What's new

Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)

This handle arrives Wednesday
3335FEF6-EAFE-4758-B9F4-363E5E5DF998.png

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210105.jpg

Razor: Yates Mixed 921-HYB (Stonewashed Stainless Cap, Brass Baseplate, Charcoal Goods Brass Hammered Handle)
Blade: Silver Star (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey White Zebra Stripe (Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Post-shave: Clubman Osage Rub
Aftershave/Fragrance: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum Aftershave-Cologne

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Yates Model 921-HYB Brass Base + Model 921 Stainless Cap is not as efficient as the 921-H but still provides close, smooth and very comfortable results. The 921-HYB could be a great daily driver. Recommended!

Excellent shave. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Will be particularly interested in your thoughts on the .95. We seem to enjoy similar razors. I’ve been curious about this one for a while. Thank you for your time trying all of these razors & writing your impressions.

Thank you, my friend. :)

I am quite curious how the final ranking of the high efficiency razors (RazoRock Lupo Stainless 0.95, Ikon B1 Standard, Yates 921-H, Blackland Razors Dart) will turn out. :)

Guess I could put the SB-F plate on the Karve and add it to the high efficiency group.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210106_113606~2.jpg

Razor: Karve Brass SB-D (Widebody Brass cap)
Blade: Silver Star (3)
Brush: Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

The Karve Brass SB-D takes the efficiency up a half notch over the OC-C. The Widebody Cap covers the blade tabs and allows easier touch-ups around my nose and earlobes. As with the OC-C, the SB-D also provides me with wonderful, consistent and effective shaves. A wonderful razor that is, in my opinion, Highly Recommended! :thumbup:

Great shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20210108
20210108_113150~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock BBS (rusdrunkbear Handlebar Ti handle)
Blade: Silver Star (5 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey Persian Jar (Shavemac 24mm Finest)
Lather: TFS Rasozero Agrumella
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado

Four passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The BBS like a neutral angle. Go out of that narrow angle and efficiency suffers. Luckily, the angle is fairly intuitive. Use the correct angle and the BBS is a really smooth operator. This razor is comfortable. As smooth as it is, the BBS still maintains decent efficiency, albeit it needs 3 to 4 passes plus touch-up. Give the BBS what it needs and it will provide a nice, close, smooth and comfortable shave.

In my opinion, the BBS would be a wonderful daily driver for many shavers. Recommended. :thumbsup:

Nice shave! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20210110
shave 20210110_113126_2.jpg

Razor: Yates 921-M
Blade: Silver Star (1)
Brush: H. L. Thater 4292/5 25mm Finest 2-Band Silvertip
Lather: TFS Rasozero Agrumella
Aftershave: TFS Rasozero Agrumella
Fragrance: Enforce Homme Eau de Cologne Spray (ParfumsBelcam version of Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce)

The 921-M is a very nice mild-side-of-medium razor. The shaving angle is intuitive. The shave is smooth and irritation free. The 921-M would make, in my opinion, an excellent daily driver. Recommended for shavers who want a milder razor to use every day. :thumbsup:

Very nice shave! :cool:

Thank you, my friend. :)

I am quite curious how the final ranking of the high efficiency razors (RazoRock Lupo Stainless 0.95, Ikon B1 Standard, Yates 921-H, Blackland Razors Dart) will turn out. :)

Guess I could put the SB-F plate on the Karve and add it to the high efficiency group.

you should add an .84 JAWS to that list. Significantly better than the SB IMO.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
you should add an .84 JAWS to that list. Significantly better than the SB IMO.
I couldn’t do the 84 Jaws. It was quite an irritating razor on my face. A lot rougher than the 84p, and not much benefit to the shave results for me. Ymmv of course.

Top Bottom