What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

Shave 20210110
View attachment 1206857
Razor: Yates 921-M
Blade: Silver Star (1)
Brush: H. L. Thater 4292/5 25mm Finest 2-Band Silvertip
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: TFS Rasozero Agrumella
Aftershave: TFS Rasozero Agrumella
Fragrance: Enforce Homme Eau de Cologne Spray (ParfumsBelcam version of Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce)

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The 921-M is a very nice mild-side-of-medium razor. The shaving angle is intuitive. The shave is smooth and irritation free. The 921-M would make, in my opinion, an excellent daily driver. Recommended for shavers who want a milder razor to use every day. :thumbsup:

Very nice shave! :cool:
What??? Is that a razor with the original handle in your collection? You must have run out of handles. Nice razor. I don’t know much about the Yates but I never hear anything bad about them.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
you should add an .84 JAWS to that list. Significantly better than the SB IMO.

The JAWS is certainly a very good razor. I have the .84-P, .84-OC, .84-JAWS and .68-P plates. The JAWS is more efficient but, in my opinion, not as smooth or comfortable as the .84-P. The GC84-P is the Game Changer I keep handy in my extended rotation.

The higher efficiency razors in this price range that I use are the Blackland Dart, Ikon B1 Standard, Yates 921-H and (between medium and high efficiency) the Karve SB-D and Rex Envoy.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
What??? Is that a razor with the original handle in your collection? You must have run out of handles. Nice razor. I don’t know much about the Yates but I never hear anything bad about them.

Got the email notification from Yates telling me that the stainless handles were in stock so I went for it.

The Yates bottom plate has a 'channel' that won't accept many handles. The CG and some RR handles work. The Yates handle balances nicely and matches the stone washed appearance of the head. :)

Got the email notification from Yates telling me that the stainless handles were in stock so I went for it.

The Yates bottom plate has a 'channel' that won't accept many handles. The CG and some RR handles work. The Yates handle balances nicely and matches the stone washed appearance of the head. :)
I also like the Yates. I might be tempted to buy a copper handle but have never seen them in stock.

Eben Stone

Staff member
The Ikon B1 Standard is right up there with the Muhle R41 Twist on the efficiency scale. No daydreaming allowed. With the proper technique, I got a very close, efficient and effective shave. The B1 Standard is not, in my opinion, what I would think of as a 'daily driver' for most shavers. It is very well made and the results are excellent. Recommended for those who like a very efficient razor.

How's the blade alignment in the B1 standard? Any problems?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20210111
image.jpg

Razor: Ikon B1 Standard (TiBam 'Antique' Ti Handle)
Blade: Silver Star (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Lime Swirl (Shavemac D01 2-Band Badger)
Lather: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: RazoRock The Stallion

The Ikon B1 Standard is an excellent shaving instrument. The low profile head is nimble and maneuverable - easy to navigate around all of my problem areas. The B1 Standard remains in my rotation. Highly Recommended if you are looking for a very high efficiency razor. :thumbup:

Excellent shave! :cool:

The JAWS is certainly a very good razor. I have the .84-P, .84-OC, .84-JAWS and .68-P plates. The JAWS is more efficient but, in my opinion, not as smooth or comfortable as the .84-P. The GC84-P is the Game Changer I keep handy in my extended rotation.

The higher efficiency razors in this price range that I use are the Blackland Dart, Ikon B1 Standard, Yates 921-H and (between medium and high efficiency) the Karve SB-D and Rex Envoy.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)
my experience was similar to the Dart in that riding the cap made a difference when i came to how smooth/harsh the razor was.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
my experience was similar to the Dart in that riding the cap made a difference when i came to how smooth/harsh the razor was.

Most razors have that 'sweet spot' where everything is optimized. Some are more flexible and have a wider available window.

I go steep, if at all possible. If a particular razor demands it, I can use a neutral or shallow angle.

YMMV :)

I am quite curious how the final ranking of the high efficiency razors (RazoRock Lupo Stainless 0.95, Ikon B1 Standard, Yates 921-H, Blackland Razors Dart) will turn out.

Wondering the same thing myself. Watching this thread.

Have you maybe tried the Wunderbar? Would be great to hear the comparison between it and the four you mentioned.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Last nights shave:

Shave 20210112
shave 20210112_195207_2.jpg

Razor: ATT Windsor Pro
Blade: Silver Star (3)
Brush: Heritage Ever-Ready 200 (Maggard 22mm SHD 2-Band Badger)
Lather: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: RazoRock Tuscan Oud

Four passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Efficiency is between mild and medium, but still effective. Very comfortable. Took an extra pass but did so without irritation. Recommended for those who like a milder, but still effective, razor. :thumbsup:

Nice shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Wondering the same thing myself. Watching this thread.

Have you maybe tried the Wunderbar? Would be great to hear the comparison between it and the four you mentioned.

Responded on the Lupo 0.95 thread. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210114_203530~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Lupo 0.72-SB
Blade: Silver Star (4)
Brush: Opal 100 (24mm Best Badger)
Lather: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

Used the handle from the Lupo DLC to maintain a similar balance. The Lupo Stainless 0.72-SB and the Lupo DLC are very similar. Both provide a smooth, and efficient, shave. Not aggressive at all. Definitely in the Daily Driver group. Recommended! :thumbup:

I like the Lupo 0.72-SB and eagerly anticipate tackling the 0.95-SB. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Clubman Friday
shave 20210115_143011_2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock GC84-SB
Blade: Silver Star (5)
Brush: Simpson "The Duke" 2 in Best
Post-shave: Clubman Osage Rub
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado

So.....just when I'm thinking that the GC84-SB will be giving up its place in my 'Frequent' rotation, it delivers a wonderful, drama free, efficient, smooth shave. The 'old timer' really delivered today.

Better than the Lupo 0.72-SB? No, but pretty darn close to each other. Efficiency is close. The Lupo 0.72 may be a touch smoother. Neither razor, in my opinion, is aggressive. The GC84-SB may ultimately give way to the Lupo 0.72-SB due to the Lupo's small edge in smoothness, but it is close.

And then we have the Lupo 0.95-SB on deck for tomorrow. :)

As an aside, I am using the Lupo DLC handle for this round with the RazoRock Lupos and GC84-SB. May throw the BBS in there for good measure.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210116_212109~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Lupo 0.95-SB
Blade: Silver Star (6 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Brut Classic

Initial impression: I like the Lupo 0.95-SB. Definitely the most efficient of the three (0.95, 0.72, DLC) Lupo razors in my Den. Also more efficient than the GC84-SB. More blade feel. A bit more aggressive, but still very smooth.

Keeping it on deck for Sunday - this time with a fresh Feather. 😎

Will post more in depth comments after that shave.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
View attachment 1209646
Razor: RazoRock Lupo 0.95-SB
Blade: Silver Star (6 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Aftershave: Brut Classic

Initial impression: I like the Lupo 0.95-SB. Definitely the most efficient of the three (0.95, 0.72, DLC) Lupo razors in my Den. Also more efficient than the GC84-SB. More blade feel. A bit more aggressive, but still very smooth.

Keeping it on deck for Sunday - this time with a fresh Feather. 😎

Will post more in depth comments after that shave.

You can be a real tease sometimes, David.:pipe:

Top Bottom