair to say that the Mergress has better feel and balance, but I think one can achieve just about the same results with a standard Progress. It’s a great razor. I don’t know why it’s been so long since I last used it. So,this one is staying in the den... for now. Why did I post this here? Well... why not! The Progress is a great razor within the indicated price range.

View attachment 1243518

Thank you for an excellent addition to this comparison!

My Bride bought my Progress for me in 2013. It was my only razor from 2013 to 2019. It is one razor I'll always keep. :)

Hi, have you tried the lupo DC (dual comb) and how similar is it to the Ikon dual comb? How would you rank this Lupo among the other two (.72 and .95) in efficiency and smoothness? It is that in the forums almost nobody talks about this Lupo.

I wanted to report back on my first shave with the Lupo Dual comb since it seemed relevant to this thread. I can't compare it to all that many other razors, but I did have a nice shave with it tonight. I used a brand new GSB blade.

1st pass with the .95 side, 2nd pass with the .72 side, and clean-up with the .95 side. Why that order? I have no idea, it's just what came to mind. I may try reversed next time. As advertised, the .72 side is less aggressive than the .95 and very smooth. It doesn't feel like an open comb. So far, I like it .72 side better than a Game Changer .68P. It's more efficient and very smooth. Owning the 68p feels a little redundant right now. I have the .68 OC plate but have not used it, so I can't compare it to the .72 OC side (yet). The .95 side is a go-getter. It went right at a week's worth of growth with no problem and I have a thick beard. Both the sides of the Lupo have a little blade feel, but it's not scary. There is just enough to let you know what's going on. As I get better, I'm learning I like a little blade feel in my razors. I'm relatively new to wet shaving with a DE and the .95 side is not a crazy aggressive razor. The Lupo Dual comb is a versatile razor for sure. It is currently my 2nd favorite razor just slightly behind my Timeless SS .95 OC. It will make an excellent travel razor so I can leave the Timeless at home. Considering how much the Lupo costs compared to my Timeless, it's really an amazing razor.

I better pick up a Blackland Blackbird so I can compare it to my Lupo! :cool:

Jim,

As the saying goes, wet shaving is a hobby for us. I'm sure the affordable and easily-available Fattip open-combe slant a photo of which you had posted a few days ago might very well be an effective razor for my particular needs.

To your point, posts and reviews serve as "enablers". I did not plan on acquiring a Lupo after settling with Blackbird Ti. But so many ravings about the new Lupo pushed me to get one. I could not longer resist. I'll probably end up selling it if the Ti Bird gives me what I am after in a razor. A few members are such enablers here!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 124 for 124 = 100%
20210504_142934~2.jpg

Razor: Pearl Flexi v2
Blade: Personna Med Prep (1)
Brush: Frickwerkz handle (PAA 26mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot)
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Epsilon Mediterranean Blue
Fragrance: Belcam Blue Depths EdT Spray

This is my second shave with the Pearl Flexi v2. To reiterate, I do not have a Gibbs nor a Rex Ambassador for comparison.

Loaded up a new Personna Med Prep and used a setting of 4. This combination is much closer to the Rex Envoy in efficiency and effectiveness.

Experimented with angle but still ended up between steep and neutral. Tried shallow on my touch-ups which seemed to work. Very smooth shave. Mid efficiency. No irritation. Nice result.

As I stated after my first shave: For less than $100, the Pearl Flexi v2 deserves consideration from shavers who prefer an adjustable razor.

The ongoing question remains, how does the Pearl Flexi v2 stack up with my favorites in the $75 - $125 price range? My initial impressions and comments have not changed: "My personal bias is for razors that are nimble and maneuverable. The Flexi v2 is a bit bulky compared with razors like the Blackland Dart, Fatip Lo Storto Originale, Ikon B1 Standard and Karve Brass."

Bottom line? The Pearl Flexi v2 is bulkier than I prefer. Doesn't mean that it's a bad razor - on the contrary, the results are quite good. If you prefer an adjustable razor and are comfortable with the feel of a bulkier razor, you should consider taking a Flexi v2 for a spin.

For me, I like the Pearl Flexi v2 for what it is and will work it into my wider, occasional rotation as a change of pace.

As always, YMMV. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you, my friend. :)

I am quite curious how the final ranking of the high efficiency razors (RazoRock Lupo Stainless 0.95, Ikon B1 Standard, Yates 921-H, Blackland Razors Dart) will turn out. :)

Guess I could put the SB-F plate on the Karve and add it to the high efficiency group.

Based on my first shave with the Karve this morning, using the F OC baseplate I'd say you're right.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210508_175639~2.jpg

Razor: Ikon B1 Standard (TiBam "Antique" Handle)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (5 and retired)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Venom Handle (TNS 26mm Timberwolf Fan)
Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Aftershave: Reuzel
Fragrance: Preferred Stock

Love the Ikon B1 Standard. Awesome high efficiency razor! :thumbup:

Excellent shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Monday 20210510
20210510_161307~2.jpg

Razor: Karve Brass OC-F
Blade: Personna Med Prep (3)
Brush: Opal 100 (24mm Best Badger)
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Badger Blends Aproxo

The Karve Brass OC-F is highly efficient and very effective. A great 3-pass (plus touch-ups) shave - no blood or irritation. I look forward to comparing the OC-F to the new SB-G plate that is in route to my Den. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday 20210511
20210511_201946~2.jpg

Razor: Karve Brass SB-G
Blade: Personna Med Prep (4)
Brush: Rudy Vey "The Favorite"
(Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Badger Blend Aproxo
Fragrance: Cuba Royal EdT Spray

Comparing the Karve Brass SB-G to the OC-F:
20210511_202135~2.jpg

The SB-G is a bit more efficient and a bit smoother than the OC-F - enough so that it may well move the Karve Brass up to Big Dog status. I want to get more shaves in with the SB-G plate before I offer additional comments. Definitely shows promise. :thumbup:

Outstanding shave! :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210512_184433~2.jpg

Razor: Karve Brass SB-G (Widebody Cap)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (5 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: La Rive Hitfire Man

Shave #2 with the Karve Brass SB-G. The SB-G does a whole bunch of stuff right. Smooth, efficient and very effective - it glides through my whiskers and is kind to my face. Next blade I try in the SB-G will be a Feather. :cool:
20210512_184609~2.jpg

Suffice to say the Karve Brass SB-G has been moved up to Big Dog status. :thumbup:

Outstanding shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Karve Brass SB-G (Widebody Cap)
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Lowborn Supply Jaded Rose (Maggard 24mm SHD Fan)
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado
20210513_093428~2.jpg

Shave #3 with the Karve Brass SB-G. Loaded a brand new Feather blade, lathered up and was treated to another superb shave. The SB-G and the Feather work together rather well.

The notes from my first two SB-G shaves stand: Smooth, efficient and very effective - it glides through my whiskers and is kind to my face. :cool:

The Karve Brass SB-G has cemented its place in the Big Dog Rotation. :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Fatip Friday
20210514_142445~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (Joris Palladium and Yew Wood Handle)
Blade: Bolzano (2)
Brush: Omega EVO
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

The FOCS Rocks! 🦊 :punk:

Excellent shave! :cool:

Top Bottom